umpires needed

sandbagger

Why can't you umpire high school baseball with a 8-5 job? If you are serious about umpiring, you can find games that fit your schedule. Saying you can't do it because of your job is a cop-out to say the least. I do it, so can you.

How do you sign up? Go to your nearest high school, find out when the next baseball game is and attend. Before or after the game (preferably before), find the umpires and ask who their assignor is. Call the assignor and tell he/she that you are interested and follow their directions.

Pretty simple really if you are truly serious about wanting to umpire.

Actually this time of year my job is more along the lines of 8-8 Monday-Friday and every Saturday, hence why I can't umpire high school baseball. Not nearly as time consuming starting in about 10 days. Trust me - I would love to do it I could.

You might want to make sure you know all the facts before you accuse someone of copping out. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me how to sign up. I've always wanted to ump or ref but can't because of my 8-5 job. I can do summers though. I'm serious.

Find a rec league and work your way up is how I did it. Network with other umpires. They'll get you some gigs. Our local youth league pays $25 a game for the little guys and more on the big bases. That's probably low end for umpiring, but it helps you establish your self. Study up on rotations for 2 man, 3 man and 4 man crews. Even at the youth league level you can make $50 a night during the week after work and another $100 or so on Saturdays. High school age games should be closer to $40 or $50 bucks a game and they're usually doubleheaders.

Where do you want me to start? There are good umpires but there's also a shortage of them. If an association has to send guys 50 miles one way to call a game, he's got to leave work early, pay for his gas and his meal and get raked over the coals by the fans to boot. They aren't making money in the deal or not a lot of it. By comparision, they can wait until travel ball season and call a weekend tournament and make $400 or $500 easy. Guys are going to softball because it's the same money in an hour and a half. There's lots of reasons.

I started the process to get my TSSAA certification and found that there weren't any opportunities that didn't require me to leave work early. There's practically no weekend games which astounds me, and you have to show up at 3:30 or 4:00 to call a game. Counting drive time, I'd have to leave the office right after lunch for some of these games. Lot's of umpires just wait for summer ball. That's what I did. I can call during the week after work plus a weekend of rec league games or a travel tournament that doesn't require me to drive back and forth or miss work and I'll make more money with less headache.

I believe your explanation has a lot of merit. Not sure how to address the issues there.

Actually this time of year my job is more along the lines of 8-8 Monday-Friday and every Saturday, hence why I can't umpire high school baseball. Not nearly as time consuming starting in about 10 days. Trust me - I would love to do it I could.

You might want to make sure you know all the facts before you accuse someone of copping out. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You might want to post all your facts and not add them after the fact.

I stand by my statement that if you want to bad enough, you can umpire.

You might want to post all your facts and not add them after the fact.

I stand by my statement that if you want to bad enough, you can umpire.

Tell my bosses that for me. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Plus, I really didn't realize that I was going to be chastized for commenting that I would like to umpire but my day job keeps me from it.

Are you as smug on the diamond as you appear online?

Tell my bosses that for me. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Plus, I really didn't realize that I was going to be chastized for commenting that I would like to umpire but my day job keeps me from it.

Are you as smug on the diamond as you appear online?

SOL the one poster was right you might want to start in some rec ball stuff their games start around 6 and you get double headers and then they also have weekend games so go to your local rec park and talk to an umpire they can get you cnnected with the assigner

SOL the one poster was right you might want to start in some rec ball stuff their games start around 6 and you get double headers and then they also have weekend games so go to your local rec park and talk to an umpire they can get you cnnected with the assigner

Well.........there is another way to look at it. If high school coaches would play their games in the evening rather than in the afternoon, they'd have a larger pool of umpires to draw from and they'd make more money. Play it like football and basketball do at a time more convenient for everyone.

Well.........there is another way to look at it. If high school coaches would play their games in the evening rather than in the afternoon, they'd have a larger pool of umpires to draw from and they'd make more money. Play it like football and basketball do at a time more convenient for everyone.

thats a great idea except for one thing: every ballpark in tn would have to have lights and most baseball programs cant afford them.

thats a great idea except for one thing: every ballpark in tn would have to have lights and most baseball programs cant afford them.

You are looking at between 12 and 15 thousand per pole. Not the whole field, per pole depending on how good a lighting job you want to have for the field. Not happening in most places. Some schools have gone to co-op situations with summer leagues to get it paid for, but then you are open to problems of another sort altogether.