Dobyns Bennett Football

How true that is, past and present. Maybe they didn't get enough knockdown blocks. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

plow...ET is 100% correct. Not trying to say that GC doesn't work to get his (and other) players looks but Eric Gordon from Hillsboro is the perfect example of what ET is saying. Hillsboro played Maryville in the final in 4A and won. Eric Gordon was a RB and CB for Hillsboro and he was not, in my opinion a very good RB (which is what he was touted to be the whole year long). However he was a lockdown corner. Lane Kiffin was (of course) at that game and offered Gordon on the field after the games end.

Had Jamie, Davenport, Fletcher and the like made it to the finals you can bet things would be different.

And then you have the article on signing day in the Times News on Wednesday about the Alabama player who didn't get a look. He walked on at 'Bama became an All American and is now in the NFL.

There are cracks and good players fall through them every year. It is a ruthless process and if you haven't been through it then get ready to lose some skin.

Bottom line is much of it is being at the right place at the right time. Not so much fate but using your brain. And if you never did it before then you just wing it. Then you're an expert...after it is too late. Suffice to say the process is tons of work on the parents part. The coach can not possibly do it all. It takes years to build a successful network between college coaches and high school coaches and meanwhile very few coaches are paid evough for their day to day job much less to be a recruiting coordinator. Granted, the success of the recruiting for your own players pays long term dividends but you will not find that commodity at .500 schools.

Many parents think it to be the coaches responsibility to do these things. Maybe so but be willing to ante' up some cash to boost the coaches salary. I mean how much of GC's salary comes from the Boosters? Most say 35%. Hello! After all...one hand washes the other.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly does hurt our NET kids to not be seen by college coaches further into the playoffs and in the big game. You know the coaches want to be there in the playoffs. You know they wish that all their players could go to college and get it paid for. Comp is correct that sometimes it's being the right place at the right time. First and foremost, the kid has to do it on the field consistently. And after that, it is up to the parents primarily, and then asking for the coaches' help (the level of ability to help and the willingness, I am sure will vary from school to school). Many are willing to do what they can. Some coaches have more contacts than other. GC has been at this a while and I'm sure has the contacts. Networking and enlisting help anywhere you can helps as well. Unless your kid is a true top level Division 1 player, then it's work, as comp stated. Even Curt wasn't getting the looks to start with, even with the stats and all the ability in the world. It took a great deal of effort, traveling and getting seen on their part to jump start it. It's a tough game my friends and all I can say is put out as much as you can to the colleges that the high school athlete might want to attend. Don't neglect the smaller level schools, thinking you've got the next Bo Jackson or Peyton Manning on your hands.

But, I'll say this about the local game, I feel confident saying no coach in Eastern TN does more to help a kid find a home as a college athlete, at the level of his abilities, as Coach GC does. Coaches just dont advertise what they do on here. Respect...

It certainly does hurt our NET kids to not be seen by college coaches further into the playoffs and in the big game. You know the coaches want to be there in the playoffs. You know they wish that all their players could go to college and get it paid for. Comp is correct that sometimes it's being the right place at the right time. First and foremost, the kid has to do it on the field consistently. And after that, it is up to the parents primarily, and then asking for the coaches' help (the level of ability to help and the willingness, I am sure will vary from school to school). Many are willing to do what they can. Some coaches have more contacts than other. GC has been at this a while and I'm sure has the contacts. Networking and enlisting help anywhere you can helps as well. Unless your kid is a true top level Division 1 player, then it's work, as comp stated. Even Curt wasn't getting the looks to start with, even with the stats and all the ability in the world. It took a great deal of effort, traveling and getting seen on their part to jump start it. It's a tough game my friends and all I can say is put out as much as you can to the colleges that the high school athlete might want to attend. Don't neglect the smaller level schools, thinking you've got the next Bo Jackson or Peyton Manning on your hands.

But, I'll say this about the local game, I feel confident saying no coach in Eastern TN does more to help a kid find a home as a college athlete, at the level of his abilities, as Coach GC does. Coaches just dont advertise what they do on here. Respect...

Say what you will about Curt. Good, bad, or ugly...but he sacrificed his life to sell his art. Yes, his Father went 50% of the time with him but the rest of the time he went solo. I know. He flew, he drove, and he did it every weekend in the spring during the summer and during the season. By the time he commited to Wisconsin he was exhausted. He wanted it to be over so he could practice and play football with his team. Practicing and playing was relaxation compared to the regimen he was enduring. The pressure was enormous! The fact he kept everyone on the hook and didn't let anyone suffer and then put on a show on Friday night was evidence he was DI without the evidence of ability. Everyone knows he got sold short...just like Peyton Manning with the Heisman. If Lane Kiffin were at UT then Curt would have been commited in the spring of '07. And I wouldn't put it past Kiffin to be talking to him now. Curt made his own name. He had no uncles and cousins to pave the way for him. He did it all...with the support of two wonderful parents...the hard way.

Say what you will about Curt. Good, bad, or ugly...but he sacrificed his life to sell his art. Yes, his Father went 50% of the time with him but the rest of the time he went solo. I know. He flew, he drove, and he did it every weekend in the spring during the summer and during the season. By the time he commited to Wisconsin he was exhausted. He wanted it to be over so he could practice and play football with his team. Practicing and playing was relaxation compared to the regimen he was enduring. The pressure was enormous! The fact he kept everyone on the hook and didn't let anyone suffer and then put on a show on Friday night was evidence he was DI without the evidence of ability. Everyone knows he got sold short...just like Peyton Manning with the Heisman. If Lane Kiffin were at UT then Curt would have been commited in the spring of '07. And I wouldn't put it past Kiffin to be talking to him now. Curt made his own name. He had no uncles and cousins to pave the way for him. He did it all...with the support of two wonderful parents...the hard way.

I completely agree.

Hey Comp I whole heartly agree with your lastest posts on this thread.Dead on .You know my feelings as I related them to you at the AOTWA awards dinner.I am still in shock and p-----off about the way the season ended.

So with that said,I can honestly say to Satchump from a first hand experience,respect is EARNED not given!

It is going to take me a while to get the bad taste out of my mouth. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Dobyns-Bennett is one of the great programs in the state. Oak Ridge always enjoyed playing them, its a shame schedules prevented us from playing the next two years. We got Maryville instead, and that will be rough for a rebuilding program. Anyway, I was curious, layoffs and downsizing at the Oak Ridge plants have wrecked the Oak Ridge economy over the last 20 years, and I was wondering if the recent Eastman layoffs are having or will have an effect on DB? I think Graham Clark is a good coach, I have met him and he runs a good program with good people, and I think DB has been short in some areas talent wise the last few years, and that more then anything has caused them to be a little down, and perhaps the playoff woes.....good luck in 2009, understand you are playing at Clinton and Farragut this year. Soften those bluebellies up for us...

Hey Comp I whole heartly agree with your lastest posts on this thread.Dead on .You know my feelings as I related them to you at the AOTWA awards dinner.I am still in shock and p-----off about the way the season ended.

So with that said,I can honestly say to Satchump from a first hand experience,respect is EARNED not given!

It is going to take me a while to get the bad taste out of my mouth. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Plow...there is a little written story circulating at South that describes the 2008 season and how it was the season of inheritance. How that inheritance was stolen away by theives. How this was the working mans group and that they were born leaders who would make history for themselves. They had all worked under Curt and seen first hand what the dedication could bring. They had learned to be winners.

Many blamed Stacy for giving the ball to Taylor yet again. Many blamed Taylor for not not succeeding where he had never failed. All blamed each other for allowing our boys to fall into the "we got this trap". It is unanamous across the region with those who saw the game in person that it was a debacle. As it was happening I thought of the Indians and how they have been robbed in the past few years. True, most of DB's misforture was due to coaching but some was the result of blatant, wrongful officiating. The problem with this is that we as parents knew it was our time. We knew the time had come and in our hearts and souls we felt the warmth...only to be stripped and left for dead. 'Not supposed to be that way.

My point? Both Jamie and Justin are tremendous Athletes and your circumstances like ours beget another day. I can't help but feel that another day will bloom for them and that their hour has not yet passed. The same for our Southers.

So in saying that I feel we (parents, players, and coaches) must look for another day. I think our consolation is in knowing that it is not finished and that their (our boys) day is yet to appear. Nature always rights what man wrongs. And so this manner of thinking allows me to move on and leave behind the poisoness taste that I so disgust.

I know how you feel! I feel the same pain you do! Outsiders will say, "Get over it". But they really don't understand. I say these words to you because I too could not recover knowing that fate had a different ending. An ending that has not yet begun. I live for another day. You must as well. For that day will appear and in all its glory you will know that nature rights what man wrongs. They say what comes around goes around. Find comfort in knowing that what went around was not thee but what comes around will be ye.

I will be sure to come and watch baseball season. See ya soon. Rebel Nation

Plow...there is a little written story circulating at South that describes the 2008 season and how it was the season of inheritance. How that inheritance was stolen away by theives. How this was the working mans group and that they were born leaders who would make history for themselves. They had all worked under Curt and seen first hand what the dedication could bring. They had learned to be winners.

Many blamed Stacy for giving the ball to Taylor yet again. Many blamed Taylor for not not succeeding where he had never failed. All blamed each other for allowing our boys to fall into the "we got this trap". It is unanamous across the region with those who saw the game in person that it was a debacle. As it was happening I thought of the Indians and how they have been robbed in the past few years. True, most of DB's misforture was due to coaching but some was the result of blatant, wrongful officiating. The problem with this is that we as parents knew it was our time. We knew the time had come and in our hearts and souls we felt the warmth...only to be stripped and left for dead. 'Not supposed to be that way.

My point? Both Jamie and Justin are tremendous Athletes and your circumstances like ours beget another day. I can't help but feel that another day will bloom for them and that their hour has not yet passed. The same for our Southers.

So in saying that I feel we (parents, players, and coaches) must look for another day. I think our consolation is in knowing that it is not finished and that their (our boys) day is yet to appear. Nature always rights what man wrongs. And so this manner of thinking allows me to move on and leave behind the poisoness taste that I so disgust.

I know how you feel! I feel the same pain you do! Outsiders will say, "Get over it". But they really don't understand. I say these words to you because I too could not recover knowing that fate had a different ending. An ending that has not yet begun. I live for another day. You must as well. For that day will appear and in all its glory you will know that nature rights what man wrongs. They say what comes around goes around. Find comfort in knowing that what went around was not thee but what comes around will be ye.

Comp thanks for the encouragement.Even though we were not robbed by the officials in our last game like you guys were,I still feel something terrible happened on the field that last game and will feel that way forever.

I wish Taylor the best at Charleston.Great athlete .He gave 100% every play and will continue to.You and I know deep down who the players are around here,we watched them grow up.So i don't give a hoot what some of the experts think.Seeing is believing.

Look us up on the baseball diamond,that's were we will be.

Dobyns-Bennett is one of the great programs in the state. Oak Ridge always enjoyed playing them, its a shame schedules prevented us from playing the next two years. We got Maryville instead, and that will be rough for a rebuilding program. Anyway, I was curious, layoffs and downsizing at the Oak Ridge plants have wrecked the Oak Ridge economy over the last 20 years, and I was wondering if the recent Eastman layoffs are having or will have an effect on DB? I think Graham Clark is a good coach, I have met him and he runs a good program with good people, and I think DB has been short in some areas talent wise the last few years, and that more then anything has caused them to be a little down, and perhaps the playoff woes.....good luck in 2009, understand you are playing at Clinton and Farragut this year. Soften those bluebellies up for us...

Think what you want but DB had one of the best talented teams this year that it has had in a while.

Overcoaching and lack of it at times , took its toll on a team that should have went to the BORO.

Hope OR gets past the losing seasons and becomes a power again.The new coach I heard will do that.

I always loved the DB and OR games. Good luck

I've noticed by some of the posts on here that DB fans dont sound too excited about playing Clinton this year. As for me, i am really looking forward to coming up to Kingsport. I have nothing but the upmost respect for DB's program. I think this is going to be the first meeting ever between these two schools. I can understand why DB fans would rather play Ooltewah or someone like that, but im thinking this will be a good game for both teams to see where they are at early in the season. See you guys in week 1!

Hey there,

Congrats on your son signing with Univ. of Charleston. Hope he finds great success there, most importantly in academics and secondly on the field. His hard work has paid off.

I just wanted to comment on the "wrongful officiating" that you feel occurred in the last game of your season. I agree that what comes around goes around, and no THS was not playing in the playoffs when South benefited from the errors in officiating, it was for the MLC title. You do recall the horrible officiating during that MLC title game of 2007? I may be an outsider, but I know how it feels. Granted, it wasn't the last play of the game but two very important calls that greatly benefited South and allowed them back in the game. We may have still lost that game but who's to say we that we couldn't have won it had it not been for those two blatant horrible calls? It happens-to everyone. South is a great program and had a great team this year-but they weren't unbeatable. That is something that every parent needs to remind themselves of. The egos can get a little out of hand and that makes losing almost unacceptable.

With all that said I look forward to 2008 football season! It will be different for alot of teams but exciting none the less.

Hey there,

Congrats on your son signing with Univ. of Charleston. Hope he finds great success there, most importantly in academics and secondly on the field. His hard work has paid off.

I just wanted to comment on the "wrongful officiating" that you feel occurred in the last game of your season. I agree that what comes around goes around, and no THS was not playing in the playoffs when South benefited from the errors in officiating, it was for the MLC title. You do recall the horrible officiating during that MLC title game of 2007? I may be an outsider, but I know how it feels. Granted, it wasn't the last play of the game but two very important calls that greatly benefited South and allowed them back in the game. We may have still lost that game but who's to say we that we couldn't have won it had it not been for those two blatant horrible calls? It happens-to everyone. South is a great program and had a great team this year-but they weren't unbeatable. That is something that every parent needs to remind themselves of. The egos can get a little out of hand and that makes losing almost unacceptable.

With all that said I look forward to 2008 football season! It will be different for alot of teams but exciting none the less.

Thanks for the support vikingT. There is a Viking currently at Charleston. That would be Danny Thomas. So he won't feel totally alone.

As for the 2007 MLC Championship game...it would have been an honor to lose to that Viking squad. And yes that call was questionable. The Vikings were every bit as good as the Rebels that year and to have been denied by our brethern would have been as respectable as one could ask for.

You obviously did not see the quarterfinal game. The debacle consisted of about 6 flagrant calls. Not one and not two but many more. And all by one official. All were game changing. The first occured with 30 seconds left in regulation which called back a 15 yard TD. The game was tied at that point and the TD would have put the game on ice.

Talk to someone who was there or watch the film and you will understand.

If Curts fumble would have been ruled in favor of the Vikings it could have potentially changed the game. At the quarterfinals, each call directly effected a score.

As I said, to lose to the Vikings in '07 would have been honorable.