William Blount 2009

tpoole12

Hello All

Just sat down and caught up on the discussion. I'm glad its calmed down a little. I apologize for my absence but I had to distance myself from the situation. It's hard not to be emotional and when I'm emotional, I tend not to be reasonable.

Since the topic tends to be on who'll have the Head Coach job I think its safe for me to add my two cents worth. I know some of the names that have applied. Many of them could be the man hired . I'll not pick a favorite and try to be happy with whom ever the search commitee chooses. The only thing I hope is that who ever gets the job will not try to change the offense for this season. The players have been in the spread for three seasons. Right now the Tony Franklin offense seems to be the flavor of the month in high school football. It is a fun offense to play and watch. That being said I will go further and say that there are many other schemes that work well and it is the coaches job to teach players to execute whatever scheme they prefer but due to the fact that we have already had spring practice and the season will be upon us so quick, I feel a wholesale change of scheme would be difficult.

tpoole12

GO GOVS

PS: If anyone knows the offensive schemes of any of the candidates please post them and we'll kick that around while we wait for the hire. The interview process will be starting soon and I'm sure the powers that be would like to get it done as quickly as possible...

I know Rathbone runs the spread and mixes some of the Florida Gator type Qb option in with it.

I would like for you all to take a look at the new Catholic thread I started. I am very curious to see if my thinking is right or not.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason that the G-men do not play up to the storm across town has noting to do with gate. It has to do with morale and what the particular game means. A win against them is expected and even if they go to the championship game and win people would not give the G-men credit, the "torn" are in a lower class and are expected to loose to a team in the class the G-men are in. So winning that game does noting for them. In contrast, if they loose, the players loose confidence and then are degraded by their peers, and the community, "you guys cant even win over a team in a lower class" Why play them? No reason! The G-men took the last trian to Clarksville, they will not play them again and that from my understanding was a last min deal to fill the schedule. On the other hand, playing a team like the bears helps the team in more than one way 1-same class 2-gate just as big or bigger $$$ 3-Prepares the G-men for the playoffs, in fact they played them in the first round a couple of times. They have not got anything to gain by playing the torn and everything to loose.

As far as the coach who has been at the school since 79, thats not true, he has coached other places such as with the seamen in west knoxville. He is a good coach and would still be with the G-men if he had not been betrayed by hypicritical rats that had getting rid of him and rw as a top priority. His up front truthfulness was not liked, he did not blow smoke so to speak, and some cannot take that kind of honesty, they only want to surround themselves with yes men and rw and g are not yes men. Just sad they are gone because of that characteristic that all men should have, Integrity is something players see----you cannot teach that on the field or in the classroom, only by actions!

To be very brief,

2005, played Clarksville NW on a Saturday afternoon, I was there, less than 1500 people = -$$

2006, played AT Clarksville NW = -$$$$

2007, played D-B on Thursday night, good gate, I was there, break even with Alcoa gate. = 0

2008 played AT D-B, again = -$$$

You did not subtract travel from your gate receipts coach. There is no need to travel such silly distances.

I DO NOT want to get into the WB v. Alcoa thing, has nothing to do with that.

We (I) was referring to your theory that the program is bigger than the people involved, and that not being the case there for a very long time.

And it is Mr. Bridge....not bridge dude. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I do not want to get in to the WB vs Alcoa discussion either. I, for one, think the two should play. My point is you said WB's football program has taken a huge financial hit. That is misleading to those on this board. As I said, 2008 was an outlier because of the success of the team as well as having Maryville, DB (Thurs), Farragut, and Ooltewah as home games. But $94,000 in a season is anything but a hit. The Clarksville series was a mistake, no doubt. But I respectfully disagree with your Kingsport DB analysis. I have the numbers to prove it. The home gate with DB on Thurs night in 2008 was every bit of $5000 more than the Alcoa gate. Now once again, I wish Alcoa and WB would play as you do.

Another point I would like to argue is the fact that you are sad to see the program as it is. I know when you went to school here and when I went to school here it was in MUCH WORSE SHAPE. We were lucky to win 2 games in a season. Yes last year they had major struggles...however the preceding 8 years, they made the playoffs every year except Meadows first year. I know they did not go deep in to the playoffs, but coming from the 80's when WB flat out stunk I thought the program was doing quite fine. As a matter of fact, they were tied with Farragut for the most playoff appearances in Region 2 5A during that 8 year span.........even better than Oak Ridge. In comparison to the Elite Schools in this county (Alcoa and Maryville), the WB program is down. In comparison to normal schools in this state, it is not.

It is very difficult to have even 2 schools in the same county that have the success of MHS and AHS. It is nearly impossible to have 3. You know as well as I do that WB and Heritage suffer from losing quality athletes to MHS and AHS (not as much at WB but still enough to make a difference).

If parents want to send their children to MHS and AHS to play football when they should be at WB or Heritage, then that is their right. But I will say this......if you do, then those parents have NO RIGHT to bash the county schools when they actually contributed to the problem by taking their child out. If they had left their children in...then perhaps the success would be greater. Does this make sense? If I have a Star QB in middle school and then move him to a city school when he enters high school, it is not the school's fault that they don't have a freshman QB next year, it is my fault. My child ate up all the playing time in middle school and then left???????

I do not want to get in to the WB vs Alcoa discussion either. I, for one, think the two should play. My point is you said WB's football program has taken a huge financial hit. That is misleading to those on this board. As I said, 2008 was an outlier because of the success of the team as well as having Maryville, DB (Thurs), Farragut, and Ooltewah as home games. But $94,000 in a season is anything but a hit. The Clarksville series was a mistake, no doubt. But I respectfully disagree with your Kingsport DB analysis. I have the numbers to prove it. The home gate with DB on Thurs night in 2008 was every bit of $5000 more than the Alcoa gate. Now once again, I wish Alcoa and WB would play as you do.

Another point I would like to argue is the fact that you are sad to see the program as it is. I know when you went to school here and when I went to school here it was in MUCH WORSE SHAPE. We were lucky to win 2 games in a season. Yes last year they had major struggles...however the preceding 8 years, they made the playoffs every year except Meadows first year. I know they did not go deep in to the playoffs, but coming from the 80's when WB flat out stunk I thought the program was doing quite fine. As a matter of fact, they were tied with Farragut for the most playoff appearances in Region 2 5A during that 8 year span.........even better than Oak Ridge. In comparison to the Elite Schools in this county (Alcoa and Maryville), the WB program is down. In comparison to normal schools in this state, it is not.

It is very difficult to have even 2 schools in the same county that have the success of MHS and AHS. It is nearly impossible to have 3. You know as well as I do that WB and Heritage suffer from losing quality athletes to MHS and AHS (not as much at WB but still enough to make a difference).

If parents want to send their children to MHS and AHS to play football when they should be at WB or Heritage, then that is their right. But I will say this......if you do, then those parents have NO RIGHT to bash the county schools when they actually contributed to the problem by taking their child out. If they had left their children in...then perhaps the success would be greater. Does this make sense? If I have a Star QB in middle school and then move him to a city school when he enters high school, it is not the school's fault that they don't have a freshman QB next year, it is my fault. My child ate up all the playing time in middle school and then left???????

Well said!

So we stunk in the '80's? Our record wasn't very good, but we didn't back down from anyone. WB was the only District Team that would play OR and Farragut in the '80's. The others refused. Throw in a teacher's strike and a really tough schedule and it's no wonder the record wasn't very good.

ETCoach ... this, my friend, is a good and accurate post.

APB ... finances, strategy for the season ... whatever ... I wish WB and Alcoa still played each year.

Red Rebel ... I don't think ET meant "stunk" as negative as it sounded ... he just meant that the program has become more competitive. I know a lot of those 80's Govs--you included--that played with so much heart and who bled Orange and Blue. Nothing to ever be ashamed of. I remember we used to be good every couple of years for a "brawlin' free-for-all" with Farragut.

LowKee ... would have to disagree about Coach Gordon "blowin' smoke." I know he blew smoke in our new press box, behind the bleachers at Maryville, and in that little cage area beneath Governor stadium! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

So we stunk in the '80's? Our record wasn't very good, but we didn't back down from anyone. WB was the only District Team that would play OR and Farragut in the '80's. The others refused. Throw in a teacher's strike and a really tough schedule and it's no wonder the record wasn't very good.

Didn't mean to hurt feelings....just talking about wins and losses. Schedule is still tough but the teams of the late 90's and 2000's have been more competitive..Out of Region games last year...Maryville, Sevier County, Dobyns Bennett...mix that in with Region Games with Ooltewah, Farragut, Oak Ridge....few weak sisters year in and year out. At least now Maryville is a "District" game and we can have a bit of an easier time outside of District. Karns and Jeff Co take the place of Maryville and DB outside of district. No Brainer.

ETCoach ... this, my friend, is a good and accurate post.

APB ... finances, strategy for the season ... whatever ... I wish WB and Alcoa still played each year.

Red Rebel ... I don't think ET meant "stunk" as negative as it sounded ... he just meant that the program has become more competitive. I know a lot of those 80's Govs--you included--that played with so much heart and who bled Orange and Blue. Nothing to ever be ashamed of. I remember we used to be good every couple of years for a "brawlin' free-for-all" with Farragut.

LowKee ... would have to disagree about Coach Gordon "blowin' smoke." I know he blew smoke in our new press box, behind the bleachers at Maryville, and in that little cage area beneath Governor stadium! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I don't laugh a lot while reading this message board...but I laughed out loud on this one. Believe me SG could definitely blow out some smoke.

etcoach I agree with what you say, you are 100% correct

Gov man as far as "blowing smoke", it was not a literal refrence to smoking, it was a refrence to saying what people want to hear to get along with them or move up and you would think the man had killed someone, who cares if he smokes, our pres does. one person that wanted yes men around him is gone, hopefully the other will follow suit, kiss them their irish

I don't laugh a lot while reading this message board...but I laughed out loud on this one. Believe me SG could definitely blow out some smoke.

Yeah him and Louise Barnes....

ET I still have a sticking point when it come to WB..bitter about when my nephew played there and had three head coaches in four years....

Bitter, I am....

Didn't mean to hurt feelings....just talking about wins and losses. Schedule is still tough but the teams of the late 90's and 2000's have been more competitive..Out of Region games last year...Maryville, Sevier County, Dobyns Bennett...mix that in with Region Games with Ooltewah, Farragut, Oak Ridge....few weak sisters year in and year out. At least now Maryville is a "District" game and we can have a bit of an easier time outside of District. Karns and Jeff Co take the place of Maryville and DB outside of district. No Brainer.

My feelings aren't hurt. You have to remember in the '80's only the District Champions made the playoffs when it was truly 3 Classes. OR was king of the hill back then. We closed the gap on OR every year we played them. That is one fact I am proud of. I still have nightmares about 62-14 to the school my kids go to.

LowKee ... would have to disagree about Coach Gordon "blowin' smoke." I know he blew smoke in our new press box, behind the bleachers at Maryville! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Gov-Man evun though me and MLREB witnussed tha "blowin' smoke"....behind the bleechers at Mairvul..Eye wood haiv gladly showed him whur tha old Mairvul "smokin' hole" hidin' places wuz at!!!!!!!!!......... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />