Dobyns Bennett Football

Everyone lost a substantial number of Seniors. The Island returns the fastest back in NET in the Mitchell kid. Granted, he was not a premier back because he lacked basic understanding of the six RB techniques. He also had bad habits. In the open field he was a track star. Against South in week 0 he was containable. Later in the season he was beginning to understand the drill. He may not have been the force against DB but they did play you to the wire. They have two other viable backs. They were a different team between week 0 and the end of the season as was everyone but I feel they were the most improved of all the teams in NET. And they shut down Sensabaugh. It's a gut instinct for me...I feel '09 will be the year they turn the corner. SS calmed down and got back to basics and even though his offense was still influenced by trickery I think he will play even more solid football and less Primadonna football. But most of all I think the 'Toppers are finally buying into the notion that he has something to offer. The athletes are in that school and I think they will now be attracted to the program.

That's not a solid answer to your query but many at South feel indentically. Roop will be a fine QB and it will be Sensabough's year to disprove the naysayers. I feel DB has much to work with despite the monumental loss of Senior's and as stated before this situation is DB's forte'.

The Vikings will reload and South will reload. The Indians will discount such talk but I feel both will compete well with the Island and the Tribe and make for an exciting year of football.

Thank you comp, very well said. I agree with you on the notion that Dobyns Bennett, Science Hill, Sullivan South, and Tennessee High will prove to be basic equals, a push if you will, when each match up comes to fruition. Although it will get my blood up at the time, it's good for community spirit. If any team goes 3-0 against the other three, they'll be in good shape to wrap up the conference title. I personally feel, however, we'll have a conference champion that has one conference loss and will be crowned by tiebreakers.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you comp, very well said. I agree with you on the notion that Dobyns Bennett, Science Hill, Sullivan South, and Tennessee High will prove to be basic equals, a push if you will, when each match up comes to fruition. Although it will get my blood up at the time, it's good for community spirit. If any team goes 3-0 against the other three, they'll be in good shape to wrap up the conference title. I personally feel, however, we'll have a conference champion that has one conference loss and will be crowned by tiebreakers.

I believe the race in the Big 8 will be wide open.A proven and experienced QB/RB tandem is a valuable commodity and Tn Hi has it with Harmon and Sheperd returning. D-B should be close behind with Roop and Sensabaugh. Science Hill has tremendous athleticism and growing swagger but unproven at QB. In that offense a quick footed QB who throws well is crucial and not easy to develop overnight. South will return O-line and D-lines as good as any in the school's history, with all conference line-backers and the Rebels have grown to expect to win.

Coming on in a year or two will be Boone and Volunteer. Church Hill has had very good teams the last two years and Boone's feeder program is very strong. Their program is solid and enrollment is increasing in their school. Both will be capable of upsets. I think it will be very competitive and exciting. I also believe Dobyns-Bennett will have the most at stake because everyone expects them to win but they will always get the local's best shot! Good luck to all. Cannot wait! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Very well then...we are off on the right foot. Maybe we can be professional about it this time around and still enjoy the intense competition that is inherit in this concoction.

I too feel that Harmons year of salting the pork and Shepards maturation could prove to be one of the preseason favorites. Shepard is not the only mail carrier at the Castle though. As well, I feel that DB's backfield will be special. Is Roop a true drop back passer? I don't remember seeing him run with the ball like Jamie could. Could be transitional one way or the other. The Island has some big boys. And yes, the QB situation. South...I can tell you their future rests squarely on the arms of Aaron St. Clair and Seth Watterson. Bobeye is positioned as we speak to assume the Spin Dr.'s role so time will tell. The O & D line are set. The D Backfield will need work. The WR's are All State once again.

So everyone is bringing up QB's except for Bristol. Would like to know who is beside Sensabaugh in the backfield. And was Steele a Senior or is he coming back?

I have been reading in the newspaper about the possiblility of North High closing with students being divided to attend South and Central. Just speaking hypothetically if this were to happen, would it put South and Central enrollment into the new 6A classification in football where they would be playing the Big Dogs in the state playoffs? This could really hurt any chance of them ever making it to the Boro.

I have been reading in the newspaper about the possiblility of North High closing with students being divided to attend South and Central. Just speaking hypothetically if this were to happen, would it put South and Central enrollment into the new 6A classification in football where they would be playing the Big Dogs in the state playoffs? This could really hurt any chance of them ever making it to the Boro.

Sorry, they still wouldn't make it. They are barely in 5A now and North is so small if you split it , South and Central would jump-to the 1450-1470 range and be up there with Mo-East, Mo-West and Henry Co. Even if that did ever happen, it will take a while and re-classification would be due again probably. Who knows what would happen then,but one constant due to annexation is that the city schools will grow larger and the county schools will grow smaller without consolidation. It is much more likely that South and Central would be moving down in classification 5 years from now IMO. TSSAA does not understand our local politics and demographics. Our area rep is from Morristown. I think it a shame that Sullivan Co. schools have been split out of conference play when they are so close in enrollment figures. Brilliant thinking going on in the Boro. Show me the money! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Very well then...we are off on the right foot. Maybe we can be professional about it this time around and still enjoy the intense competition that is inherit in this concoction.

I too feel that Harmons year of salting the pork and Shepards maturation could prove to be one of the preseason favorites. Shepard is not the only mail carrier at the Castle though. As well, I feel that DB's backfield will be special. Is Roop a true drop back passer? I don't remember seeing him run with the ball like Jamie could. Could be transitional one way or the other. The Island has some big boys. And yes, the QB situation. South...I can tell you their future rests squarely on the arms of Aaron St. Clair and Seth Watterson. Bobeye is positioned as we speak to assume the Spin Dr.'s role so time will tell. The O & D line are set. The D Backfield will need work. The WR's are All State once again.

So everyone is bringing up QB's except for Bristol. Would like to know who is beside Sensabaugh in the backfield. And was Steele a Senior or is he coming back Comp, Derrick Steele will be a junior next year.As far as DB'S backfield goes it will my boy Sensabaugh,Mark Irwin or Paul Slaughter at QB it will be a fight between David Roop,Sean Seebolt and Brett Anderson and don't be surprised if its Brett. Hey Chris if you read this I'm back from working in South Carolina....so you can come over anytime and hang with JC................. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

So everyone is bringing up QB's except for Bristol. Would like to know who is beside Sensabaugh in the backfield. And was Steele a Senior or is he coming back Comp, Derrick Steele will be a junior next year.As far as DB'S backfield goes it will my boy Sensabaugh,Mark Irwin or Paul Slaughter at QB it will be a fight between David Roop,Sean Seebolt and Brett Anderson and don't be surprised if its Brett. Hey Chris if you read this I'm back from working in South Carolina....so you can come over anytime and hang with JC................. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

[/quote

Hey Red...Spring drills will be JC's time to make a statement and secure a position. I hope his injury is better. In my view there are 4 candidates for the job and they all bring something different to the table. Stacy will choose who is most consistant. Derek Steele is a performer. Not familiar with the RB's you mentioned...are they scat backs or full backs? In my view, Roop is pretty good. If these other QB's are better then DB has a trump card. Is JC running track?

Central currently has about 1275 census. South is barely above 1000. South's numbers started dwindling about the time Stacy Carter came which was 2004. With the city taking Rock Springs South's time in the sun is now. Their census will drop substantially in the near future. I would say DB would get half the North people before South got them.

Your statement about South making it to the 'Boro is interesting in that South is on the tetering edge of the previous 3A/4A threshold yet under the Stacy Carter regime' have proven to be a powerhouse in football. Everyone knows that when it comes to coaching and numbers that coaching wins out every time. Just ask Science Hill. My point is that South accomplishes their goal with Quality not quantity. And will continue to do so. The '09 season will say quite a bit about Stacy Carter's coaching ability and the quality of the team he can produce. We are all in for some of the best football NET has ever seen.

I understand where you are coming from BatmanDB. I think playing real good teams does get a team ready for the playoffs. I have read on here that DB will be graduating about 29 seniors or so this year. But im sure DB will have plenty of players to step in and take over next season. DB doesnt rebuild....they just simply reload. I am really looking forward to coming up there....i have never been up there before and have heard it is a great place to watch a high school football game! I usually keep up with DB because they have played Oak Ridge for so many years and we play Oak Ridge every year. That has always been a fun game to watch. I just hope my Dragons show up and give you guys a good game to where you dont regret adding us to your schedule.

We have a great place up here to watch a game on the home side,but we didn't have a very good visitors seating last year because of the new turf.I hope they have come up with a way to add some seats without hurting the turf.I loved the game with Oak Ridge and all their pregame stuff.They had all the talent in the world last year and with the right leadership could be a state power again soon.We will loose a lot of great players and fine young men from last years team.A lot of big shoes will be hard to replace this year and time will tell the story for DB.

Central currently has about 1275 census. South is barely above 1000. South's numbers started dwindling about the time Stacy Carter came which was 2004. With the city taking Rock Springs South's time in the sun is now. Their census will drop substantially in the near future. I would say DB would get half the North people before South got them.

Your statement about South making it to the 'Boro is interesting in that South is on the tetering edge of the previous 3A/4A threshold yet under the Stacy Carter regime' have proven to be a powerhouse in football. Everyone knows that when it comes to coaching and numbers that coaching wins out every time. Just ask Science Hill. My point is that South accomplishes their goal with Quality not quantity. And will continue to do so. The '09 season will say quite a bit about Stacy Carter's coaching ability and the quality of the team he can produce. We are all in for some of the best football NET has ever seen.

You're about 200 students too high on Central's numbers comp according to the KTN the last 2 days or TSSAA's re-classification numbers. Whichever you choose ,they are within 20-25 students of South, both well under 1100.

And why would North students end up at Dobyns Bennett if Sullivan Co. re-directed them to South or Central? If they are already paying city taxes I would think they would already be there. Parents would be mad enough uprooting their kids. I doubt any are gonna say "alright, let's pay to go to Dobyns-Bennett now".

You're about 200 students too high on Central's numbers comp according to the KTN the last 2 days or TSSAA's re-classification numbers. Whichever you choose ,they are within 20-25 students of South, both well under 1100.

And why would North students end up at Dobyns Bennett if Sullivan Co. re-directed them to South or Central? If they are already paying city taxes I would think they would already be there. Parents would be mad enough uprooting their kids. I doubt any are gonna say "alright, let's pay to go to Dobyns-Bennett now".

You are right on the numbers crawdad. I think comp is saying it would be closer to attend D-B than to travel to South, but you are right they would have to pay tuition. This whole annexation/school board thing is a mess that we are all going to have to pay for $$taxes$$ because the city and county refuse to plan together.

I feel extreme animosity exists between the North and South communities. And given a choice a majority of North students would choose to attend DB. There is a kinship between the Indians and the Raiders. This is not something of late but goes back to the beginning of North High School. How many parents could afford the cost? Probably not many, but it is my opinion that North students would do most anything to prevent attending South.

Colonial Heights should have done what was proposed long ago...and that would be to have incorporated. Kingsport should have done what was proposed long ago and that was to anex Colonial Heights. Kingsport has made blunder after blunder in this vein. In their annexation campaigns their goal should have been to surround Colonial Heights and then squeeze it into the city. Instead they fiddle-farted around and lost part of Piney Flats and other important places to the upwardly mobile thinking Johnson City government...and have done nothing more to Colonial Heights than to suffocate it. Kingsport City government has spent 25 years doing nothing more than doing nothing more. Which mall do you shop at? Which restaurants do you eat at? Johnson City is on the move and Kingsport is a couple of decades behind.

So the county is going to close North and split Bloomingdale down the middle? And you think half those people will attend South? Well, the county dictates but I will believe it when I see it.