Div II Favorite

GOAT2000

I would say that DII has put out some pretty good QBs since the inception of the league in 1997. I'm sure I'm leaving someone off but here is a short list:

- Todd Campbell - Father Ryan - Ole Miss

- Richard Moore - MUS - UNC

- Blake Sloan - MBA- Army

- Ingle Martin - MBA -Florida/Furman/KC Chiefs

- Jesse Kellogg - BA -Austin Peay

- Benji Walker - BA - Vanderbilt

- BJ Colemon - McCallie - UT

- Penn Garvich - McCallie - Furman

- Willie Idelette - Baylor - Wake Forest

- Michael Fisher - MBA - Georgia Tech Baseball

- Barry Brunetti - MUS - has a host of SEC Offers

- Luke Colbert - MBA - has college attention

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that DII has put out some pretty good QBs since the inception of the league in 1997. I'm sure I'm leaving someone off but here is a short list:

- Todd Campbell - Father Ryan - Ole Miss

- Richard Moore - MUS - UNC

- Blake Sloan - MBA- Army

- Ingle Martin - MBA -Florida/Furman/KC Chiefs

- Jesse Kellogg - BA -Austin Peay

- Benji Walker - BA - Vanderbilt

- BJ Colemon - McCallie - UT

- Penn Garvich - McCallie - Furman

- Willie Idelette - Baylor - Wake Forest

- Michael Fisher - MBA - Georgia Tech Baseball

- Barry Brunetti - MUS - has a host of SEC Offers

- Luke Colbert - MBA - has college attention

You know what is funny? You left off the Ramsey kid from BGA, he went 14-4 as a starter and had offers from several schools. He had offers from Cincinnatti (Big East Champion), Miami of Ohio (MAC), Arkansas State (Sun Belt), Furman (Southern) MTSU (Sun Belt - Signed with them). All of these teams offered him as a QB. He also had offers as an athlete from UAB, Memphis and Louisville. I think the reason our kids/guys don't get the kind of attention they should is because we don't have many if any of the combines in Tennessee. I know that Brunetti has attended Nike Combines in FL, OH and GA. I know that Ramsey went to GA, AL and OH. Why can't we show case our kids more because we have a lot of talent in Tennessee. Coaches say the combines don't affect who they offer but every kid who is ranked high by Nike, Rivals and Scout usually gets a lot of offers and a lot of attention.

You know what is funny? You left off the Ramsey kid from BGA, he went 14-4 as a starter and had offers from several schools. He had offers from Cincinnatti (Big East Champion), Miami of Ohio (MAC), Arkansas State (Sun Belt), Furman (Southern) MTSU (Sun Belt - Signed with them). All of these teams offered him as a QB. He also had offers as an athlete from UAB, Memphis and Louisville. I think the reason our kids/guys don't get the kind of attention they should is because we don't have many if any of the combines in Tennessee. I know that Brunetti has attended Nike Combines in FL, OH and GA. I know that Ramsey went to GA, AL and OH. Why can't we show case our kids more because we have a lot of talent in Tennessee. Coaches say the combines don't affect who they offer but every kid who is ranked high by Nike, Rivals and Scout usually gets a lot of offers and a lot of attention.

I agree with you FootballDoc. You can't tell me that we don't have players with the potential. I heard the B.J. Coleman news last night. When is the last time a "true" Tennessean started at UT? I don't remember when.

I would guess Todd Helton...wasn't he from Knox Central?

Yes, Knox. Central.

Joey Matthews (Sevier County) started at least one game for UT around the beginning of this decade (2000?).

Andy Kelly (Rhea County) also was an excellent home-grown QB in the late 80s.

prepfan09, Tennessee has to recruit nationally, as this is Tennessee, not Florida, Texas, or California. As such, I doubt we will ever see a lot of state of Tennessee products at QB. However, the state of Tennessee has done a fantastic job of producing quality linemen for UT. To get back to your original question, while I certainly am not speaking from any basis of research, the demographics of this state - largely rural outside of the three/four big cities, predominantly Caucasian - lends itself to the production of more non-skill recruits (the "corn-fed" lineman type, if you will) than the QB/WR/RB types.

Yes, Knox. Central.

Joey Matthews (Sevier County) started at least one game for UT around the beginning of this decade (2000?).

prepfan09, Tennessee has to recruit nationally, as this is Tennessee, not Florida, Texas, or California. As such, I doubt we will ever see a lot of state of Tennessee products at QB. However, the state of Tennessee has done a fantastic job of producing quality linemen for UT. To get back to your original question, while I certainly am not speaking from any basis of research, the demographics of this state - largely rural outside of the three/four big cities, predominantly Caucasian - lends itself to the production of more non-skill recruits (the "corn-fed" lineman type, if you will) than the QB/WR/RB types.

How about the kid at Kentucky from Alcoa I think. And then there were two QBs in the 80's out of Lincoln Co that made it to the pros. One was Jonathan Quinn and the other was????? You also have had the Brentwood kid that went to Kansas and one that went to Florida State I think. Wolke from smyrna went to ND. Sweeney went to Louisville. There have been numerous QB's come out of Tn just not anything notable because most have not been high profile QBs. And Tn does have combines they just arent very well documented and marketed.

How about the kid at Kentucky from Alcoa I think. And then there were two QBs in the 80's out of Lincoln Co that made it to the pros. One was Jonathan Quinn and the other was????? You also have had the Brentwood kid that went to Kansas and one that went to Florida State I think. Wolke from smyrna went to ND. Sweeney went to Louisville. There have been numerous QB's come out of Tn just not anything notable because most have not been high profile QBs. And Tn does have combines they just arent very well documented and marketed.

Kelly Holcomb is the kid from Lincoln County you are thinking of; Quinn went to McGavock.

Ryan is notorious for talking trash the entire game, shoving after the whistle, etc. One of their outside line backers was coached to simply take out the knee of our pulling guards, which they finally got flagged for late in the game. As we were kneeling out the clock, they had kids torpedoing the pile, etc. Even after the game, they did the "**** you" stuff in the line. For a program that hasn't won anything in a while, they sure do hold themselves pretty highly over other schools.

And it wasn't simply the pain of losing, because everyone has trouble losing, but they did the exact same type of bush league stuff the two years before when they won.

i agree completely. Ryan players have always played dirty and are coached to do so. several years ago Mike Barry for BA was blindsided after the whistle by a Ryan backer and when the Ryan player returned to the sidelines he was platted on the back by his coach.

I think he was referencing the fact that without Orleans AND Jefferson, the team really isnt formidable. They had a very good line this year and a back field that might as well have been called the "Wild-Tiger" (I'm a Dolphins fan, get over it lol). When we played them, we had as good a game fundamentaly as we had all year on defense, but those two were dynamic enough to break of a few long runs, etc. But it wasn't because of good blocking or whatever, it was those two making something out of very little. Refering to EHS as not being able to consistently compete is most likely aimed at a yearly basis. They don't seem to have the excess of depth and size that would prelude to them making another run next year. OOD will have a great Sr. season leading into the SEC, but Ensworth will not be a "top tier" team next year.

I do hope they prove me wrong though. Out of anyone we played this year, they were easily the most class act, along with MUS. There wasn't the cocky swagger of BA, or the all in all pathetic tries at BAMF-ness by Father Ryan. They beat us for the region title and simply got in line, said good game, and wished us luck in the playoffs. Regardless of recruiting and what not, Ricky seems to be coaching his team the right way and running that program well, and I would much rather them be the beacon of Middle Tennesse Privates than BA.

what cocky swagger are you talking about?

What high school sport do they not trash talk in? The game of football is played with a lot of emotion and is very physical. You talk about a program that hasnt won anything in a while, they were in the playoffs last season, and were in every game this year. I think that every team holds themselves at a high standard. Lets not get carried away thinking that BGA has become world beaters.

Ryan did not make the playoffs last year.

Yes, Knox. Central.

rollredroll, So you are saying that Caucasians are fitted for the "non-skilled" "corn-fed" positions primarily. I don't like tagging a "race" to potential... (if you will)