Sullivan North 6-1 (3-1) at Sullivan South 7-0 (4-0)

kingsportfan

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What defensive coverage??™s have seemed to work to slow the Rebel offense? I would prefer an answer, not a 'nothing can stop the Rebels' like statement.

IMO...being able to matching athleticism and speed with athleticism and speed is the only way to slow down the passing attach of the Rebels. I say "slow down" because to stop this attach you would more than likely have to fudge on the ground game and that would be a mistake with Fletcher in the wing. Being able to run with Kitzmiller (who is obviously the lightning rod of this storm) will be key to preventing the "big play" that is the dagger to their attach and the reason South has completely overwhelmed 90% of their opponents by halftime. Let's just face it, South possesses a two edged sword...and as long as Coach Carter continues to smartly balance the play calling it will be awfully hard for any defense to keep them from lighting up the score board unless you keep them off the field with a time consuming but effective offense.

IMO...being able to matching athleticism and speed with athleticism and speed is the only way to slow down the passing attach of the Rebels. I say "slow down" because to stop this attach you would more than likely have to fudge on the ground game and that would be a mistake with Fletcher in the wing. Being able to run with Kitzmiller (who is obviously the lightning rod of this storm) will be key to preventing the "big play" that is the dagger to their attach and the reason South has completely overwhelmed 90% of their opponents by halftime. Let's just face it, South possesses a two edged sword...and as long as Coach Carter continues to smartly balance the play calling it will be awfully hard for any defense to keep them from lighting up the score board unless you keep them off the field with a time consuming but effective offense.

Doesn't it seem like yesterday Cap that everyone was telling us how we were a "one man team" and how we'd fall from grace A.C. (after Curt)? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I think most of North's offensive production will depend on Matt Washington's health. North is a good team overall, but Washington is their playmaker. They give him the ball when they want a touchdown. Without him they are very methodical on offense. Their offense is relatively simple, only running a handful of plays. Thus far it has worked for the Raiders. Behind North, South is the next best defense according to statistics. I believe this will be the toughest defense North will play this season and it will be enough for South to secure a victory. Most of the Elizabethton-North game was played in Elizabethton territory and yet the final score was only 22-14. North should've been able to punch it in a few times more, the goaline stance as the 2nd quarter expired comes to mind.

I've only seen South once this season, in Week Zero when they played Science Hill. As they played I was thinking to myself, "Ok, South is good this year but there not as good as last year." Looking back on that I have to say that I was thinking subjectively. The Rebel defense is better than last year; the running game will be a lot better as long as Fletcher gets his share of carries. They either have more weapons offensively or they are able to better utilize their players with the absence of Curt Philips. Having a balanced attack out of the spread will create difficulties for any defense, which is why I think the Rebels will be playing the day after Thanksgiving.

My prediction for this game is South 35 North 17. Although the Rebels are the clear the favorite, they better not sit on a lead or North will try their hardest to establish a comeback.

What defensive coverage's have seemed to slow the rebels offense down? I would prefer an answer, not a 'nothing can stop the Rebels' like statement. I don't know if anyone can claim that they have slowed the Rebel's offense down. Even though the Rebels only scored 28 points in Week Zero, they had about 200 yards rushing. I do, however, know what will slow down the Rebel's offense. It's called the Black Swarm. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I remember going to the South-Science Hill game and saying "If we don't get any better as the weeks go by, we're not going to be that good" You have to remember that it was Davenport's first game starting even though he's a senior. I think he threw 2 interceptions in that game as well. South didn't really get going in that game until they started handing the ball off to Fletcher. I've watched every game since that night and South is a much, much better team now. Davenport looked like he was stuck in mud that night but runs around and drags defenders now. The problem trying to defend South is you must have a shutdown corner for Kitzmiller, need a good set of linebackers especially a middle linebacker, and a defensive line to get some kind of penetration so you aren't trying to tackle Fletcher 5 yards downfield. You have to be able to score as well. Like I said, Science Hill is the worst game they've played this year and they still scored 28 points. Should be interesting to see if North comes out using the DB method of blitz, blitz, blitz.

Doesn't it seem like yesterday Cap that everyone was telling us how we were a "one man team" and how we'd fall from grace A.C. (after Curt)? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Yea I know what you mean. I think I remember one poster saying that Curt was taking up money at the gate and selling popcorn in the concession at halftime during the THS game. You would still have trouble convincing most outside the South camp that the ???one man team??? label didn??™t apply to the Rebels last year??¦but that??™s obviously not the case this year. And as far as ???falling from grace after Curt?????¦nothings changed??¦you??™re still going down big boy /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> . Can we get that ???I won??™t post on Coacht anymore if we loose??? deal again this year?? /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Yea I know what you mean. I think I remember one poster saying that Curt was taking up money at the gate and selling popcorn in the concession at halftime during the THS game. You would still have trouble convincing most outside the South camp that the ???one man team??? label didn??™t apply to the Rebels last year??¦but that??™s obviously not the case this year. And as far as ???falling from grace after Curt?????¦nothings changed??¦you??™re still going down big boy /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> . Can we get that ???I won??™t post on Coacht anymore if we loose??? deal again this year?? /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

You know me, I'm a gambler and some would say a sucker! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" If we lose a regular season game, I'm out! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> How's that for confidence?! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

You know me, I'm a gambler and some would say a sucker! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" If we lose a regular season game, I'm out! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> How's that for confidence?! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Impressive??¦but you do know that this game is on Halloween and there could possible be a full moon? /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Impressive??¦but you do know that this game is on Halloween and there could possible be a full moon? /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Even better. With the full moon, stadium lights, and us lighting up the score board, you shouldn't have a hard time seeing this beat down! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I remember going to the South-Science Hill game and saying "If we don't get any better as the weeks go by, we're not going to be that good" You have to remember that it was Davenport's first game starting even though he's a senior. I think he threw 2 interceptions in that game as well. South didn't really get going in that game until they started handing the ball off to Fletcher. I've watched every game since that night and South is a much, much better team now. Davenport looked like he was stuck in mud that night but runs around and drags defenders now. The problem trying to defend South is you must have a shutdown corner for Kitzmiller, need a good set of linebackers especially a middle linebacker, and a defensive line to get some kind of penetration so you aren't trying to tackle Fletcher 5 yards downfield. You have to be able to score as well. Like I said, Science Hill is the worst game they've played this year and they still scored 28 points. Should be interesting to see if North comes out using the DB method of blitz, blitz, blitz.

I know. Like I said, it was wishful thinking on my part as a Viking fan.