William Blount 2009

tpoole12

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All

Just sat down and caught up on the discussion. I'm glad its calmed down a little. I apologize for my absence but I had to distance myself from the situation. It's hard not to be emotional and when I'm emotional, I tend not to be reasonable.

Since the topic tends to be on who'll have the Head Coach job I think its safe for me to add my two cents worth. I know some of the names that have applied. Many of them could be the man hired . I'll not pick a favorite and try to be happy with whom ever the search commitee chooses. The only thing I hope is that who ever gets the job will not try to change the offense for this season. The players have been in the spread for three seasons. Right now the Tony Franklin offense seems to be the flavor of the month in high school football. It is a fun offense to play and watch. That being said I will go further and say that there are many other schemes that work well and it is the coaches job to teach players to execute whatever scheme they prefer but due to the fact that we have already had spring practice and the season will be upon us so quick, I feel a wholesale change of scheme would be difficult.

tpoole12

GO GOVS

PS: If anyone knows the offensive schemes of any of the candidates please post them and we'll kick that around while we wait for the hire. The interview process will be starting soon and I'm sure the powers that be would like to get it done as quickly as possible...

Hello All

Just sat down and caught up on the discussion. I'm glad its calmed down a little. I apologize for my absence but I had to distance myself from the situation. It's hard not to be emotional and when I'm emotional, I tend not to be reasonable.

Since the topic tends to be on who'll have the Head Coach job I think its safe for me to add my two cents worth. I know some of the names that have applied. Many of them could be the man hired . I'll not pick a favorite and try to be happy with whom ever the search commitee chooses. The only thing I hope is that who ever gets the job will not try to change the offense for this season. The players have been in the spread for three seasons. Right now the Tony Franklin offense seems to be the flavor of the month in high school football. It is a fun offense to play and watch. That being said I will go further and say that there are many other schemes that work well and it is the coaches job to teach players to execute whatever scheme they prefer but due to the fact that we have already had spring practice and the season will be upon us so quick, I feel a wholesale change of scheme would be difficult.

tpoole12

GO GOVS

PS: If anyone knows the offensive schemes of any of the candidates please post them and we'll kick that around while we wait for the hire. The interview process will be starting soon and I'm sure the powers that be would like to get it done as quickly as possible...

I agree for the support, and it would be detrimental to the team to try and change this far into it. It is also going to be hard to get rid of people that a new coach might not want on staff and for that fact hire ones they would like to have. Timing is everything for us and ck

It seems they did not but heads with him directly, rw fired them, I would wager that at least one was caused because of his being up front with the man who was not there then oh and is not again. who knows why the staff has been depleted as it has, afterall was not almost every one of them on the staff that lead the G-men to their best season the year before? Strange.

I would wager that at least one was caused because of his being up front with the man who was not there then oh and is not again.

That, lowkee, according to my sources is what transpired.......... what I understand, there were sources inside the staff at the time that had a hotline to SM, and since he raised some "questions" regarding motives, etc, any mis-step bacame a big deal........... revenge was exacted and the rest is history. It is time to move on though.......... To the WB fatithful - demand loyalty from your coaches and administrators, and demand they get the best for your kids and the program....................... ALWAYS REMEMBER....... THE PROGRAM IS ALWAYS BIGGER THAN THE PEOPLE INVOLVED!!!

ALWAYS REMEMBER....... THE PROGRAM IS ALWAYS BIGGER THAN THE PEOPLE INVOLVED!!!

No coach, It isn't...Or else the Program would not take a huge financial hit like they have the past few seasons by not playing Alcoa.

The people for what ever the reason have always been bigger than the program and it has been that way since Mike White retired. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

It is sad as an alum to see the state of the WB football program.

And am I mistaken of has at least ONE member of the staff, up until this season been a part of the ORIGINAL Gov football staff (circa 1979)

New blood is needed at ALL coaching positions. that is my .02 worth.

No coach, It isn't...Or else the Program would not take a huge financial hit like they have the past few seasons by not playing Alcoa.

The people for what ever the reason have always been bigger than the program and it has been that way since Mike White retired. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

And am I mistaken of has at least ONE member of the staff, up until this season been a part of the ORIGINAL Gov football staff (circa 1979)

Bridge Dude - What was meant by the Program being Bigger, is that the program (WB Football) will go on in spite of the coaches (good & bad) that have been involved. The real truth lies somewhere in the administrators, the politics, the connections and all the other "influencers" that revolve around a high profile position being filled.

There was one person on the staff this past year that served on the original '79 staff.......... Coach Gordon, and he later became head coach and was forced out by the French era. I know he has always been loyal, even when he coached at other schools. I also know that man can coach the game!

Not against "some" new blood, APB but don't agree completely with your final sentence. I think we have at least two coachs on staff that hopefully will stay with us. Our strength & conditioning coach (Emert) is as good as they come. Not only does he do an outstanding job with the footballers, but right now our boy's and girl's basketball teams are doing programs that he has designed and i know he works with our girl's softballers ... not sure what other sports. I think our "offensive coordinator" is already on staff ( Jeremy Snoderly). He's a former Gov, loves the school, loves the kids, loves the Lord, and is incredibly smart. Not sure what will become of the coaches that Scott had planned on hiring, but I sure hope that Stephen Whitehead finds a job in the BC system and joins our staff. He would be an awesome addition. And I haven't heard what is going to become of Rainer, but it would be sweet if he stayed with us. I'm not sure about the remainder of last year's staff. I know Coach Gordon and Coach Garner retired and Coach Connatser won't be returning. Not sure what Coach Thornton's plans are??? My mind fails me on who else I may be forgetting.

Not against "some" new blood, APB but don't agree completely with your final sentence. I think we have at least two coachs on staff that hopefully will stay with us. Our strength & conditioning coach (Emert) is as good as they come. Not only does he do an outstanding job with the footballers, but right now our boy's and girl's basketball teams are doing programs that he has designed and i know he works with our girl's softballers ... not sure what other sports. I think our "offensive coordinator" is already on staff ( Jeremy Snoderly). He's a former Gov, loves the school, loves the kids, loves the Lord, and is incredibly smart. Not sure what will become of the coaches that Scott had planned on hiring, but I sure hope that Stephen Whitehead finds a job in the BC system and joins our staff. He would be an awesome addition. And I haven't heard what is going to become of Rainer, but it would be sweet if he stayed with us. I'm not sure about the remainder of last year's staff. I know Coach Gordon and Coach Garner retired and Coach Connatser won't be returning. Not sure what Coach Thornton's plans are??? My mind fails me on who else I may be forgetting.

Gordon didn't retire and will probably die coaching football............. I heard he's been hired at Seymour doing what he does........... coaching his beloved LB's. GO GOVS!

i dont think any of the current staff at wb with the exception of rainer will be going to catholic with meadows. i am not sure, but i have a good hunch that will be the case. i think rainer may be going to catholic in the same position he was at wb. i think wb has some fine coaches still on the staff and will have a great staff after the head coach is named. i really think they will be competitive for years to come. a lot of good young talent coming up, and already in place. a lot of kids played last year that may not have been quite ready, that will really contribute this year.

Please define huge financial hit. I have done a study on the finances of WB football for the last 5 years. The fifth year was the last that WB and Alcoa played. Alcoa brought in around $10000 that game and that seems to be the norm. Definitely, that was more than they received playing their Chatt Region counterparts like Bradley and Soddy, but was a bit less than the Alcoa replacement Sev County who brought in $14000 both times they have played over the last 5 years (home games). Of course MHS brings in around $30000 on average. Alcoa did and would have a nice draw no doubt, but I don't think that your statement about "taking a huge financial hit" is anywhere near accurate. As a matter of fact only two years ago, the program made $94000 in gate receipts. Now that is much higher than normal, but, still, that is only 2 years removed and so I would not consider that taking a hit at all.

Please define huge financial hit.

To be very brief,

2005, played Clarksville NW on a Saturday afternoon, I was there, less than 1500 people = -$$

2006, played AT Clarksville NW = -$$$$

2007, played D-B on Thursday night, good gate, I was there, break even with Alcoa gate. = 0

2008 played AT D-B, again = -$$$

You did not subtract travel from your gate receipts coach. There is no need to travel such silly distances.

I DO NOT want to get into the WB v. Alcoa thing, has nothing to do with that.

We (I) was referring to your theory that the program is bigger than the people involved, and that not being the case there for a very long time.

And it is Mr. Bridge....not bridge dude. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />