Smyrna vs. Oakland

SHSBaseballLaz

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a region 6 fan I haven't kept up as close to region 4, but I did see the games Smyrna plyed against BA and Brentwood... wow, what happened since then? Was there a team transplant? I had left you for dead and now it's beginning to look like the Bulldogs are replacing Rdale as a perrenial powerhouse. No disrespect to Oakland, I just haven't seen any of your games. Regardless of who takes this one, make sure you take care of Reg 1 or 2 rep so it can be another Reg 4 v 6 matchup in the Finals. MidTenn football rulz! Good health and luck to both teams.

I'm not a fan of this "almost won" and "Spotted you the 2 safeties" stuff. That was a huge football game that Oakland won. Oakland was the best team on the field that night.

Smyrna had their chance to pull that game out and didn't. Oakland had their chance to pull it out and they DID.

All of that will have very little to do with this game, except for the film work. Smyrna has made some very nice improvements since that game. I have not seen Oakland since that game but from what I hear, they too have made some improvements.

It's the playoffs and these 2 teams are here for a reason. They are darn good teams.

2P....I'll be pulling for your Pats... What do think my friend?

BRING YOUR BEST STUFF PATS!

Hey buddy. Thanks for the good luck. I am worried about this game. Smyrna has come on STRONG in the last few weeks and they have some momentum coming into this one along with the experince of going all the way twice. We eaked out the last win and it could have gone either way. You have to respect how Smyrna turned it around after started the season off so poorly.

I do know one thing.....I am looking for a mini-defibullator for this one. The 4 OT's like to have killed me and I was suffering a stomach virus on top of that. Not a good combo.

I am excited to be still in the hunt at this point and it is getting my juices flowing for how things were in 98. Don't think I haven't made comaprisons......88 we went to state finals......98 we went to state finals......08.........I think we will make it too. Both state championships at OHS were with 1st yr coaches who took over after a losing season and a firing of a coach..........yall KNOW how superstitious I am.....and the cards look pretty dang FAVORABLE to me.

bottom line, i agree with 82cat when he says that the last game between these two (though it was a fantastic, hard fought game) means absolutely nothing. The only two things that will carry over and have any impact on this game at all are:

1. Smyrna will be hungry to avenge the loss

2. Oakland knows they are capable of beating Smyrna

Beyond that, what happened in the first game means nothing. Forget the "almosts" and the "we spotted you's" and get ready for yet another classic. Both defenses are scary and play to different strengths. Smyrna may have the fastest, most athletic defense in the state, and Oakland just has playmakers on defense (especially along that defensive line). Both offenses appear to be peaking at the right time, especially in the passing game. Bryson and Hicks are both capable of changing the momentum of a game everytime they touch the ball, and Oakland's stable of Valentine, Nelson, Bass, Frazier, and Mayberry have a way of just whittling defenses down to nothing as the game goes on.

IMO, The run game for both teams will be the most important factor for both teams, because it's what they do best. As good as both defenses are (definitely the best two in the state), both teams running games are capable of dismantling the opposing defenses when they are clicking. Throughout the season, Oakland has been capable of winning the close ones for one reason - DEPTH. I think that same reason puts them in the semi-finals.

PREDICTION: OHS - 17, SHS - 7

By the way, both head coaches should be doted on for what they have accomplished. Coach Williams took over a prestigious program, battled early setbacks, and has his team in place to win it all. Not everyone who takes over a championship program is able to produce like he has (especially in region 4-5A - you know who I'm talking about). Coach McDaniel has taken a team that most opponents likely were counting as a W before the season started and has given them a new identity, and now everyone is aware that Oakland is once again going to be a force to be reckoned with. These two coaches are the top two up-and-coming young guys in the state, and I'm positive that they will both leave tremendous marks on Tennessee high school football. Congrats to them both and their teams.

I'd love to see Oakland win but man Smyrna has been on a roll. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Smyrna wants to avenge their loss ,however, I would have to think that the Pats would rather

not have to face the dogs again.

Smyrna 21

Oakland 7