Ronnie Carter

devilsden

According to the Tennessean, the new director was voted in almost immediately. That has to tell you something about the guy. When all of his peers are ready to name him that quickly, he has to be a stand up guy. They probably were wanting him to be there anyway.

Or it tells you that they didn't want to deal with the possibility of hiring a new director who MIGHT not conduct "business as usual" The hiring of Childress was a kneejerk reaction at best.One that may be soon regretted .

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or it tells you that they didn't want to deal with the possibility of hiring a new director who MIGHT not conduct "business as usual" The hiring of Childress was a kneejerk reaction at best.One that may be soon regretted .

Mr. Childress has 14 years of experience as an Assistant Executive Director at TSSAA. The Board of Control has had the opportunity to observe his work and see how he interacts with their fellow member school officials. He already has established relationships with the various players with whom the Executive Director must interact, such as principals and administrators, coaches, game officials, the State Board of Education, TACA, TAIS, the various officials' associations, sponsors of TSSAA events, facility operators, organizations that host TSSAA playoffs, and the NFHS. He already has established relationships with the TSSAA staff, among whom he is highly thought of. He understands the role of the Executive Director, understands the functions of the organization, is respected, thoughtful, and a hard worker. He is committed to the organization. He is already on the staff, so the transition can be accomplished smoothly.

It may have been an easy decision since someone so well qualified for the position, and who could take the position without undue disruption, was right there. It may have been a simple decision because it was so obvious. But I don't think choosing to avoid unnecessary disruption, and selecting a qualified candidate that you know as opposed to engaging in guesswork based on resumes and interviews with people whose work you haven't observed, is "kneejerk."

I'm confident that Mr. Chidress will be a fine Executive Director. Of course he will be criticized, because criticism comes with the territory. But he will serve the Association well, as he has for the last 14 years.

History will treat Ronnie Carter well. He was well-respected by his

peers around the country, and he was faithful to high school athletics.

Carter guided the ship with honor and dignity during some difficult

times. He met the challenges, knowing that his decisions and actions

would never be universally accepted.

In many ways, directing the TSSAA is a thankless job. Many will always

be frustrated with the financial and classification issues. Tennessee

high school athletics has been fortunate to have someone of Carter's

character at the helm. Many of us will miss him and wish him well.

Let's just get it all out on the table. Ronnie Carter is responsible for:

-global warming

-the sub-prime mortgage meltdown

-the impeachment of the Illinois governor

-the Iraq war

-the great depression of the 1930's

-WW I and WW II

-Michigan's loss to Appalachian State in 07

and every other bad thing that has happened in the history of mankind. He and George W. Bush conspired to bring this country down. Thank goodness Keith Olberman on MSNBC saved us from these evil tyrants.

If your team ever loses a game, blame Ronnie. If an official makes a bad call, blame Ronnie. If the grass in centerfield is bare, blame Ronnie. If the roof leaks in the gym-yep its Ronnie's fault.

Now that we have that all out in the open, I have known and worked with Ronnie for over 25 years. As others have stated, I have not agreed with many of the decisions, but I have great respect for the man and understand that he makes decisions based on what is best for the entire TSSAA. On a few occassions when I thought I had the answers, he has shared wisdom and insight that showed my viewpoint was a little shortsighted.

His relationship with the member schools and the general public is very similiar to the relationship that exists between a coach and parents. Many parents want what they feel is best for their child (my child must be the starting quarterback, pitcher, point guard...). The coach must make decisions based on what is best for the team. That may mean that your child is the 3rd string right guard or the backup right fielder.... There will always be conflicts between coaches and parents.

On many issues, Ronnie gets rocks thrown at him from both sides. I appreciate all he has done for high school athletics in Tennessee and I wish him lots of fun time with his grandchildren and low scores on the golf course. Most of all, I hope he can enjoy a life away from the constant complaints of others.

Good luck Bernard. I hope the wolves will give you a few fun years before they start circling around you.

Let's just get it all out on the table. Ronnie Carter is responsible for:

-global warming

-the sub-prime mortgage meltdown

-the impeachment of the Illinois governor

-the Iraq war

-the great depression of the 1930's

-WW I and WW II

-Michigan's loss to Appalachian State in 07

and every other bad thing that has happened in the history of mankind. He and George W. Bush conspired to bring this country down. Thank goodness Keith Olberman on MSNBC saved us from these evil tyrants.

If your team ever loses a game, blame Ronnie. If an official makes a bad call, blame Ronnie. If the grass in centerfield is bare, blame Ronnie. If the roof leaks in the gym-yep its Ronnie's fault.

Now that we have that all out in the open, I have known and worked with Ronnie for over 25 years. As others have stated, I have not agreed with many of the decisions, but I have great respect for the man and understand that he makes decisions based on what is best for the entire TSSAA. On a few occassions when I thought I had the answers, he has shared wisdom and insight that showed my viewpoint was a little shortsighted.

His relationship with the member schools and the general public is very similiar to the relationship that exists between a coach and parents. Many parents want what they feel is best for their child (my child must be the starting quarterback, pitcher, point guard...). The coach must make decisions based on what is best for the team. That may mean that your child is the 3rd string right guard or the backup right fielder.... There will always be conflicts between coaches and parents.

On many issues, Ronnie gets rocks thrown at him from both sides. I appreciate all he has done for high school athletics in Tennessee and I wish him lots of fun time with his grandchildren and low scores on the golf course. Most of all, I hope he can enjoy a life away from the constant complaints of others.

Good luck Bernard. I hope the wolves will give you a few fun years before they start circling around you.

I don't know if you atre aware of this ornot,Carter has also been identified by an inmate in the Fulton County jail on ESPN's Outside The Lines as the "BRAINS"behind pacman jones shooting escapades!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...