Oakland is looking for a new coach

hoopsguru12

Randy King announces retirement from Oakland

By TOM KREAGER ??? TKREAGER@DNJ.COM ??? March 18, 2009

Buzz up! Longtime Oakland boys basketball coach Randy King announced his retirement today.

King, 57, retires after spending the past 23 years as Oakland??™s coach. He spent 10 years prior as an assistant at Oakland.

King, who is also retiring as athletic director and math teacher, said he will remain at the school until the end of the school year.

Check back later at dnj.com for more updates.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy King announces retirement from Oakland

By TOM KREAGER ?€? TKREAGER@DNJ.COM ?€? March 18, 2009

Buzz up! Longtime Oakland boys basketball coach Randy King announced his retirement today.

King, 57, retires after spending the past 23 years as Oakland?€™s coach. He spent 10 years prior as an assistant at Oakland.

King, who is also retiring as athletic director and math teacher, said he will remain at the school until the end of the school year.

Check back later at dnj.com for more updates.

No real surprise here. Had heard rumors for a while. Sad to see him go. His replacement has mighty big shoes to fill, but I am very sure they will hire an adequate replacement. Thanks for all the years and many W's he brought to OHS over the years.

I think every Oakland fan knew that eventually, Randy would resign. However, the timing was a suprise to me. However, I think one of the amazing things about Coach is that he spent pretty much his entire career at one school, which is almost unheard of in this day and time. Randy King IS Oakland Basketball, and while he would easily deflect any praise, he is certainly worthy of such status. Consider that Coach King has been a coach at Oakland for 33 of the 38 seasons in its existence, Oakland is charting new territory with whomever they hire next. However, Oakland had success with its other head coaches, and I imagine the same will be forthcoming to whoever takes on the giant task of replacing a Legend.

The most important is Coach King ran his program the right way. Oakland has always had a good reputation in tennessee, big part in the way that Coach King has run his program. Many years there were better, more athletic teams, but nobody ever played harder or more together than an Oakland Patriot team led by Randy King. No 1 player was EVER, EVER above the team, a mantra that Coach reinforced time and time again. With Siegel opening in 2003, it just further reinforced how good Coach King really was, in the 6 seasons after Siegel opened, Oakland managed to win 153 games, with a large part of his roster diverted to Siegel in the seasons after its opening, a further testament to the team concept at Oakland.

In a way, its fitting that Randy goes out now when Oakland is making a transition into a new 7-AAA, after being a part of the old one for its entire existence. Coach is part of a special group of people that dont just make their sport better, but everyone around them in the process. As good of a coach that Randy King was, he was even bettet educator, and human being, and that will be what is missed the most at Oakland High School.

Happy Retirement Coach /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

It's preey easy to associate myself with Oakland's remarks as I as a reader of this site have alway depended on the insight of the post. But as a side note only, Randy King was known as someone who ran his own program and was a straight shooter. We'll see him again, I think, very soon. Something tells me he's not thru yet. He's got more to do.