Big 9 Baseball

tricitiessportsfan

No one knows if East will make a state run or not, but I look at the development of a team from the beginning of a season until the end of a season. Most of the teams in the Big 9 are improving and getting stronger. TN High has a great coaching staff who promotes team effort by individual growth. Coach Payne, whom I've known for a long time, raises the bar high for his youngsters. Coach Ritz, just inducted into the hall of fame, is an outstanding coach as well. DB had a great game against our Pats last night with young Mr. Harvey coming in for the save. He's a good talented kid with much potential. Might be VA Tech bound? Those kids have really improved. Even though I'm a Pat fan, like I've said before, you have to recognize talent when you see it. Loughry is very talented too. The Hill continues to get stronger and I predict WILL make a state bid this year. It's pitching, pitching and more pitching. What I hear, and have seen, is that the boys from south continue to make mistake after mistake and remain in their position without growing or learning. Their ace is an outstanding athlete and just signed a college scholarship but the young man has to have help. East is young and is making improvements. To take a power like DB to 11 innings shows me growth and love of the game. You just gotta figure out why your team is not improving and adjust. Coach Carter is a class act and did a great job up here. Community loved him. And evidently, he's doing an outstanding job with football at south too. Maybe HE oughta be coaching baseball there too.

You are clueless. You try to sound like you know a lot, but it's garbage. I'd venture to guess that Big A has as good a record if not better in his tenure than any coach in the Big 9. One thing you are right about is, high school baseball usually comes down to pitching. South isn't deep in pitching but with Archer on the hill, they can beat any team in the league. South baseball averages over 20 wins a year. Stop worrying about the Richardsons and try to finish .500 every now and then.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what year it was, but it was when former SULLIVAN SOUTH star player and current SULLIVAN SOUTH head football coach Stacy Carter was coaching them. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Good point. I'll go back into hiding again:) /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

On a side note. No one can dispute that the Kingsport area (North, South, DB), historically, have dominated NE Tenn baseball. 3 state championships and I believe 4 runner-up finishes from 83-96. Good era. South is really the only county school that stays competitive with city schools. Maybe it is because of their geographic location, I dont know. What ever the reason, you have to respect their consistant competitiveness.

If you really are the mom condolences for your bad health.If not sorry for you.Black jack is only stating facts.That is what the boards are about.Telling it like it is not having a chip on your shoulder like your husband has.No sympathy here.East played a good game last night.took them to extra innings. Go Patriots.

No chip on my shoulder. Just a regular guy who doesn't like cowards hiding behind a screen name talk about my family. If you know me so well, say "hi" sometime. Oh yeaf, you're a nadless coward hiding behind a screen name taking shots at people; so I won't hold my breath. BJ54, what an fitting screen name. ET, don't forget to give BJ the courtesy of a reach-around while you're behind him.

Good point. I'll go back into hiding again:) /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

On a side note. No one can dispute that the Kingsport area (North, South, DB), historically, have dominated NE Tenn baseball. 3 state championships and I believe 4 runner-up finishes from 83-96. Good era. South is really the only county school that stays competitive with city schools. Maybe it is because of their geographic location, I dont know. What ever the reason, you have to respect their consistant competitiveness.

DCHS,

I'll have to agree with respecting their competitiveness. Point taken. And a good one. I think there is a lot of talent on the team especially with some of the young pitchers . The #21 pitcher is stong and #45 is a hoss for sure. Look like good football men to me. The tall lanky kid was supposed to be called on alot but has seen little action my neighbor from eastman tells me. You just hate to see talent not being honed to its fullest and I'm not sure the capability is there. Now the older man who coaches, the neighbor tells me, is a dynamite at coaching, just his hands are tied by the head honcho. The pitching coach? We wont' go there. Lot of baggage. But this thread is about the Big 9 and I think DB, Crockett, Science Hill, and TN High are off and running. Central is scrappy and has some standouts like the Roberts kid. He's a player! East....Gaby and company are good too. Boone could be in the running if the Connells can play to their potential and Dishner is hitting. Coach R says it's about the pitchers and those top teams have the best for sure.

One reason that Kingsport has dominated area baseball is Kingsport baseball infrastructure. Many of the school players have been brought up in traveling baseball. In Johnson City, most of the school players have been brought up in Little League and Babe Ruth where everyone has an opportunity to play. I've noticed that Knoxville probably has some of the best baseball teams in East Tennessee. Again, many of their players are playing traveling baseball.

I like the idea that there is an organization that anyone can play, but there also needs to be an organization where the best players can go learn more than "see the ball, hit the ball." And I think Knoxville is leading in this area. The SH JV played at Bearden a couple of weekends ago. During a thunder storm, the players had to take shelter in the club house. Inside there was an indoor hitting cage. At SH, there is no such place to practice when the weather is cold or rainy.

Gabby, you are showing your newness. All of the seniors at SH played travel ball and the sophomores played with the Jr Toppers. Both of these teams have been dominant in travel ball. Most have played with Edge.

I believe that travel ball is why the big 9 sophomore class is so strong across the board.

DB continues to roll. The only team in conference that they have not beaten has been Boone. Both times, Boone has simply gotten hot with their bats. The good thing about DB is they continue to get men on base. Their pitching has drastically improved, they are playing with a chip on their shoulder. If they can get the bats going more consistently there's not a team in conference they can't beat.

DB continues to roll. The only team in conference that they have not beaten has been Boone. Both times, Boone has simply gotten hot with their bats. The good thing about DB is they continue to get men on base. Their pitching has drastically improved, they are playing with a chip on their shoulder. If they can get the bats going more consistently there's not a team in conference they can't beat.

How bout Volunteer? Will Ritz be fired over that loss? How do you lose to the last place team and say your gonna win conference?

How bout Volunteer? Will Ritz be fired over that loss? How do you lose to the last place team and say your gonna win conference?

You loose by a walk off HR.How did the Hill loose 14-4 to Farragut? I think we wore down the tribe pitching staff in the 11 inning game thurs. night at East.Parker did the same thing against east tues. night with a double. Volunteer is not a bad team.Anything can happen in big 9 ball this year.The Hill might win the conference NETfan,but the region could be a dogfight.

You loose by a walk off HR.How did the Hill loose 14-4 to Farragut? I think we wore down the tribe pitching staff in the 11 inning game thurs. night at East.Parker did the same thing against east tues. night with a double. Volunteer is not a bad team.Anything can happen in big 9 ball this year.The Hill might win the conference NETfan,but the region could be a dogfight.

I know the rankings have not been set but anyone know the layout times for the tournament? What seed plays at what time?

When is play-in?

1 vs playin?

2 vs 7

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

Right now SH has 1 locked. Boone has 2 locked up, unless they lose to crockett. If they lose to crockett and Tenn high wins out, THS will b the 2 seed in the tourney. If THS wins out they are a lock at 3. right now crockett and south are tied for 4 and 5, but if south could get higher w/ a good week. DB is at 6 East is 7, Central and volunteer are 8 and 9. I think it'll be SH vs. Central/Vol, Boone vs. East, THS vs. Crockett and South vs. DB in the tourney...idk how the tie breakers are looking right now so that 4-6 could change.

The age-old question has finally been answered. What goes good on a Ritz? A Hawkins County A** Whooping. WTG Falcons on an exciting game. We wanted to tell DB parents good game as they did us at DB but word was they were on 11W before Parker touched home plate. Never seen parents leave so fast. Was it that embarrassing for you? STILL CELEBRATING AT VHS!