South Rebels-'09

muttandjeff

The Stacy Carter regime continues to find ways to improve the overall quality of the football program. Having defensive coach Justin Hilton as track coach is already paying dividends. Congrats to South's sprint relay teams that finished 1st and 2nd respectively in the 4x200 and the 4x100 at the Big 9 Conference championships yesterday. Development of speed through track is important to success on the football field. It's great to see our football players having this kind of success against Science Hill,Dobyns-Bennett, and Tn. Hi who traditionally dominate the sprint relays.

REBEL NATION

A respectable amount of our speed is on the baseball field. Still, I find it amazing that we were schooled on the track by people we schooled on the football field. I am definately an advocate of the track and #15 was sorely missed but it seems our football speed is much more dominate than their football speed. Track speed sometimes relates to football speed but not always. Not a reason to not participate most definately but proof that football speed and track speed are two different animals. Bobeye can't beat my daughter in the 100m but nobody will catch him in 40 yards on the football field. He will be an example of football speed.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A respectable amount of our speed is on the baseball field. Still, I find it amazing that we were schooled on the track by people we schooled on the football field. I am definately an advocate of the track and #15 was sorely missed but it seems our football speed is much more dominate than their football speed. Track speed sometimes relates to football speed but not always. Not a reason to not participate most definately but proof that football speed and track speed are two different animals. Bobeye can't beat my daughter in the 100m but nobody will catch him in 40 yards on the football field. He will be an example of football speed.

They are two different animals. One is a cheetah and the other a lion,but they're both cats. You get faster running track. If you play football also ,you will be faster. Football skill players need explosion off the line to start quickly and wide open speed to run away or run down people. The uniform is different,but whether carrying a football or a baton you use the same muscles to start and accelerate. I would think you of all people ,Comp ,would acknowledge this.

As far as your daughter out running Bobby in the 100m, she may well.She should probably be playing football because I think she actually could if she wanted. What Bobby has as a football player is great explosion and powerful legs. He will run over some people but not run away from a lot. However, anyone attempting to catch him from behind and bring him down will discover their best strategy is to wrap around his ankles like a weed eater line or he will drag them to the end-zone!

REBEL NATION

Hey South fans,

My favorite folks to stir up! Sorry for runnin the mouth too much the other day, I was just bored and wanted it to be like the old days on here. Anyways, I respect South and admit I think they could go undefeated this year. Yes, I said it. My question to you all? Who do you want to beat more, DB or those Devils? Looks like both are home. DB beat you bad in 2006 at DB the last game we played. Those Devils shocked the state when they upset you all last year. I would imagine that I would like to beat the Devils more, but I can not speak for you guys. Tell me. PS, I know TN High is supposed to be good too.

Hey South fans,

My favorite folks to stir up! Sorry for runnin the mouth too much the other day, I was just bored and wanted it to be like the old days on here. Anyways, I respect South and admit I think they could go undefeated this year. Yes, I said it. My question to you all? Who do you want to beat more, DB or those Devils? Looks like both are home. DB beat you bad in 2006 at DB the last game we played. Those Devils shocked the state when they upset you all last year. I would imagine that I would like to beat the Devils more, but I can not speak for you guys. Tell me. PS, I know TN High is supposed to be good too.

Bud,

IMO, South will always want to beat the Indians first and foremost. Bud, honestly, D-B doesn't have any comrads within the ranks of other local high school teams. All the other high school teams want to beat D-B, and they want to see D-B lose. But, D-B has to know this. The G'Devils are a recent thorn for the Rebels however. A large number of the returning Rebels either started or saw significant playing time last year, so the G'ville defeat will be fresh.

You are correct, Bud. South does have D-B and G'ville at Home this year. They also have TN High and Science Hill at home. This Rebel class couldn't ask for more. As we all know, D-B at D-B is a different animal.

Yes, 2006 was ugly. The game snowballed and no changes were made to stop the slaughter.

As far as this fall goes, the current South class is another strong one, and this class has laid the wood to the current D-B class for years. They are confident and believe, but work hard and are taking noone for granted. But some kind of magic is instilled into the D-B kids when they hit that varsity level. I wish it could be bottled and sold. Even when D-B is supposed to be "down", Coach Clark, Watson, and crew have a way of making a championship team out of them. So, this year could be interesting.

Oh, and you're right. Tennessee High will be good this year.

Also, as a newly assigned 6A team, the Indians better not overlook Gilligan and the boys from the Hill. Gotta get that win to get the playoff spot out of the way. Gilligan has had time now to implement "his football" in Johnson City. So, Gilligan is on the clock now IMO ...we'll see.

Hey South fans,

You're ok Bud, For me it will always be D-B. You are the measuring stick for east Tn. This rivalry was an instant classic born when South opened it doors in 1980 and it sure helped by winning the first 2 out of 3 games in the series. In fact it's hard to believe that at one time the record was 9 wins vs 5 loses in favor of the tribe. South has not lived up to their end of the bargain in keeping it competitive. Anyone remember the OT game at J. Fred when the lights kept going out? I swear I was no where near that breaker box!!! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Man that seems like yesterday! Satch is correct, D-B is always ready to play and they are always prepared well no matter if it's a supposed down year. I remember going to many ballgames as a kid with my dad back in the early 70's and standing underneath the big Indian head (where the current scoreboard is located). I have a lot of respect for D-B's history and accomplishments and I am a big fan of Roop. This young man goes to my church and he is an outstanding young man! Good luck to the Tribe, I hope you win them all except for 1!

They are two different animals. One is a cheetah and the other a lion,but they're both cats. You get faster running track. If you play football also ,you will be faster. Football skill players need explosion off the line to start quickly and wide open speed to run away or run down people. The uniform is different,but whether carrying a football or a baton you use the same muscles to start and accelerate. I would think you of all people ,Comp ,would acknowledge this.

As far as your daughter out running Bobby in the 100m, she may well.She should probably be playing football because I think she actually could if she wanted. What Bobby has as a football player is great explosion and powerful legs. He will run over some people but not run away from a lot. However, anyone attempting to catch him from behind and bring him down will discover their best strategy is to wrap around his ankles like a weed eater line or he will drag them to the end-zone!

REBEL NATION

Crawdad, My whole point was that track speed does not always relate to football speed. Of course I am an advocate of football players running track. When I played it was a requirment. If you played baseball then you gave track the first priority. So that means that only the fastest football players, or best hitters, or pitchers etc. were on the baseball team from the football team. Anyway, yes I think it is of the utmost importance that football players run track. I think Charlie and KK are examples of that success. But, I don't think track speed in and of itself necessarily translates to football speed. Science Hill had some pretty fast people but we didn't seem to have an issue with that during football season. As well, Tennessee High had some pretty fast people also but we were playing "catch me if you can" at the 'Castle last year. And the thing about Bobeye and Abbey was not to advocate anything about my daughter but to emphasize that Bobeye don't need track speed. Because even though my daughter could out run him in the 100m nobody will catch him on the football field. He can turn on a dime and has some of the quickest acceleration I've ever seen. But then I'm not telling you anything 'cause you've seen it. I guess I don't think Bobeye has found his nitche' on the track. I think pole vaulting yes, but I also think hurdles. I know...HURDLES! But I think that would help him most on the football field. Just my opinion. Because I can see him hurdling someone as they go for his ankles. Which we all know that is how they will be schooled to bring him down. So what better technique to respond with than to go over the top. Bobeye will pick up where #15 left off...no doubt about it. Track speed or no track speed.

Crawdad, My whole point was that track speed does not always relate to football speed. Of course I am an advocate of football players running track. When I played it was a requirment. If you played baseball then you gave track the first priority. So that means that only the fastest football players, or best hitters, or pitchers etc. were on the baseball team from the football team. Anyway, yes I think it is of the utmost importance that football players run track. I think Charlie and KK are examples of that success. But, I don't think track speed in and of itself necessarily translates to football speed. Science Hill had some pretty fast people but we didn't seem to have an issue with that during football season. As well, Tennessee High had some pretty fast people also but we were playing "catch me if you can" at the 'Castle last year. And the thing about Bobeye and Abbey was not to advocate anything about my daughter but to emphasize that Bobeye don't need track speed. Because even though my daughter could out run him in the 100m nobody will catch him on the football field. He can turn on a dime and has some of the quickest acceleration I've ever seen. But then I'm not telling you anything 'cause you've seen it. I guess I don't think Bobeye has found his nitche' on the track. I think pole vaulting yes, but I also think hurdles. I know...HURDLES! But I think that would help him most on the football field. Just my opinion. Because I can see him hurdling someone as they go for his ankles. Which we all know that is how they will be schooled to bring him down. So what better technique to respond with than to go over the top. Bobeye will pick up where #15 left off...no doubt about it. Track speed or no track speed.

It seems as though he would be ideal for discuss honestly. Has he ever given that a shot? Low center gravity... Acceleration burst... Cooridination and Power... it adds up pretty nicely. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hey South fans,

Sssupp Bud. Everybody kinda' disappeared. If you want a good fight you got to have Cap1, Volman, ArtVandalay, Maroonandgrey, Plowboy. Then you see a good fight with 04 to moderate it.

I may not speak for everyone anymore but I would imagine DB to be the pinicle. There's no wanting to beat Greeneville...they will kill them. Knox West? You tell me. Probably, it's more important than DB in a statewide view. Seeing as how DB's stock has fallen to an all time low. Bristol is supposed to be bad but the South D will be recognized statewide. Bristol will fall to the Rebels. Another good O that will slam points on the board. I (as said previously) expect Science Hill to breakout for '09. And Virginia? Well that's where we all came from. But sorry...this ain't their year.

There were no doubts about the '08 Rebels. Everyone knew they had it all even before summer drills began. For '09 there are a couple of questionables and so many will be conservative for that reason. No die hard Rebel is conservative. Hang it out and go for broke. Again, all bases are covered...from here on out it's a mental game. And the mental game seems to be our downfall so hopefully we've learned our lesson...10-0 from my view. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Hey, spring practice starting next week got me thinking about scrimmages. The Rebs will still have Elizabethton the last day of spring practice... BUT, it seems when things ramp back up after the summer, the calendar has changed a bit. Jeff Co had been penciled in, but they are gone. Last year's scrimmage at Jeff Co, was, well, lop-sided to say the least. Guess they didn't want to come to Sully Co. It looks as if the days of other easy scrimmage opponents like Cocke Co and Happy Valley are through. 9-3 Powell comes to Death Valley. They beat Knox West in '08, South's opening opponent in '09, by just 2 points. So, this might be very useful. Fun for sure.

Wow, ya think West has a tough '09 schedule...it's Murder's Row!

2009 Schedule Date Opponent

Fri Aug. 21 Sullivan South

Fri Aug. 28 at Hardin Valley

Fri Sep. 4 at Maryville D

Fri Sep. 18 Farragut D

Fri Sep. 25 Fulton

Fri Oct. 2 at William Blount D

Fri Oct. 9 Lenoir City D

Fri Oct. 16 at Knoxville Catholic D

Thu Oct. 22 Bearden D

Fri Oct. 30 at Heritage D

Hey, spring practice starting next week got me thinking about scrimmages. The Rebs will still have Elizabethton the last day of spring practice... BUT, it seems when things ramp back up after the summer, the calendar has changed a bit. Jeff Co had been penciled in, but they are gone. Last year's scrimmage at Jeff Co, was, well, lop-sided to say the least. Guess they didn't want to come to Sully Co. It looks as if the days of other easy scrimmage opponents like Cocke Co and Happy Valley are through. 9-3 Powell comes to Death Valley. They beat Knox West in '08, South's opening opponent in '09, by just 2 points. So, this might be very useful. Fun for sure.

Fri Sep. 18 Farragut D

Fri Sep. 25 Fulton

Fri Oct. 9 Lenoir City D

Thu Oct. 22 Bearden D

Looks like 2-8 to me. It won't be much to hang our hat on by season's end except to point out to Bud and Waco that they were "west of Morristown". I really like the scrimmage date with Powell. It's nice to start playing some of these teams from Knoxville to get the exposure beyond NET.

Fri Sep. 18 Farragut D

Fri Sep. 25 Fulton

Fri Oct. 9 Lenoir City D

Thu Oct. 22 Bearden D

Yeah, the Powell scrimmage is good. I agree with Crawdad about West's schedule. If they pull more than 3 wins out of that then they will be doing good. More than that and they are fighters. Was their '08 schedule that tuff? Talk about upping the mental game!