big 9 basketball

unc1

anytime your PG has 7 turnovers, most chances are that you will not win the game. Sylvester is a true SG, but the year has almost ended and there has been ample time to adjust, given the talent level this kid posesses. There is no team chemistry with the Tribe this year. I also think, looking back at last year, that last year's team was deeper and had a PG in Throp. A team with the caliber players as the Indians have still need a "true" PG to mesh together and "control" tempo. You may be able to get away with it against most teams, especially around here, but without a PG, against teams equal to the playing level, the team missing a PG will, more-than-not, lose. Maybe the Tribe can get hot and rectify their situation, because now everyone has the same record and a new season is upon us after tomorrow. GOD Bless...... /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anytime your PG has 7 turnovers, most chances are that you will not win the game. Sylvester is a true SG, but the year has almost ended and there has been ample time to adjust, given the talent level this kid posesses. There is no team chemistry with the Tribe this year. I also think, looking back at last year, that last year's team was deeper and had a PG in Throp. A team with the caliber players as the Indians have still need a "true" PG to mesh together and "control" tempo. You may be able to get away with it against most teams, especially around here, but without a PG, against teams equal to the playing level, the team missing a PG will, more-than-not, lose. Maybe the Tribe can get hot and rectify their situation, because now everyone has the same record and a new season is upon us after tomorrow. GOD Bless...... /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

well first off we need to establish that Throp was not even on the team last yr and it was Williams at point guard. So lets get that fact. The yr that Throp was there DB got knocked out by Knox Powell in the sub-state.

I don't think Sylvester played timid, but yes, he did have some turnovers because he is NOT a true point guard. He is great at creating for himself and others off of the wing, but not so much from the point. Ashlon did show up, and I wouldn't expect anything else from him going back home. However, I don't agree with you that Halvorsen kept them in the game. For every basket he scored, he would give up one on the other end. He played pretty well on offense, but they did not get any help from him on the defensive end of the floor. But, the same can be said for every perimeter player DB had out there with the exception of Sylvester.

Also have to remember that Halvorsen was given the great task of guarding Odem. And there hasnt been anybody able to stop him so far this year. The kid isnt just the best player in the conference.. he's a top 5 player in the state. And yes that counts Memphis. Odem is the real deal. So you cant just say he killed them on defense, cause it wouldnt have mattered who guarded Odem cause he was going to do the same thing to anybody. Halvorsen prob did the best out of anyone. Though thats not saying much considering Odem dropped 26 on the Indians.

Region 1 Scoreboard ??“ Week of Monday, Feb. 9-Monday, Feb. 16

Monday, February 9

Elizabethton 62, David Crockett 50

Morristown East 60, Hancock Co. 34

Cocke Co. 91, Jefferson Co. 60

Morristown West 41, Cherokee 34

Tuesday, February 10

Science Hill 74, Dobyns Bennett 57

Tennessee High 51, David Crockett 35

Daniel Boone 67, Sullivan Central 50

Sullivan East 70, Volunteer 61

Morristown West 65, Sullivan South 51

Greeneville 49, Morristown East 43

Gatlinburg Pittman 62, Cocke Co. 54

Jefferson Co. 61, South Doyle 60

Wednesday, February 11

No games scheduled

Thursday, February 12

Sullivan East @ Science Hill

Dobyns Bennett @ Daniel Boone

Sullivan South @ David Crockett

Volunteer @ Sullivan Central

Morristown East @ Sevier Co.

Cherokee @ Grainger

Jefferson Co. @ North Greene

Friday, February 13

Tennessee High @ Virginia High, VA

Cocke Co. @ Heritage

Jefferson Co. @ Carter

Saturday, February 14

North Greene @ Greeneville

Sunday, February 15

No games scheduled

Monday, February 16

Morristown East @ Gatlinburg Pittman

West Greene @ Cherokee

-----------------------------

Current Big 9 Conference Standings ??“ As of 2/11

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Science Hill, 14-1 (23-4)

Tennessee High, 13-3 (19-9)

Dobyns Bennett, 12-3 (21-5)

Sullivan East, 8-7 (16-10)

Sullivan South, 6-9 (14-14)

Sullivan Central, 6-9 (15-12)

Daniel Boone, 6-9 (12-14)

Volunteer, 3-12 (8-19)

David Crockett, 0-15 (4-21)

Current Inter-Mountain Athletic Conference Standings ??“ As of 2/11

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Morristown East, 9-1 (20-6)

Cocke Co., 7-3 (13-9)

Greeneville, 7-3 (18-11)

Cherokee, 4-6 (10-14)

Morristown West, 3-7 (12-13)

Jefferson Co., 0-10 (5-20)

tricitiessportsfan Picks:

Thursday, February 12

Science Hill over Sullivan East

Dobyns Bennett over Daniel Boone

Sullivan South over David Crockett

Sullivan Central over Volunteer

tricitiessportsfan Pick'em record: 55-13

TMSAA State Sectional Tournament (Large Division) @ Pigeon Forge

Saturday February 7

Play-In Games

Ross N. Robinson 43, Northview 34

T.A. Dugger 50, New Center 32

Quarterfinals

Science Hill 67, Union Grove 35

Jefferson 48, Sevierville 41

Monday, February 9

Quarterfinal

North Loudon 59, Ross N. Robinson 44

Wednesday, February 11

Quarterfinal

5:00 pm, Robertsville vs. T.A. Dugger

Friday February 13

Semi-Finals

7:00 pm, Science Hill vs. Jefferson

8:15 pm, North Loudon vs. Robertsville/T.A. Dugger Winner

Saturday, February 14

Championship

TBA, TBD

TMSAA State Sectional Tournament (Small Division) @ Sevierville

Saturday February 7

Play-In Games

Holston 44, Boyds Creek 41

Rogersville City 51, Catons Chapel 19

Quarterfinals

Mary Hughes 62, Rockwood 39

Lenoir City 42, Pi Beta Phi 37

Tuesday February 10

Quarterfinals

Holston 41, Midway 34

Rogersville City 43, Petros Joyner 26

Friday February 13

Semi-Finals

5:45 pm, Holston vs. Rogersville City

8:15 pm, Lenoir City vs. Mary Hughes

Saturday February 14, 2009

Championship

4:15 pm, Holston/Rogersville City Winner vs. Lenoir City/Mary Hughes Winner

My take on the Science Hill victory over Dobyns Bennett is fairly simple. Science Hill came out of the gate ready to play, Dobyns Bennett started slow, again. Before the Tribe knew what hit them they were down by 9 at the end of the first quarter, 22-13. From there, Science Hill kept Dobyns Bennett at arms length for the remainder of the game, never letting the Indians make a serious push at cutting the deficit. It??™s my opinion that the Indians played with Science Hill for the majority of the game, trading baskets in the middle quarters and deep into the fourth. It was the run Science Hill put together in the first quarter that did the Indians in. Defense was an obvious issue last night for the Tribe, as were missed free throws, and not finishing at the rim in transition. The Tribe did a poor job coming off screens and contesting shots all night. In response, Coach Cutlip ran an isolation offense in the first half that keyed on Halverson??™s inability to aggressively defend. I feel Halverson did a better job defending in the second half, but by then the Hill was in firm control of dictating the pace of the game. In the general, the Indians performance on defense leaves much to be desired. Offensively, the inside game was lacking, perimeter shooting was decent, ball handling was poor, and rebounding was atrocious. I attribute most of this to the ??

Did anyone hear Bill Meade say 'Roll Tribe' on air yesterday afternoon?

Isn't he a D-B alumnus? I would think it reasonable for him to express support for his alma mater.

In addition TCSF,I also would think D-B heavily favored to beat Boone,but I believe you already have them seeded 2nd for the tourney. If the impossible happened,could they not finish 3rd? They are at Boone after a deflating loss for the conference championship. Did they blowout Boone earlier in the season?

Isn't he a D-B alumnus? I would think it reasonable for him to express support for his alma mater.

In addition TCSF,I also would think D-B heavily favored to beat Boone,but I believe you already have them seeded 2nd for the tourney. If the impossible happened,could they not finish 3rd? They are at Boone after a deflating loss for the conference championship. Did they blowout Boone earlier in the season?

I think Boone took them to OT first time.

In addition TCSF, I also would think D-B heavily favored to beat Boone,but I believe you already have them seeded 2nd for the tourney. If the impossible happened,could they not finish 3rd? They are at Boone after a deflating loss for the conference championship. Did they blowout Boone earlier in the season?

Yes sir, Bill is a Dobyns Bennett alum. I was the caller who got him to say it, /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />. I have Dobyns Bennett seeded second because I am assuming they will beat Daniel Boone. That assumption, however, may not be a good one, as the Tribe squeaked out a win, 75-69 in overtime, at Buck Van Huss earlier in the season. If the impossible did happen, yes they would finish third, at 12-4, behind Science Hill at 15-1 or 14-2 and Tennessee High at 13-3. With a win, however, the Indians will move into a 13-3 tie for second with Tennessee High, in which Dobyns Bennett holds the head to head tiebreaker, sweeping the Vikings in the regular season. To clarify, a Dobyns Bennett win means a #2 seed, a Dobyns Bennett loss means a #3 seed. crawdad, are you traveling to Gray tonight to watch my Indians, /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />?