Clarksville coach

Indian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting article, Ward stirred the pot to invent this story and then has to twist truths to make a personal attack on Jeff to make a story. Jeff's question for years has been why put a Middle Tennessee ref or Chattanooga ref on the mat with Middle Tn and Chattanooga teams on the mat. It's not done in any other sport. Has nothing to do with the ref themselves, but more how they are assigned and why. Several years ago when Clarksville and Bradley met in the finals, I went to ask Ronnie Carter to please put two West Tn refs on the mat so there wouldn??™t be any perceived notions of favoritism. He personally told me OK, when we got started it was a totally different case. West Tn officials did not report to the mat, when Jeff questioned Ronnie Carter, he became very angry. Yet when I asked him it seemed like it wasn??™t a problem at all, I can only speculate this came after talking with the man responsible for official assignments. Why the TSSAA doesn??™t want to treat wrestling like all other sports makes a person wonder. But Ward didn??™t want to report that Clarksville has been working on this for several years now, or that Clarksville has wanted to do away with the duals for awhile. (I have been begging to give it up because it has become such a distraction for the team. I think we should be able to show up and wrestle like every other team.) It appears Ward just wanted to make a personal attack on Jeff. By the way Ward couldn??™t report it because he never asked, the threat occurred when there was a blood time out in the 285 pound weight class. Cleveland didn??™t think there was blood and our wrestler was gased. I won??™t repeat what was said but I heard it as I watched the coach say it. I wiped the kid??™s blood out of his mouth without gloves in order to speed up the stoppage. I even got blood on my finger and can be seen walking across the mat to the trainer during the match to get it cleaned off on our video, which should be very clear on Cleveland??™s two cameras. The coach has even admitted that things were said that shouldn??™t have and that??™s why he talked to Jeff after the match. What was said is not really of importance but the fact that Ward is attacking Jeff??™s character surely shows his lack of and poor journalistic abilities.

Ok UncleDoug that was one post to many. I was with you till this one. I like Jeff as well as the next guy believe me. Please tell me where in the rule book it states you can not ref a match of a team from the region you are from. I am still waiting where is it. I will wait a little longer. Can not find it can you. I did not think so.

rasslinlight

first read my first post. Than I'll do one better straight form TSSAA's Bylaws. We never brought it up but it is there in Black and White.

Section 16. (a) Officials shall be agreed upon by both schools. (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> These officials must be registered and approved by TSSAA. If a registered official who has been engaged for an athletic contest fails to appear, the principal of the home school may, with the approval of the visiting school, select an official for the contest. If this is done, the principal of the home school must mail to the Executive Director within 48 hours evidence showing that a registered official was employed for the game and that the official did not appear. The principal of the home school shall give the name and address of the registered official who was employed to officiate the game, and the name and address of the non-approved official used as a substitute.

Ok UncleDoug that was one post to many. I was with you till this one. I like Jeff as well as the next guy believe me. Please tell me where in the rule book it states you can not ref a match of a team from the region you are from. I am still waiting where is it. I will wait a little longer. Can not find it can you. I did not think so. One of the refs in that Cleveland match was from Nashville. Yes Nashville and is in the TWHOF with Jeff. Now like I said I like Jeff so do not think I am bashing Jeff when I say when it comes to whining Jeff has perfected it. Just think of how many times Jeff has gone to the table with his arms raised and that look on his face like someone just ran over his prized cow. Now you know that look. Now remember the look on his face when he looks at the fans on his way back from the table to the bench. I know you know what I am talking about we all talk about it everytime we watch Clarksville wrestle. Again I am not bashing Jeff I like Jeff very much. I am just stating the obvious.

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

That is hillarious, I know exactly what your talking about. I don't know if it is a look of having his prized cow run over. That would be a much different look that I have seen and you don't want to. He is usually right anyway.

Sorry I didn't get back with you quick enough. I have a life. As far as proof I'm gonna go with "what he said" Thanks CHSCOACH for the assist. In addition I remember there being a section on there needing to be a non-bias or partial official. I could be wrong but at the very least it seems logical. I'm not going to look for it. I just don't have time. Please endulge yourself.

I'm calling serious BS on that statement Rigger. Just because a couple of clowns on CoachT chime in to agree with your weird chopped up rants, it only adds up to only about .0000000000001%....not 80%.

Wow, you took a survey! I'm sure my % is closer than yours. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Look BB I have no beef with the Bear Clan. It's how I feel and others feel the same way. If you want to make me the whipping boy, so be it. I stated what folks are saying in the other parts of the State.

The Bear Clan are the Kings of D-I wrestling but we humble, bumble bumkins are allowed to state our humble beliefs and others.

I'm sorry you think the rest of the STATE shouldn't have a chance to show case our great sport..

CHS, I appreciate your point of view and it is good to hear both sides. I have a question. You state that"CLarksville has been wanting to do away with the duels for a while"

That statement leads one to believe that this past weekends controversy and criticism are just a part of this decision and not the real crux of why Coach Jordan announced you were no longer hosting. It appears to have been on your collective minds for quite a while and this just was the "straw that broke the camels back."

Is that a fair assessment based on what you posted?

I dont blame you(Clarksville) by the way as the headaches you mentioned that come along with it are very relevant to having to host.

It just seemed there had to be more to it than a simple referee controvesy and minor coaching clash and when one reads your post it appears there was more to it for a period of time preceding this year.

CHS, I appreciate your point of view and it is good to hear both sides. I have a question. You state that"CLarksville has been wanting to do away with the duels for a while"

That statement leads one to believe that this past weekends controversy and criticism are just a part of this decision and not the real crux of why Coach Jordan announced you were no longer hosting. It appears to have been on your collective minds for quite a while and this just was the "straw that broke the camels back."

Is that a fair assessment based on what you posted?

I dont blame you(Clarksville) by the way as the headaches you mentioned that come along with it are very relevant to having to host.

It just seemed there had to be more to it than a simple referee controvesy and minor coaching clash and when one reads your post it appears there was more to it for a period of time preceding this year.

Both Coach Cobb and Coach Jordan have not liked the distraction but both have appreciated the opportunity to spotlight Clarksville, CHS and wrestle at home. It was one of several fundraisers we do (did) and help further wrestling out of the Chattanooga area as well as keep the Duals format that was dying in the 90's. But the straw for me was when Coach Jordan said that he did not want even one person (Coach Eslinger) to be able to really think that Clarksville High had a real advantage in the Duals. He is proud of what his wrestlers have accomplished through hard work in the weight room and in the mat room. Period. He is willling to give up the Duals to show he , and CHS, will give up a plum to "Level the Playing Field. After that I was in on getting out ,and I have been heavily involved since 02 and no kids in the program since 07. Its simple and pure and thats what Coach Jordan wants to have done with the ref situation and the seeding criteria. Simple, pure and above criticism because you have removed all legitimate reason for criticism, i.e. neutrality of officials.

Let me begin by saying I have nothing but respect for Jeff Jordan. I have known him for many years and have nothing but positives to speak of concerning his hard work and success at Franklin and Clarksville. He is a passionate person with the desire to win, which (as proven by Gossett) may somehow be misinterpreted as the desire to establish a home-field advantage. In my experience, he has proven an excellent role model for his kids as well as for any that may have ever turned to him from another program. He is an ambassador for the sport of wrestling and any, who truly know him, can testify that he has put forth tremendous effort and time for nearly three decades into wrestling without any intentions of reaping the grains of success for anyone but those whom he has coached along the way. Therefore, for those that may claim ???to like Jeff as much as the next guy,??? you may want to choose your words a little better. For if you know Jeff like some of us do, an attempt to belittle his integrity, his character, or his cows proves that you are no friend of his. Rather, I would say a more appropriate label would be a deceitful, two-faced, riding the fence kind of person whose loyalty is as feeble as a sheet of paper.

This issue concerning the TSSAA referees was completely summed up by Uncle Doug and the excerpt by CHScoach. If either/ both coaches don??™t agree on the assignment of referees, then they entitled to request another one. Coach Jordan is completely within his rights to speak freely about his frustration with the chosen refs he??™s given (as I recall, he has lobbied for such change on many occasions for many years, but it never seems to take permanent effect outside the meeting room doors). Though I don??™t know if his statement that ???every time we have wrestled a Chattanooga team, we have had a Chattanooga official??? is completely valid, I will vouch that on every occasion I have watched Clarksville wrestle a Chattanooga area team, at least one Chattanooga official has been present on the mat. You would think that if this statement holds some truth to it that it would be immediately denied by all to whom it may pertain. And rather than punishing Coach Jordan for assertions made to the paper, he would be punished for false statements he made in the paper. However, since it has not been denied completely in any blog, post, newspaper article, or by any parties that may be involved in such absurd allegations, I say put an end to any uncertainty Jordan and other coaches may have. There are plenty of refs from all corners and regions of the state. There lies the solution to the problem. Leave no doubt that the refs assigned to ANY duals match have any possible bias or preference one way or another (former wrestler, relative, drinking buddy with the coach, etc.). That way, there will be no room for complaining on either side of line as to whether matches were unfair or not.

Though some may argue that Coach Jordan??™s actions are those of a whiner or a complainer, I believe that these are the actions of a fierce competitor who has explored every possible avenue for establishing a fairly officiated match, but is left with no choice other than to approach the table and contest highly questionable calls/ no-calls. For any that were actually watching the second-round match instead of fretting about Chs having ###### cushions on their chairs, you would be able to see how cleverly Gossett twisted the truth of the match in the complete opposite direction. For instance, there were several blatant stalling calls that were argued by Jordan and his assistants that went unheard by the officials during crucial matches. However, during several other similar instances, Coach Eslinger would argue for the same call and points were given. I am in no way saying that Cleveland is not a good team, for they undoubtedly are; possibly one of the most consistent teams around. Nor am I trying to defame Coach Eslinger, for he certainly has a successful program under his belt. I am simply stating that the cause for emotion in Jordan??™s words and his encouraging actions towards the fans for support did not go un- prompted. Likewise the issues of blood time, Clarksville??™s 160 being blatantly roughed around outside the circle, and even provocative gestures (cut throat signs made from the bench and the loser ???L??? flashed toward the Clarksville crowd) may be enough to support the testimonial that referees need to be neutral in such matches (as they were not, whether consciously or unconsciously, in this match). But if it is not, and if it was in fact completely honest mistakes by the officials, then this issue, once again, needs to be laid to rest

The issue that seems to have attracted the most attention is that which concerns future state duals. State Duals need to be moved. Not because Clarksville is incompetent (which it is on some levels with a small, older gym and somewhat dysfunctional air-conditioning system), or because parking is hectic (which it is), or because CHS wrestlers are given the comfort of home crowd, home mats, or just home (which is invariably the case every year for Chattanooga wrestlers at individuals). No, State Duals must be moved because of a lack of appreciation for all who have helped get the tournament to where it stands today. They need to be moved to a set central location, like MTSU, for the accommodation of all participants. But they also need to be moved to this type of location because hard work too often goes unnoticed. The constant complaining is the straw that has finally broken the camel??™s back for the fine volunteers at Chs. They have worked too hard to haul mats, cook food, and set up clocks/ tables/ etc for ten years to have to face such criticism. So let them pass to a willing inheritor and may God help whomever that may be. For, after all, the grass is always greener on the other side; so let the duals move on to brighter and greener pastures.

What took place at the state duals reveals the Achilles tendon to Tennessee wrestling that has been left unexposed for so long. However, now that its been brought up as this huge out-of line tirade by a ???hate all things chattanooga??? coach, any discrepancy concerning fairness- whether great or small- must be diminished in order for Tennessee wrestling to prosper. I hope that we as adults can overcome our rivalries and differences, reform that which needs reforming, and move on with our lives.

To reiterate my earlier statement: I am not a CHS wrestler, coach, parent, or alumni. I am simply an observer who has remained silent during all of this nonsense and cannot be passive any longer. I am a huge fan of this sport and have been around it nearly my entire life- from participating, to coaching, to supporting those select few that are tough enough call themselves true wrestlers. Coach Jordan has proved true to the test in every aspect. He has dedicated his life to this sport and has produced some of the finest names in wrestling throughout his 25 years of coaching and he has the accolades to prove it. Remember, ???the man who is anybody and who does anything is surely going to be criticized, vilified, and misunderstood. This is part of the penalty for greatness, and every man understands, too, that it is no proof of greatness???- Elbert Hubbard.

I have a son who is a senior wrestler at Independence High school. They have wrestled Clarksville 3 times this year and all 3 times were in Clarksville(the 3rd being the state tourney). Let me say not once did we feel anything but respect and admiration for coach Jordan and never did my wife or I feel like he tried to use unfair home field advantage tactics. We actually sat in the middle of the Clarksville fans for the state match. When we realized we were surrounded by Clarksville fans we almost moved but decided to stay because of the great view. Not once did we feel any wierdness and all we saw were family and friends doing the same thing we were doing--rooting for our team to win!!!

I say shame on the newspaper guy in Chatt for using his paper as a tool to personally attack coach Jordan!! Just another example of mainstream media misusing a platform to communicate a biased agenda!!

I have a son who is a senior wrestler at Independence High school. They have wrestled Clarksville 3 times this year and all 3 times were in Clarksville(the 3rd being the state tourney). Let me say not once did we feel anything but respect and admiration for coach Jordan and never did my wife or I feel like he tried to use unfair home field advantage tactics. We actually sat in the middle of the Clarksville fans for the state match. When we realized we were surrounded by Clarksville fans we almost moved but decided to stay because of the great view. Not once did we feel any wierdness and all we saw were family and friends doing the same thing we were doing--rooting for our team to win!!!

I say shame on the newspaper guy in Chatt for using his paper as a tool to personally attack coach Jordan!! Just another example of mainstream media misusing a platform to communicate a biased agenda!!

"Not once did we feel any wierdness"

Sorry, but that made me chuckle /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />