Smith Co. Football

Guest Termite

It's too bad that Glencliff's outstanding quarterback, Mitchell Clemons, has supposedly been caught and charged with burglary/theft (along with 3 other individuals). If this story from today's Tennessean is true then he is going to have to pay for his crime and football is no longer going to be a luxury for him in all likelihood. He was set to have a good year this season for a Glencliff team, that despite the win/loss record, is making huge strides under coach Murray & company.

The Colts athleticism and speed will provide a great preseason test for the Owls :D

Howdy may make a guest appearance for this one for any of you SCHS faithful who are planning on attending the scrimmage!

Howdy, Scott Murray, Colts head coach, is from Smith County and played football here. Outstanding TB and LB. He went on to Cumberland and played football there

Owls (2A) / Colts (5A) - Yep, lot more athletes for the Colts. Been there and done that before though.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No comments about the scrimmage??

I thought the Owls looked good for the 1st time out. Still have some work to do. Nothing that can't be fixed. They ran the ball a little better than I expected. Threw the ball very good. Lots of good recievers.The starters looked good against what appeared to be an overall faster and larger squad.

The younger guys looked good. The future looks bright. The Soph. and Fr. have a ton of potential. The only thing missing is the strength and experience.

Good outing.........no injuries (I think).

The Owls did indeed do well for the first outing. Several good ball plays by the receivers. Nuss made an outstanding catch. RBs stuck it up in there pretty well at times. Anxious for next friday at TTU. hope the Owls have a great work week and keep developing the young talent for much needed depth.

Coach Murf's Colts have some good players. #77 is a very good lineman. #3 made a great move in the open field to break free. You could tell they were playing new QBs but they have ability. Best of luck to the Colts this year!!

GO BIG OWLS!!!

Went to the scrimmage as an outside observer, not as a diehard SC fan. Team appears to be very well coached, and has some good players, but typical of 2A (now 3A) school, not a lot of size.

QB #7 has a very good arm and accurate, #13 shows a lot of heart and runs hard, despite size, a couple of the receivers made some really nice catches in traffic. Was especially impressed with #51 - he is all over the field and a real hitter.

One thing I cannot understand is why they are playing #7 on defense. I don't care how good a DB he is, he is the key to a good season on offense. SC cannot afford to have him get hurt on defense. Put the 2nd stringer back there even if it is a step down, and protect #7.

The Owls did indeed do well for the first outing. Several good ball plays by the receivers. Nuss made an outstanding catch. RBs stuck it up in there pretty well at times. Anxious for next friday at TTU. hope the Owls have a great work week and keep developing the young talent for much needed depth.

Coach Murf's Colts have some good players. #77 is a very good lineman. #3 made a great move in the open field to break free. You could tell they were playing new QBs but they have ability. Best of luck to the Colts this year!!

I didn't get to make it to the scrimmage but I bet that the Colts had talent and athleticism running out their ears. Did anyone on defense step it up to become the leader on D ? How about the defensive line, the offensive line and could the Colts sustain any drives?

GO BIG OWLS!!!

CPA4Ever, that is a legit concern that I'm certain has been debated heavily by SC's coaches. 7 only got to play spot duty on D last year for that reason. It's been nearly a year and I don't have the best memory but I would think he played about 10 snaps on D, was thrown at about 4 times and had 2 picks. That's memory off my head...I might be way off...but I doubt it. 7 is a solid qb, as you saw yesterday. He's also a very good all around football player. The depth at the QB position is one of the reasons 7 is getting reps on D. Any player that can contribute at a high level on both sides of the football should be able to do so. That's my .02 anyway.

There are teams SC will play that flings it around pretty good. Dekalb comes to mind real quick. Having #7 at DB may be necessary in games like that. Any injury this year is a concern, #7-5-13-1-50-51-58-72-and keep going.....all need to be on the field. When the game(especially a district games) is on the line, you have to give yourself the best chance to win. I hope #7 doesn't have to play much on defense, but it's nice to know he can.

Somebody else mentioned it, but man,I have to give credit where credit is due. #47 Nasty Nathan Nuss has become a football player. I would have never thought that. Last year as a reciever a,DB and punt returner. This year already going up making big catches in traffic. That guy is fearless. What does he weigh ...140??

Well congrats to the Owls on doing a good job....bigreid I bet you were torn on who to pull for weren't you????? hahahahahaha

It would've been nice if I had got to go. I would've made a 6pm start time but anything before that was out for me. Besides, I don't necessarily pull during a scrimmage...it's just a day to get better. I feel safe in saying that neither coaching staff watched much film or did much gameplanning for it !!!!hahahahahahaha

I went to the scrimmage just to be nosy and see what the Owls look like in person. #7 is a really good player at QB. He has good sie and can throw the football down the field with accuracy. He also does a good job of throwing on the run when the Owls do their spring action stuff. #13 does run the ball hard. He is not the biggest guy in the world by any means but you can tell that he is tough. #1 has to be the kid from Gordonsville is this correct? He is a good compliment to #13 in the backfield. At receiver I was really impressed with #5 & #47. The Owls do a lot of things with #5 and why not because he is a good football player. You can tell that #7 & #5 have played catch in the backyard about a million times. #47 isn't very big but bottom line is that he's tough and can catch the football. He reminds me of #23 for Giles 2 years ago and #7 for Marshall last year. Up front I loved watching the 1-ON-1 stuff before the scrimmage and in the scrimmage I was impressed. #77, #72, #50, #58, #51 are good on the offensive line. Those guys communicate well in the stuff that the Owls do on offense and #77, #72, #58, #55 are all very interchangeable guys on the defensive front in Smith's defense. #51 & #30 are a couple of very good defensive football players. #51 can play down hill and go from sideline to sideline and #30 can do the same. Those 2 guys are just football players. #5 & #7 are long athletic players in the defensive secondary. #1 will be playing as a starter in the secondary when all is said and done IMHO. He will help the Owls more there then anywhere else on the field! All things considered I was very impressed with Smith Co. and it's going to take a very good effort by a very good football team to knock them off this season.

As for Glencliff I will say that the quarterbacks are inexperienced but they didn't play that bad at all. Clemons may be back depending on what is decided in the next week (that is what I heard). #3 was very quick. He had more moves than I could count on that long run for a score. #45 for the Colts is also a good player. He needs to get tougher overall but when the light comes on he is going to be a beast. Good looking kid. #77 is the Colts best overall football player. He is a gigantic kid and plays physical at offensive and defensive tackle. It should be an interesting year for Glencliff. If they get Clemons back they could be really dangerous. If not then they are going to have to get one of those kids at QB ready to go before the season starts. They play at Sycamore in week 1 so it's a film that our coaches will get to see before we play Sycamore in week 3. I can't wait to see how they've progresses at that point. Good luck to the Colts!