Dobyns Bennett Football

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say GC has more important things on his mind,like getting next years team a lot stronger.

He'd better be going to offensive play calling school. The first thing he should learn is that you have to score more points than the other team to actually win the game. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

He'd better be going to offensive play calling school. The first thing he should learn is that you have to score more points than the other team to actually win the game. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Every fan that I talked to during the year except one,thought we needed to open up the pass with Adams and the recievers before we tried to run against a stacked front.During a few games like the start of the Science Hill game,the run was there to begain with.The problem was when the defenses made their adjustments,and we were h-ll bent on sticking with the run.TH didn't give us a choice,we couldn't get much before we went to the air.I thought the Campbell county game was the most perfect job of play calling GC could have done,and the weather was raining and very cold.I don't put ALL the blame on that however,but it has to come first in the order of finger pointing.I said for many weeks that we needed some adjustments in our defense as well.We didn't have the speed to cover people with the scheme we were using.That's why I kept saying for weeks that GC had to open the offense up and score a bunch of points,because I knew we were going to get exposed on defense at some point if we kept our lineup as it was.I think a lot of mistakes on the field as well as sitting on the lead got us beat.We could have won the first three rounds without making the changes I talked about,but it would have been close.Against Oakland we would have gave up 300 yards on the ground and would have had to make every offensive series count by keeping them of balance,that's where I really thought the three and outs would get us beat without some major changes.That's something GC and his staff will have to look at during the off season,as well as getting the team stronger for next year.

Let me just say that DBs Fleming had an awesome game at the all star game. He was my East defensive MVP hands down, his named was called all thru the game. I think he had a piece of almost every tackle when he was in. Gratz Zach on a well played game and good showing for any scouts /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Let me just say that DBs Fleming had an awesome game at the all star game. He was my East defensive MVP hands down, his named was called all thru the game. I think he had a piece of almost every tackle when he was in. Gratz Zach on a well played game and good showing for any scouts /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Zack is a very well liked young man as well.He and Will Bateman are going to be missed on our defense next year.I know for a fact those two got atleast one vote for our team captains this year.

you guys are nuts, you dont realize how good you have it in kpt, if the only good things that football programs did for players and their communities was to" win the state "or go "two deep "every year then we might as well shut the sport down state wide---you have the best staff in the state to go along with a great program--you had better count your blessings because it could be so much worse

Well said!

So many spoiled fans like to rag on D-B because they get so much hype every year but haven't won state in a long time. Meanwhile, every other local school wishes they had a staff as good at developing players/dominating the conference/just plain keeping a team together like GC & Co. State Championship or not, D-B's dominated this area pretty much every year GC's been there and he's done it with class.

Unlike some coaches, he doesn't put up with selfishness or turn a blind eye to thugs who embarrass the team. Just look at how so many of his castoffs are welcomed with open arms by other schools. Remember when Gene Venable's Volunteer teams would always scoop up D-B throw aways and do anything to appease the egos of his newfound "stars?" While Volunteer limped along to an occasional 5-5 year, GC just kept D-B rolling along to championship after championship. Could you imagine any other local coach standing his ground and routinely kicking off possible Div. 1 signees for discipline issues without missing a beat? I can't.

GC keeps his guys together and even in defeat they're always ready to play and fundamentally sound. This is a man who knows what he's doing, and so does the rest of his staff! Just look at how many times in any given game the defense knows the play before the ball's even snapped! That, my friend, is coaching.

People like to point to how D-B's not won the state yet but had a few players go on to play big time college football as if it's proof that GC's not a good coach. You need to look at this in context: he's had great talent by local standards, compared to what schools in the Knoxville, Memphis, or Nashville area turn out consistently he's done a more with less. Morristown East/West both send more guys to major colleges than D-B! Who knows... maybe if GC was a dirty, crooked, "screw ethics... winning is everything!" coach maybe he would have gone a little further in the playoffs here and there.

Another thing is that GC and staff get all that talent because they're the ones who know how to develop it. They're a model every other local program wants to emulate. Ask yourself... why are D-B's players always so much better, focused, ready to play, and more highly regarded by college scouts than other local schools' like Science Hill and SS? It's because the D-B staff, to a man, do an amazing job of developing talent! You don't get a team loaded with guys who run 4.5 or better every year on sheer luck alone. Especially not in Kingsport.

This isn't Madden. This isn't NCAA '08. This is the real thing and GC and all the other coaches put more hours into practice, film study, gameplanning, etc than you can imagine and have an outstanding record of success to show for it. When they call a play, you'd best believe it's because they think it's the best thing to do in that situation. If you think you can do better, it's a free country. Head down to the local youth league and sign up to coach, then prove everyone how you're a true offensive genius! Maybe you can replace GC when he finally retires.

I agree with alot what coachinghopeful said. GC is a great person that runs the best program in this area. He runs a clean program and doesn't put up with hardly any crap. He might not be the best offensive genius there is, but he isn't the worst either. DB has been spoiled over the years with GC there. He has done a solid job at DB. Alot has to be said for a clean program. I wonder what is the graduation rate of DB football players? I bet it would be a high percentage.

I agree with alot what coachinghopeful said. GC is a great person that runs the best program in this area. He runs a clean program and doesn't put up with hardly any crap. He might not be the best offensive genius there is, but he isn't the worst either. DB has been spoiled over the years with GC there. He has done a solid job at DB. Alot has to be said for a clean program. I wonder what is the graduation rate of DB football players? I bet it would be a high percentage.

I agree with what you are saying and respect the fact that you are taking up for GC because he is a good coach and an even better person. But, this is high school not college, so the graduation rate will/should be high. I'd say most high schools in this area are near 100%.

I'm going to agree with most of what your saying coachinghopeful.I watch this team and these coaches as much as anybody and have allways been impressed with GC and his staffs work to prepare DB. Have they done the best at getting ready for the playoffs in three of the past four years,you would get a NO from the staff themseleves.Nobody has done a better job in uppereast Tennessee during the regular season for more years than GC.We know that DB could have a coach like Oak Ridge has and not even make the playoffs.I don't think you settle for a first round exit to a team like McMinn this year if your on the staff or just a fan.Greeneville set the bar for local coaches this year.How many teams could loose their greatest record breaking QB and make it to the state Semifinals. Had we lost Jamie during the Science Hill game,how far could we have gone with maybe Justin taking snaps in the shotgun,that's pretty much what Greeneville did with Hall.It's never just the coaches fault and many players didn't make plays or made stupid plays in the defeat.A lot of folks don't like GC for many different reasons.Johhny didn't get to play is at the top of the list,and not winning in the playoffs get's a lot of other people.I'll say one thing that speaks for the man above all things.Except for a few kids here and there,most players look up to Clark and will give it all they have.I don't blame those that went to North or South for doing whats best for themselves,and as a parent see 100% how it could be better for some kids.Most of the guys love DB and respect Clark so much,that they would do whats best for the team and give up their own glory nomatter what.With all that said,we need to be a much stronger team then we have been and we need to be much harder to figure out on offense.I don't like losing and could never be happy with what happened in 2006 and this year.These coaches and players work to hard for an outcome like we had this year,the biggest difference is these seniors won't get another shot unless they come back like coach Holt did and do it that way.Roll Tribe and thanks again to the many seniors for the great job they have done at DB.I know I wear it out,but I loved watching these guys play since they were in the city league.I can remember watching Bateman run over everybody as a running back in grade school and that was the first thing I said to his dad a few years ago when I met him.I'll miss the funny stories these guys have provided over the years as well.

I have family members who went to DB when Steve Spurrier embarassed them at J Fred. My son was Highland High bound in the 7th grade and then the tide turned. The Stacy Carter show arrived. Suffice to say, mine has been a nail in the carpenters hand and it has been a very enlightening ride. Yes, he made mistakes. Some were monumental. But he was a major hand in helping me turn my son into a soldier. Somebody that won't bail out on you. And yes, that is priceless! But that Gold Ball was going to feel so good to the touch and all it would have brought. Devastated? Close. Will we move on? Eventually. Better for the experience? So is LIFE.

If I were a DB parent, in retrospect, I would have expected more...much more. Yes, we would have contributed...and a large contribution I'm sure, however...and I won't dog GC, but my gut instinct is that something is missing. I see "the program" take kids that the "Heights" steamrolls in middle school and turn them into premier athletes. So something is being done correctly. I see a team mentality with comaraderie that is superior to the area and one that spans all sports. Stacy is achieving this as well but 5 years and one sport...it just hasn't caught on with the other coaches. At least Stacy cares and that's why he signs his name to it. I see DB have a potential that is consistant year in and year out including the roll call. We had this same discussion last year and concluded that it was a bad time for GC and with overwhelming support that he would rebound and secure the "prize" and put the proverbial icing on the cake. Flight of fancy.

Another year same discussion. So what to do? Obviously he is in the September of his career. At that point a battle tested General acquires a protoge'. And so it is time. Grahm Clark, you must name your "Protoge'". It is time to train your successor. In tried and true Indian fashion you must take one of your own...(Ryan) and set him on the path to greatness. His apprentisship, which has already begun, must now intensify. You must teach him in the ways he must carry on and this will be your gracious atonement. Make your move for I would wager the Indian Nation won't endure one more year of status quo. Your history has been a great one...now is the time to put an exclamation point on it. To you and yours.

Fortune to the Tribe!