Maryville-D.B.

STARSNBARS

I will bet that MHS has beaten cowboys' team somewhere along the way. I think cowboys needs to leave calling what's dirty or not dirty, up to the officials and not try to PILE ON when the opportunity arises. It all goes back to one thing, Maryville is good and people try to find an EXCUSE for their team's poor showing against them. Go Rebs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for that post sportswriter. those games with elizabethton were always hard fought. when we first played them in 97 witten was a sophomore and started on both sides of the ball. and you made a very good point. football is a game of agression. when ted wilson was coaching at maryville in the 60's and 70's (he won three state titles)i cannot count the number of times we beat teams that were bigger than us due to his motiviation. a motivated team is an aggressive team. i was kind of thrown for a loop to see that we were perceived as a dirty team. coach ellis (linemen) and coach quarles are both deacons at my parent's church. while that alone does not make them above reproach knowing these two men as i do makes me certain that dirty play is not in their game plan. i am not saying a maryville player has never taken a cheap shot and gotten penalized for it. what teams hasn't? but in the thirty five years i have been watching them play i have never thought of them as dirty. were bear bryant's teams dirty? no but they would knock you out of your socks, help you up and then be there to do it again the next time you came into their area. that is just football.

The Rebels are one of the best coached teams in Tennessee. They have one of the best if not the best program in tennessee. But some of you need to open your eyes. Starsandbars and redreb would not admit that Maryville does anything wrong if they ddid to their own kids. You are blinded. This all started by you accusing this D-B kid of taking a cheap shot. How do we know that it wasn't hustle. If it had been the other way around You would be saying the Maryville player was hustling to the ball. Maryville does play hard and they are very physical that is what makes them so good. But they will also play dirty. They will hit you when you are not looking, they will clip, they will chop, they do curse and taunt. Most of you are in the stands and do not know what goes on. You are CLUELESS. Like the Defensive End that signed with UT a year or so ago. He got thrown out of a game for throwing punches. We saw him do that over and over in films. Does that mean that Quarrles is a bad coach NO. We are actually friends and discuss this quite often. Maryville is a great team with a great coach with a great system and I wish them the best of luck. And for the kid that got hurt I read his post and he is something special. Sounds like a great kid. I wish him the best and my prayers are with him and all the athletes this season

cowboys if you and quarles are such good friends and discuss this often what does he say? how does he explain it? what has he done to try and stop it? i didn't say that the db hit was a cheap shot.(i know some did) maybe it was late maybe it wasn't. but even if it was i wouldn't accuse him of a cheap shot. he is a kid. those things happen. and i am sure when he hit rouse he didn't intend to put him out for the season. you seem to know a lot more about the character of our program than we do. the player who got thrown out was throwing a retaliatory punch in the playoff game against central in 1999. to my knowledge we haven't had one thrown out since. i am sure things are said on the field. by just about every team out there. particularly in the trenches. i seriously doubt that maryville or any other school can take credit for originating that. and if the chop blocks and clips are so abundant from maryville i guess the refs just look the other way? whether or not you say we have one of the best programs in the state we take offense to this thug like mentality that you have put on our players. maybe we are clueless. but i also suspect you are not quite as "all knowing" as you present yourself to be.

hey easttnsportswriter, i know a kid that was on the sideline during that game where everyone thinks cole, the receiver, was out of bounds. in all fairness he really wasnt. sorry i know now its not a big deal but just to clear things up....... he honestly was in bounds

I didn't say it was a cheap shot. But it was a foul. And a player lost his junior season on that play. Cowboys who is your team? My eyes are WIDE open. All I see is players playing hard till the whistle blows. So again tell us who is your team? Your team must have been someone we've played, since you've studied all this film on us and talk to George. I'm interested to hear. Go Rebs.

The best teams who are noted for playing an aggressive

clean game will have a dirty player show up once and a

while. And there will always be teams that are dirty or

walk the line. What really separates teams is how coaches

respond to their athletes that cross the line. A good coach who really cares about young men on both sides of the ball

will go nuts and celebrate a great clean hit but he won't

wait for a referee to send a cheap shot hitter to the side lines. Best wishes to all hardhitting players and coaches

who draw the line.

:rolleyes::D:D:D

I'm not going to say that Maryville is or isn't cheap. But I have noticed that many of the Maryville supporters always defend their team...and possibly to the extreme. I went to a Church of Christ school and played for them for four years. We never had a guy ejected, was their taunting...yes

was there cursing...yes, was there cheap shots...yes, was that a part of the game...yes, Did the fans in the stands hear it...NO, Did the fans in the stands think they heard something...possibly (don't know, don't care). I think MHS fans support their team, and I have nothing wrong with that at all, as long as they keep things in reality I think its perfectly fine. It's one thing to say you guys will win state, might very well do it...quite another to say you guys are the best in the SE, or Nation. I haven't heard that yet, so I don't think you guys are necessarily blind...but I have never seen you guys come on here and say that you simply got whipped or the other team was better (im not even talking just about football). I hear things like Alex Rouse is the most athletic qb in the state, or Colton Baker is the best linebacker in the state..etc.

If Rouse was so good, why didn't he start last year? I'm sure Giles was a great qb, but that just doesn't make sense to me. Why is Baker going to TN Tech (no offense to baker or TN Tech) but that just doesn't live up to the hype that I thought it would? Am I being wrong? I think yall have the second best program in the state behind BA. And I think teams are quick to point a spotlight at you guys and accuse u of cheating or cheapshots or anything else. I wouldn't worry to much about them, or this post...but sometimes it is real hard to understand if you guys are being completely honest, or just being an avid fan (I have that problem alot)

P.S.-I do think yall do a good job of not rubbing it in anyones faces or making teams feel bad, I look forward to seeing you guys play this year.

Me,STARSNBARS,Dixie Bellringer,Mapperman,Old Reb and other Maryville fans made no excuses when Morristown West beat us last year. We said Morristown West whipped us and deserved the game. We all gave Morristown West credit and said that we hope we play them again. When we beat Morristown West the MW fans congratulated Maryville and made no excuses.

You are wrong this time Ego.