South Rebels-'09

muttandjeff

Where do you guys scrimmage Powell? I'd like to come check that out if it's at home.

Knox Powell scrimmage at South on Tues at 5:30.

I really don't mean to sound like I am correcting you, but Powell isn't in Knoxville and the school isn't called Knox Powell. We live in and the high school is located in Powell, TN, which is in Knox County, but not in the City of Knoxville and the high school is called Powell High School.

Calling where we live Knoxville would be like calling Blountville or Bluff City the City of Bristol or Kingsport.

Have I confused you enough? :roflolk:

Trust me it doesn't take much to confuse me. :thumb: I was making sure GC, from Gate City Va., wasn't thinking it was Powell Valley Va. that we were scrimmaging. However I did not actually know that Powell High didn't carry the prefix of Knox because of being in Knox county. I thought they might use that like we use Sullivan before all of our directional high schools, North, South, East and Central. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :thumb:

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has become sickening. We were very fortunate to have a run of great kids/coaches/parents for the last few years. I'm beginning to see what others have been talking about with the new breed. Let's hope this doesn't continue. Some people need to remember the top 3 rules of any successful program.........1) Let the coaches coach. 2) let the players play. 3) if your are not included in rule 1 or 2, SHUT UP and the let the ones that are included do what they are supposed to do! If you want the days of the mid to late 90's and early 2000's to return, keep it up and your wishes will come true.

The new breed? Do you think the coaches or the players take the time to come here? And if they do, will it ruin the program? Please!

I am all for NObody talking with coaches or players, other than maybe the parents of that particular player. But your bold "shut up" means they might as well shut this board down.

And I wouldn't like that at all. Please remember that there are approximately 14 gazillion other websites for you to ride your high horse through.

I love this board as much as anyone. It's fun. It's supposed to be fun. But, when people start taking shots at their teammates, to me, that crosses the line. And by teammates, that could be players or parents because we are all in this TOGETHER. And even if it's only one or two doing it, it could still end up manifesting itself in the whole team. I've been around awhile. I've seen it before and I can see where it could end up with our current crop. Trust me, once it starts, it's hard to stop. It only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch. I'm just saying, we've had it good the past few years and I'd like it to continue. By "new breed" I mean the underclassmen and a select few of the veterans. Both parents and players. These boys only get this chance once, and I hope they all enjoy it to the fullest.

South appears to be in meltdown.

I heard that Betsy outplayed them in the scrimmage last Friday. Does anyone have any "football related insight" into this event? I realize this question runs counter to this thread's theme of "whose kid did better".

Okay, in keeping with BOTH themes.............Betsy's kids did better than ours. How's that? :roflolk:

South appears to be in meltdown.

I heard that Betsy outplayed them in the scrimmage last Friday. Does anyone have any "football related insight" into this event? I realize this question runs counter to this thread's theme of "whose kid did better".

Okay, in keeping with BOTH themes.............Betsy's kids did better than ours. How's that? :roflolk:

:thumb:

Guys...leave Satch alone OK. Thanks for your support but let it go. It's tough being a Senior parent. It's really tough being an ex Senior parent. :o It's really, really tough being the parent of the guy who couldn't punch in the last TD. :o It's tough watching your son drop a beautifully calculated 60 yarder in the end zone much less having to hear the whipers of "that's it he's done" starting with the Science Hill game. :) 'Cmon now...it's tough. He really did not mean it to sound the way it did. I was the one to recruit #1 when he was on the track team when he was a 6th grader. I went to his Mama and begged to let him play the next fall. I said this last year and I'll say it this year, put him in the backfield and throw him screens to get him warmed up. Heck, you get him the ball in space and he's gone anyway. So your wife vomits every time you make advances. Maybe you just make her sick. Maybe you should try a different approach. All the whisperers know that I have had #1's back all last year and since. I was chastised for it. I just don't give up that easily. Take Michael Acero. He was mine. Seth Johnson...mine. JJ mine! Well, Bobeye might belong to Wade Garvin but I love him too. Todays scrimmage was nothing. Satch is right...it's coming together. It's what Stacy does. Instead to look the other way give #1 a pat on the back and the St. Let them know that you know they "Got This"! Tell them they are walking in some big shoes right now and that it's time to open for business. Make them be responsible but make sure they know you are their spotter. Maybe a little different approach guys...they need us...yeah, that's right US! Who knows...maybe your wife won't feel so nauscious.

Hey Comp...great post! I'm curious to what you mean about Bobby belonging Mr. Garvin...I thought he was Mr. and Mrs. Taylor's boy?

For those of you who have some interest in who might be playing, here is who I saw playing the most at the Betsy scrimmage depending on what set they were in:

OT - Morelock? (Connaway did not dress but was at the scrimmage)

OG- Fuller

C - Solt

OG - Zach Ervin (McGothlin rotated in at OG some)

OT - Conkin (Hammonds and Logue rotated in at OT some)

WR - Zanoni

WR - Watterson

WR - Shanks

QB - St Clair

RB - Taylor

TE - Phillips, Garvin, Anderson

FB - Phillips

On defense:

DL: Mcglothlin, Logue and Hammonds (Conkin and Fuller rotated in here)

LB : Bates, Garvin , Phillips and Anderson

DB: Zanoni, Shanks, Rowland, and Not sure about the 4th DB (Riddle, Williams, Shipley ??)

Everyone played some but this who I saw out there the most.

The kickers (Austin and Fenvys? rotated). We didn't punt so not sure about that.

My thoughts on the scrimmage were that Betsy threw the ball pretty well against us. They hit 3 or 4 long balls (2 of which were pretty much jump balls) that resulted in scores. #22? for Betsy made some nice plays going up and making some snags. THE QBS for Betsy #10 can really run it and #15 for Betsy can throw it pretty well. Betsy didn't do a whole lot on the ground. South ran the ball pretty well. Bobby and Aaron had some nice runs. I really liked Aaron's toughness. He made something out of nothing on several plays. Betsy looked like a different team than we scrimmaged in the Spring. Both teams had a couple of turnovers that stopped drives. I think the first teams played to about a draw on the scoreboard (5 scores each - could have been 5-4 not sure). South 1#s seemed to pick up steam running the ball as the scrimmage went on. Betsy scored 2 or 3 times on Souths 2s and 3s late.

It was hot! Didn't see any obvious injuries for either side.

Betsy should do very well in its conference.

South has plenty to work on and needs to improve if it wants to be successful against a very tough schedule. The Powell scrimmage will be a great test!

For those of you who have some interest in who might be playing, here is who I saw playing the most at the Betsy scrimmage depending on what set they were in:

OG- Fuller

C - Solt

WR - Zanoni

WR - Watterson

WR - Shanks

QB - St Clair

RB - Taylor

FB - Phillips

On defense:

DB: Zanoni, Shanks, Rowland, and Not sure about the 4th DB (Riddle, Williams, Shipley ??)

The kickers (Austin and Fenvys? rotated). We didn't punt so not sure about that.

My thoughts on the scrimmage were that Betsy threw the ball pretty well against us. They hit 3 or 4 long balls (2 of which were pretty much jump balls) that resulted in scores. #22? for Betsy made some nice plays going up and making some snags. THE QBS for Betsy #10 can really run it and #15 for Betsy can throw it pretty well. Betsy didn't do a whole lot on the ground. South ran the ball pretty well. Bobby and Aaron had some nice runs. I really liked Aaron's toughness. He made something out of nothing on several plays. Betsy looked like a different team than we scrimmaged in the Spring. Both teams had a couple of turnovers that stopped drives. I think the first teams played to about a draw on the scoreboard (5 scores each - could have been 5-4 not sure). South 1#s seemed to pick up steam running the ball as the scrimmage went on. Betsy scored 2 or 3 times on Souths 2s and 3s late.

South has plenty to work on and needs to improve if it wants to be successful against a very tough schedule. The Powell scrimmage will be a great test!

What happened to Cassell?

OG- Fuller

C - Solt

WR - Zanoni

WR - Watterson

WR - Shanks

QB - St Clair

RB - Taylor

FB - Phillips

On defense:

What happened to Cassell?

You are not far off, Reb. However, there is no LB named Bates---that would be Long, and he played well, been waiting a long time, patiently waiting, and he's escited to be there. Also, I may be wrong, but #22 didn't play much if at all with the #1's --he played with the #2's. A.J. Hutchins did see some time with the #1's and did fairly well considering his lack of experience.

Ethan Bates plays basketball - Ethan Long plays football. Sorry about that. In fact, Ethan LONG made several big plays in the scrimmage - an interception and a fumble recovery if I remember correctly. It is great to see kids who are good ball players like Ethan who have stuck it out, waited their turn and worked hard get a chance to get on the field and have some fun. After all that is what it is really all about isn't it! FUN!! We should all remind ourselves of that. For any poster on here who would badmouth a kid on this board because he missed a block, fumbled a ball, etc, you need to take a good long look in the mirror because something is obviously missing in your own life.

All of the names and information is based on my memory - so take it for what its worth. I am sure several other kids played a lot that I did not mention. As for Cassell, I didn't see him play a lot, if any. Could be an injury - I don't know. I hope he gets a chance as I saw him some last year during JV and he has some talent.

Ethan Bates plays basketball - Ethan Long plays football. Sorry about that. In fact, Ethan LONG made several big plays in the scrimmage - an interception and a fumble recovery if I remember correctly. It is great to see kids who are good ball players like Ethan who have stuck it out, waited their turn and worked hard get a chance to get on the field and have some fun. After all that is what it is really all about isn't it! FUN!! We should all remind ourselves of that. For any poster on here who would badmouth a kid on this board because he missed a block, fumbled a ball, etc, you need to take a good long look in the mirror because something is obviously missing in your own life.

All of the names and information is based on my memory - so take it for what its worth. I am sure several other kids played a lot that I did not mention. As for Cassell, I didn't see him play a lot, if any. Could be an injury - I don't know. I hope he gets a chance as I saw him some last year during JV and he has some talent.

Hey, I thought you gave a pretty accurate account. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time.

Cassell is injured and did not play.

Well...I am feelin' the love.

Doesn't change the fact that South has serious problems.

And speaking of Daddies, if they (WG) have the coaches ear the problems are multiplied by at least...... infinity.

Do you really think Coach Carter listens to parents?? If you do you are an idiot. I bet your son is not starting, huh? You go talk to Coach Carter about playing time and see how it works for you.

And if you knew the man that you are calling out in this post, you would know better than to even suggest it. Furthermore, those boys don't need help. They can take care of themselves and do and have and will, and on and on.