Post season scores

chasanooga

No upset here... Mt. Juliet has one of the best unknown soccer player in Middle Tennessee in the name of Morgan Shaffer. In the 2-1 win, she had a goal and an assist in Saturday tournament. The winning goal was scored with about 3 minutes remaining in the game. She had two goals in the 2-3 loss to Gallatin earlier in the season. Also in 2007 tournament against Gallatin, she had both goals in a 2-1 win. For the season, she has 18 goals and 8+ assists. Big game tonight against Beech??¦.

"Valley," forgive me in advance for using your post as a springboard for discussion. I mean no ill will toward the team or player mentioned above, however, I fell your post can be used as a cautionary tale for parents and players that become overly consumed with the numbers.

While no one faults parental/coach/fan pride, be careful when speaking with your player about stats. In my opinion there is too much emphasis on gaining stats in the high school soccer game. Each season I hear kudos about goals-scores that have posted huge numbers of goals only to research the quality of opponents played and learn that the competition was not up to par. Each year I hear from parents of players with impressive scoring numbers only to learn that the coach's strategy on the team was to give that one girl the ball and let her take it to the goal. Inevitably, this strategy only lessens the quality of play in the rest of the field and does not allow for the skill development or strategic decision-making of the player in question.

The posted statistics in the media and the spouting of numerical data attributed to a single player has reduced the overall understanding among youth players of the real beauty in soccer - teamwork, strategic thinking and finesse. I am sure that the player mentioned above is a talented player; however, I am as sure that the ten other players on the field with her contributed to each of those goals. THAT is soccer.

Youth players that are conditioned to feel that they must put numbers on the board to prove their value to the team or to a coach decrease the number of girls that concentrate on defensive skills, accurate possession and distribution and goal-keeping. Without strength in these integral aspects, any team is one-dimensional and easily overcome.

My advice - and I understand it has not been requested - when talking to your players about each of those important goals, ensure that they have an in-depth understanding of what worked: from pass to pass, tackle to serve, cross to cover. Discuss each person's role in the success of the shot and all will be the better for it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the western region scores for Monday evening:

#4 seed St Benedicts over #5 seed Hutcison with score of 1 to 0 - goal near the end of the first half for SBA. Hutchison scored with 45 seconds remaining in the 2nd half, but it was called back with a questionable off sides call

#3 seed St Agnes over #6 seed St Marys with a score of 5 to 0. Score was 2 to 0 at the half.

Tuesday play will have:

St Agnes playing #2 seed Briarcrest at 5:00

St Benedicts playing #1 seed ECS at 7:00

Here are the western region scores for Monday evening:

#4 seed St Benedicts over #5 seed Hutcison with score of 1 to 0 - goal near the end of the first half for SBA. Hutchison scored with 45 seconds remaining in the 2nd half, but it was called back with a questionable off sides call

#3 seed St Agnes over #6 seed St Marys with a score of 5 to 0. Score was 2 to 0 at the half.

Tuesday play will have:

St Agnes playing #2 seed Briarcrest at 5:00

St Benedicts playing #1 seed ECS at 7:00

St. Benedict no S

Hutchison not Hutcison

Three girls were off sides, I took pictures. No question at all.

SAA (St. Agnes) 4 (four) over St. Mary's

Were you there? Or getting report by phone. Glad to give you my #. How do you see tomorrow's games?

St. Benedict no S

Hutchison not Hutcison

Three girls were off sides, I took pictures. No question at all.

SAA (St. Agnes) 4 (four) over St. Mary's

Were you there? Or getting report by phone. Glad to give you my #. How do you see tomorrow's games?

Yes....wish I could be perfect typer like you and not make any typos.....must be old age setting in.....

No.....all of my info was from my "reliable" source who was at the game.....guess they thought thye saw SAA score 5 goals. It sounded reasonable since Briacrest scored five goals against St Marys in league play. My source was a Hutchison parent who stayed for the 2nd game. He must have mis-counted in his dispair over the earlier loss.

From what I understand and during league play, ECS scored on SBA late in the game and only beat them 1 to 0. I have heard that a strong Junior at ECS has torn her MCL recently. Their game should be very close, but it depends on the ref situation......SBA plays a very physcal game and it depends on the calls that are made. The SAA/BCS league game was very exciting and I hope for another strong game tonight....and, of course, a BCS win would be nice.

Is there any truth to the rumor that both St Marys and ECS are considering a move to D2-A for next year?

See you tonight!