South Rebels-'09

muttandjeff

I forgot to add that there might be a possibility also of a city transfer at the QB position for our upcoming freshman class. If this happens, we won't have to worry about MC playing at the QB spot. We can put him at RB along with our transfer from Holston and the backfield is cooking with grease! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

To what lengths do parents go to down in the Kingsport area to ensure their son (or daughter) gets to play sports? Is it worth all of that moving around and changing schools? Odds are, if they're not good enough at school A then they won't be good enough at school B, either.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To what lengths do parents go to down in the Kingsport area to ensure their son (or daughter) gets to play sports? Is it worth all of that moving around and changing schools? Odds are, if they're not good enough at school A then they won't be good enough at school B, either.

2nd that motion. Play em with what ya got. This is not the NFL. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

ps I understand that there are some really fine rising sophomore athletes working hard and waiting their turn. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree. But, the circumstances around one of these kids is different. And, trust me, he can play where ever he chooses to go. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

2nd that motion. Play em with what ya got. This is not the NFL. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

ps I understand that there are some really fine rising sophomore athletes working hard and waiting their turn. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Understood jhilts. You are correct about the group of rising sophs. I didn't get to see but a couple of the freshman games last year so I don't know all of the boys yet. From what I saw, it's a good group. Who stands out in your eyes? You are probably much more familiar than I.

Understood jhilts. You are correct about the group of rising sophs. I didn't get to see but a couple of the freshman games last year so I don't know all of the boys yet. From what I saw, it's a good group. Who stands out in your eyes? You are probably much more familiar than I.

Well, JJ moved to TE, of course JC, the center may be 1st team?, a fast but small RB, big line people and quick receivers and DBs. Their QB, AR, is not getting much mention. Probably a little slow now, but I assume will work hard to get a turn.

That's all really second hand, but have followed them in previous years. Winners. Their freshman team got off to a slow start and there was some dissension among parents and coaches. They did come on strong and won the last 5 or 6.

I forgot to add that there might be a possibility also of a city transfer at the QB position for our upcoming freshman class. If this happens, we won't have to worry about MC playing at the QB spot. We can put him at RB along with our transfer from Holston and the backfield is cooking with grease! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

I have a friend that his kid goes to Holston and is a player,the good back is trying to bring him along to South.I was honest about the good and bad for my friends son.The fact is,until Central get's a system in place to keep those great athletes from Holston,it's going to kill them.I don't blame any of the good athletes at South that I could be watching today at the Maroon and Grey game for going there.Sometimes the talent is close and a kid wouldn't be at the position he really should be,or a parent went to that school.Folks,you have to remember that we all work together,and shop at the same walmart,so what is best for our son's,is allways going to be number one.I wish South a great year and will not lie,I'll pull for my son's team against all other's .

I have a friend that his kid goes to Holston and is a player,the good back is trying to bring him along to South.I was honest about the good and bad for my friends son.The fact is,until Central get's a system in place to keep those great athletes from Holston,it's going to kill them.I don't blame any of the good athletes at South that I could be watching today at the Maroon and Grey game for going there.Sometimes the talent is close and a kid wouldn't be at the position he really should be,or a parent went to that school.Folks,you have to remember that we all work together,and shop at the same walmart,so what is best for our son's,is allways going to be number one.I wish South a great year and will not lie,I'll pull for my son's team against all other's .

Batman, it's a tender situation locally. I think the momentum has swung from transfers to DB to transfers from DB. Even though I really don't remember a superstar at DB that wasn't a native. But to be honest it's not anywhere near the cat scratch fever that occurs in the rest of the state regarding transfers...especially in the Knoxville area. But as a parent I understand the anxious feeling of knowing in middle school or even before that you have a potential college player and where will he or she have the best oportunity. And especially in the Holston situation. For whatever reasons everyone knows Sullivan Central football is going no where. South was in that delimna when Stacy Carter got there in 2004. I didn't then think DB's program would be a state contender in 2007/2008 so I stayed at South. I did have interviews at McCallie, Baylor, and Brentwood Academy. With McCallie being the only boarding school I chose to stay home. In 2003 McCallie wasn't a football heavyweight but since then have done well. Of course BJ Coleman is one example. So I for one can't blame a parent for trying to get the best situation possible...at least within reasonable parameters.

I have been through the politics of playing time, in the lower levels, for years and am now on nieces and nephews. There are no guarantees at the high school varsity level. No daddy coaches. If we're still talking JW from Holston, he better be working hard. There are at least two fine RBs that he will be competing against that are only Sophomores this year and more in the pipeline. I guess that is the dilemma. Do you play where you can come as close as is possible to a guaranteed spot or do you take the chance against very strong competition? Will be interesting either way. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I have been through the politics of playing time, in the lower levels, for years and am now on nieces and nephews. There are no guarantees at the high school varsity level. No daddy coaches. If we're still talking JW from Holston, he better be working hard. There are at least two fine RBs that he will be competing against that are only Sophomores this year and more in the pipeline. I guess that is the dilemma. Do you play where you can come as close as is possible to a guaranteed spot or do you take the chance against very strong competition? Will be interesting either way. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I think two prime examples of this are BT and JC. They had differing reasons for coming to South from DB, one says he would have never stayed on the team and the other says he would never have gotten to play. I think they both expected to run the show as soon as they walked in the door but quickly realized that there is a little more to it than that. One has paid his dues and the other is still on installments but one thing is for sure. They are quality athletes and are fine examples of young men. Be that the product of genetics, parenting, association, the Stacy Carter plan, or all of the above, they are success stories waiting to happen. If these were DB rejects then we will take them all day long. Fact of the matter is that even though these two had talent it had to be tempered in fire and honed with a stone and shot peened for durability. You may be a born Rebel or you may be a walk-on but the process is the same...no favouritism shown. Because when you hit that field fulltime you do so with a responsibility and pride to carry it that will walk with you through life. We may not have a big band...but we are a band of big. Rebel Nation

I think two prime examples of this are BT

God had the most to do with Bobby being at South. Sports had NOTHING to do with it, truthfully. His 6th grade year he defied his mother by making a grade below a C and hanging out with thugs from kindergarten. I picked him up for Christmas break and promptly removed him from Kingsport City Schools. Bobby was actually in charge of his own fate, as usual. After many rounds of "Who's Da Boss?" in middle schools with his mom sitting in a desk beside him, he lived to go to High School. I work at Johnson City Schools so he could have gone to Science Hill. Bobby had the choice of high schools and he chose South---- not for the sports, but for the family legacy of Rebel Alumni in our family.

We didn't have the luxury of choosing the best athletic school for our kid----we needed to keep him alive and help him progress in academics. Although he was athletic, we knew he'd never play pinball without good grades and the kid definately needed some 'home raising' by the time we adopted him. Those of you that remember us from back in that day will testify that sports was not high on our priority list for the Duece.

....all that and we've still weathered a million near misses just to see him take the field in BLUE & GREY; that's why we never take it for granted--- not one second, not one day---- it's all a miracle and a blessing when you see that kid show up healthy with his goofy grin and nappy hair... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

DaDueceMama