Seigel nightmare

Strawplainswhopper

I agree wheres the staff that brought these kids to watch? If you cant be a young man or lady then stay home! Cheer for your team but leave your trash at home, this is a disgrace to all the girls who have worked so hard.And also nothing wrong with the siegel and Blackman folks, great job guys! This was just to overwheming for local high schools,

Hello we are going to Atlanta this mornig to watch Kelsey play, we kept up with the goings on down at the state. I was disapointed to hear AC went down but just remember not a whole lot of people gave them a chance of getting there. It was amazing the level of compition AC brings evertime out and this will NOT be the last trip to the money hole. WHAT COMES AFTER 11 in a row I think it is 12 make it happen.

Tell All the girls Kesley and family were cheering for them and hoping they would be able to pull it off.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree wheres the staff that brought these kids to watch? If you cant be a young man or lady then stay home! Cheer for your team but leave your trash at home, this is a disgrace to all the girls who have worked so hard.And also nothing wrong with the siegel and Blackman folks, great job guys! This was just to overwheming for local high schools,

This is not a knock on siegel or Blackman.... I am sure they are doing an outstanding job ... The problem is that it should not be their job to do. Do you think that the kids are acting worse this year than any other... no way, you are just in an arena that you can see, hear and react (a high school).

Hello we are going to Atlanta this mornig to watch Kelsey play, we kept up with the goings on down at the state. I was disapointed to hear AC went down but just remember not a whole lot of people gave them a chance of getting there. It was amazing the level of compition AC brings evertime out and this will NOT be the last trip to the money hole. WHAT COMES AFTER 11 in a row I think it is 12 make it happen.

Tell All the girls Kesley and family were cheering for them and hoping they would be able to pull it off.

Hey be careful down there! Tell Kelsey to make us proud, This was a real mess this year just flat awful! But the girls handled it very well and didnt play bad. The younger girls grew up fast! I think it will push them to work harder to get back to it next year! I saw a little twinkle in their eye!!!!

I am going to disagree with most on this forum about the subject and I am also gong to have some of those who are with the TSSAA to remember back 2 to three years ago when I posted about senarios happening just like this and I was told that the chair official, since they had control of the game, could take care of any situation. He was in control. My position was, and still is, that the rules need to be tightened up for crowd control. This situation that you let an official make every decision and not have them outlined in a rulebook that sometimes is archaine is unbelieveable. At that time and now, this sport is in transition and Don't tell me this doesn't need to be looked at in the rules. I commend the Siegel coach for the fortitude she took in staring down Students that were out of bounds. In the archane rules, The Official is supposed to tell the Coacjh and the Coach is supposed to handle it, if she does it herself or gets security to do it and if need be with the official. If you don't think this 5'4" Coach wouldn't have gane into the stands with security and pulled some one out, you would be mistaken. She's done that before and called out infractions and those who did it Fans, parents and Students know what is fixing to happen if it persists. First of all, the official needed to start the ball rolling and then Coach Paulk and the Security and the Coach of the offending school needed to take charge. Thats the rule. In their defense, Siegel security is not bashful in any means. They handle things as they come. What now is evident is the rules are too ambiguous, are not specific enough and the Officials and Coaches and the Tournament Directors do not act with one accord enough and are not confident enough with rules that let too much disgression be used. Was there a security meeting with coaches and security and the officials to again make sure everything was covered.?

It is obvious this is not the last time this will happen and to just let the officials handle it at their disgression without guidence is not something that needs to go on. Two,Three years ago crowds had started getting larger in volleyball. Instead of an arena you could hear a pin drop in, a lot of emotion started to occur and a great deal was said about noise. Pardon me, noise is a part of this game with the acceptance. Impropriety is not. IMO, an official, a Tournament Official and a Coach only has to do this one time and draw the line in the sand and its gone. the same thing about any argument in a match. What is the procedure, and there is one, and does everyone know what it is. Its been stated on here many times. For anyone who thinks this is just a Girly Sport, have another think coming. This game Will defend itself.

This is not a knock on siegel or Blackman.... I am sure they are doing an outstanding job ... The problem is that it should not be their job to do. Do you think that the kids are acting worse this year than any other... no way, you are just in an arena that you can see, hear and react (a high school).

My 2 cents worth & I am not there this week, nor have I ever been to Siegel or Blackman schools, but since this was a late decision made by the T$$AA to have this tournament at these schools, I would almost guarantee you that they did not do any kind of onsite walk thru at either school with the administrators prior to this event. I bet crowd control, parking arrangements, ect were never discussed. Just admission pricing, parking pricing and concession pricing and then only to what pertains to T$$AA's % of cut expected of each. I imagine the (VOLUNTEERS) at each school were overwhelmed, but were doing the best they could with little if any support. WE ALL KNOW THAT EACH SCHOOL BASICALLY HAS THE SAME PARENTS VOLUNTEERING FOR EVERYTHING. To them, I would say, "Thank you for your help and sorry that the T$$AA threw this in your lap." As for the rowdy crowds, SURELY, someone from the Administration of the offensive school's students was there for the STATE SEMIS & CHAMPIONSHIP??? SURELY say it is so, but shame on them for doing NOTHING! Just my opionion, maybe there is more to the story than is being told.

it should be the job of the administrator from the school that is being obnoxious. I have seen administrators take control of their student section and I have seen them sit by and watch.

And I have seen situations that numbers have been suspended for taking inappropriate actions.

This isnt about the fine folks at siegel or Blackman, please do not take it this way. TSSAA HAS ENOUGH MONEY TO DO WHAT IT NEEDS TO DO! IS THIS ABOUT MAKING MONEY OR TAKING CARE OF OUR KIDS? I THINK TSSAA SHOULD BE MADE INTO A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION, AND NOT ABLE TO MAKE THE MONEY! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, WHEN WE AS PARENTS AND FANS GET OUR BELLYS FULL OF THIS STUFF MAYBE THEN SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN~

My 2 cents worth & I am not there this week, nor have I ever been to Siegel or Blackman schools, but since this was a late decision made by the T$$AA to have this tournament at these schools, I would almost guarantee you that they did not do any kind of onsite walk thru at either school with the administrators prior to this event. I bet crowd control, parking arrangements, ect were never discussed. Just admission pricing, parking pricing and concession pricing and then only to what pertains to T$$AA's % of cut expected of each. I imagine the (VOLUNTEERS) at each school were overwhelmed, but were doing the best they could with little if any support. WE ALL KNOW THAT EACH SCHOOL BASICALLY HAS THE SAME PARENTS VOLUNTEERING FOR EVERYTHING. To them, I would say, "Thank you for your help and sorry that the T$$AA threw this in your lap." As for the rowdy crowds, SURELY, someone from the Administration of the offensive school's students was there for the STATE SEMIS & CHAMPIONSHIP??? SURELY say it is so, but shame on them for doing NOTHING! Just my opionion, maybe there is more to the story than is being told.

Shockingly enough, there was a walk through and all of that was discussed. I am very, very proud of the parents, players and coach's of Siegel. If not for them, it would have been way worse. Can you imagine how bad it would have been if Siegel would have qualified for the state? Since they did 90% of the work...it would have been so much worse. Thank you to Ms. Doris, Coach Slaughter, and Mr. Lykins....and too many parents and players to even try to mention by name.

It was interesting to see TSSAA officials sitting at the table watching, while line judges had to keep people of the court.

And amidst all that, I think it went pretty well. And beleive me when I say, whatever money the programs get out of this.....it wasn't worth it I would bet.

Overwhelmed....to say the least.

Congrats to siegel and Blackman for handling things as well as they did. To the TSSAA I truely hope you realize after this week that a high school gym is no place to hold a State Championship. A high school gym with 2 courts set up allows no room for fans to come and go. Teams playing on the first court at siegel had to stop their games to allow for fans from the 2nd court to file out when they were done playing. Talk about a momentum buster. Officials were constantly having to play traffic cops instead of concentrating on their job as line judge. There was barely enough room for players to step back and serve let alone jump serve, then to have the fans right on your back, lets add a little more stress to these players. One other probelm I felt was unfair. Div II played their championship games at the same time, while AA and AAA had the luxury of playing on center court. It is an unfair advantage to Div II players to have had to play their Championship games in such close quarters -- walls less than five feet from the court, screaming fans right on top of you. Maybe they enjoyed it but I think they deserved better. Congrats to ALL of the participants of this years State Championships. TSSAA I truely hope that some day you realize that volleyball should not be teated like your forgotten stepchild, the players, coaches and fans deserve better than what you gave them this year...... For 2009 why don't you start looking at Lipscomb and Belmont now, don't wait till a month before next years tournament to start planning the tournament.

siegel coaches, players, parents and all other volunteers -- Thank you, you done good!

I really didn't mind all of the kids. I minded the closeness to the court and their rude and crude cheers. I couldn't believe how the Independance kids waved and reached for the Farragut girls as they served. Yes they were later toned down but not until one game was already lost. The worst for me was no control over random teams and spectators coming on Court 1 throughout the whole event especially during serves. Next time just find a venue with upper seating only. Out of reach and only teams playing and officials on the court.

There will be time to analyze playing the Tournament at Siegel and Blackman. If you was charged $10 for one day parking, I would suggest you take your ticket to the gate of the Arena and tell them of the case and they will get someone to get in to it and find out how it happened. The Parking ticket says that the price is $5.00 to park. Siegel was crowded both days and Schools rented busses and brought a lot of students. While I did not see it, Blackman did have a great crowd but A/AA and DivII was there and having large student attendance did not have as much impact. To the students credit, and they were great, when the match was over, they got out of the playing area very quickly so the next wave of students could get in to the arena. The comment on crowd control and security was absolutely right. If this had been done any less organized, it would not have worked as well as it did. Siegel was full most of the time and Blackman had a crowd all of the time but it was not as full. AAA schools brought a lot of people. Independence, Cookeville, RedBank, Anderson Co., Houston County brought huge crowds. Tomorrow Dobyns Bennett is bringing bus loads of students for the semifinals along with Independence and Brentwood will also along with Redbank. Friday is the day that all schools in Middle Tennessee bring their teams to see the State Tournament. AA and DII will have normal crowds except for Greenbrier, Boyd, Ryan and Page who will bring good crowds. ALL DAY THERE WERE SEATS IN THE UPPER AREA OF THE ARENA TO BE USED. PARKING, WHILE COMPLAINED ABOUT, IS NEAR THE ARENA WHEN YOU COMPARE IT WITH MURPHY AND THERE IS NO LONG ROW OF STEPS TO WALK TO THE ARENA. NO LONG LINES WERE SEEN AT THE TICKET TABLES AND THEY WERE WELL MANED. WHILE CONCESSIONS WERE BUSY, THEY WERE WELL MANNED AND ORGANIZED AND HAD MANY ITEMS NOT SEEN AT MURPHY. AS WAS STATED THOUGH, THIS EVENT WAS PROMOTED FOR STUDENT ATTENDANCE BY THE SCHOOLS AND THE LAST PART OF THE SEASON, MANY SCHOOLS HAD AN INCREASE IN STUDENT INTEREST IN VOLLEYBALL AND IF YOU COULD HAVE SEEN THE MATCHES AND SKILLS SHOWN AT THIS STATE TOURNAMENT, YOU WOULD HAVE UNDERSTOOD WHY ALL OF THESE STUDENTS SHOWED UP. Tomorrow will be a good attendance day also. The patrons at Siegel and Blackman worked very hard on this event and while there were some logistic problems, everything did move along well and the Schools with large attendence did move in and out of the arena quickly and the presence of Security was noticeable and controlled the scene. This subject should be covered later after the Tournament is over.

Announcements