Elizabethton vs. Chuckey -Doak

coachh17

I can understand disqualifying the offenders in the case for the playoffs, but why punish the rest of the team who was innocent? From what I can tell 5 players actions have cost their team a chance at postseason play. Kick the 5 players off the teams and let the rest of the team play it out. If the TSSAA plans on setting a precedent with this ruling then they should ban ALL teams in ALL sports that have an incident of fighting during an athletic contest.

Just my Opinion sorry to interrupt! haha

The appeal takes place today at 11:00 in Maryville. If they overturn the appeal, then CDHS will play SGHS at home on Wed and EHS will take on UH. The winners will face each other on Friday for the championship. If the ruling stands, then UH and SG will face off for the championship on Thursday at UH at 6:30.

I have to agree to some what about punishing the whole team. Why should the 'good' players suffer for those who were involved? Make them set out during the tournament.

As a coach I have stake in this decision, but like to look at all aspects of it.

Heard that one of CDHS's players who was involved got his 2nd red card the other night versus Daniel Boone, so he is out the rest of the season anyway.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree to some what about punishing the whole team. Why should the 'good' players suffer for those who were involved? Make them set out during the tournament.

A couple of years ago Riverdale was preparing for the playoffs when they found out the back-up goalie had been playing in a rec league. Cost the whole team postseason play. It's unfortunate to the players that did nothing wrong, but I don't see them overturning this.

A couple of years ago Riverdale was preparing for the playoffs when they found out the back-up goalie had been playing in a rec league. Cost the whole team postseason play. It's unfortunate to the players that did nothing wrong, but I don't see them overturning this.

Same thing happened a few years ago with softball...players were playing in town leagues, whole team suffered because they had to forfeit...

If tssaa overrules their decision, will we ever be able to believe them for anything again? Why make a decision and not stick by it? ..just a thought...

No it wasn't and I am sorry I said. It just seems like you guys are blaming refs. Ya they probley did let it get out of control and shame on them for that! However, If a ref attempts to phically break up a fight by placing his hands on a minor he becomes liable. What if in the process of shoving back a player or seperating them you shoved player trips, break arm??? Who is responsble now? By the way I am not a soccer ref, know nothing about the rules, but have been involed in other sports where fights have broke out. All you can do is blow your whistle, take out your pad and begin writing numbers.

"Was that constructive?"

I'm not really a soccer fan, nor do I know that much about it...I was however at this game. I told my wife after we had been there for 5 minutes that if the ref's didn't start handing out some yellow cards that "punches were going to be thrown". SO, yes, I place a lot of blame on the officials. Most of you on these boards, and certainly those involved in the T$$AA have played some form of high school athletics. There is lots of testosterone pumping and when these guys felt like they weren't being protected (by the officials) some of them tried to take matters into their own hands. I'm not condoning it, but I certainly understand. Those making this decision have obviously climbed upon a VERY "high-horse".

Granted, this is a self-discipline issue on both sides, and I think you have to hold the coaches responsible for that to a certain extent. When a player's temper starts to flair the coach has the responsibility to pull him out of there and get him "cooled off" before things get out of control. The OFFICIALS and the COACHES are the adults on the field.

As to the "punishment" handed down by T$$AA...taking away the post-season from ANY group of seniors is incomprehensible to me. Each of these boys who received the red cards have paid their debt...they sat out the games that they were suspended. What about the guys who had nothing to do with this, why we are suddenly pushing them as well? Again, most of you know how important post-season is for you particularly as a senior, I find it to be just cruel. A $1K fine?? That seems ridiculous to me as well. I doubt there is a soccer team in Northeast TN that takes that much in at the gate during any player??™s entire high school career let alone a season.

The Johnson City Press is reporting that the TSSAA heard the appeal, reduced the fines to $500, placed each school on probation for a year, and WILL ALLOW both teams to play in the post-season!!!!!! Wow, a rare reversal by the TSSAA and in my opinion, a good decision!

The Johnson City Press is reporting that the TSSAA heard the appeal, reduced the fines to $500, placed each school on probation for a year, and WILL ALLOW both teams to play in the post-season!!!!!! Wow, a rare reversal by the TSSAA and in my opinion, a good decision!

It sounds like cooler heads prevailed in the end....and TSSAA still got their point across. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

The Johnson City Press is reporting that the TSSAA heard the appeal,

Elizabethton, Chuckey-Doak can play soccer

By Douglas Fritz

Press Sports Writer

dfritz@johnsoncitypress.com

For many years, the TSSAA has been known in Northeast Tennessee circles for doing the wrong thing.

Tuesday morning in Maryville, the organization that governs athletics in the state did the right thing.

And that means soccer players from Chuckey-Doak and Elizabethton can play ball.

After the TSSAA pulled the plug on the two teams last week because of an April 21 fight that caused their game to be stopped with 36 minutes remaining, the schools joined forces for an appeal.

TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter, assistants Bernard Childress and Mark Reeves, and three members of the Board of Control heard the appeal.

Carter and company listened to representatives from the schools, and decided to reinstate the Cyclones and Black Knights for the District 1-A/AA tournament. Each school??™s $1,000 fine was reduced to $500, and both will remain on probation for one year.

???We??™re very appreciative for what they did,??? said Cyclones athletic director Mike Wilson. ???We just wanted our kids to have a chance to play. Obviously we??™re glad they reduced the fine, but if there had only been a fine or probation we probably would not have appealed.???

There was speculation the TSSAA would do little more than hear the appeal, and rubber stamp their own decision. But Carter showed without a doubt the appeal process is real.

Questions were asked during the appeal by Carter and company, and Wilson said he left the meeting believing the TSSAA had listened to what he and Chuckey-Doak principal George Frye -??“ and others ??“ had to say.

???They did listen obviously,??? said Wilson. ???It wasn??™t an open-and-shut deal.???

All of the school personnel left the meeting, and were notified of the TSSAA decision by cell phone. When they got the good news, they had go into scramble mode to get the schedule in place for the tournament.

Elizabethton will play host to University High in one semifinal Thursday at 6 p.m. The other semifinal will have South Greene traveling to play Doak at 5:30 p.m.

Thursday??™s winners will meet Friday for the championship. Doak, the regular season champion, will host that game if it beats South Greene.

Cyclones head coach Bill McClay said he??™s just happy to have a shot at the postseason.

???The biggest thing is it??™s good for our kids, especially the seniors,??? said McClay. ???To be playing in the postseason, that??™s what we were mainly after with the appeal. I??™m pretty happy about it.???

Wilson said he believes there were three areas of success in the appeal.

???We knew about fights in other sports where the teams were still allowed to participate in the district,??? said Wilson. ???But Ronnie Carter flat out told me the biggest problem was our game wasn??™t finished.

???One of the most important parts of our appeal was that everyone in authority did not agree the game had to be stopped. The Chuckey-Doak coach and the Elizabethton coach did not agree the game had to be stopped. And I was never consulted on whether the game needed to be stopped. When the referee told me the game was stopped, I didn??™t argue. But I didn??™t know it would lead to these kind of ramifications.???

Another issue was the involvement of the police, who were actually not involved in stopping the fight.

???They filed no police report,??? said Wilson. ???When they arrived, the police radioed back that school officials had the situation under control.

???The officials didn??™t stop the fight, the coaches didn??™t stop the fight, the parents didn??™t stop the fight, and I didn??™t stop the fight. The kids themselves stopped the fight.???

Wilson said the schools also focused on the harshness of the punishment, especially for Elizabethton??™s eight seniors and Chuckey-Doak??™s seven seniors.

???A penalty should not be indiscriminate, it should be targeted,??? said Wilson. ???It was unfair to be so harsh on the entire team.???

The bottom line is the TSSAA fixed the issue by reducing the severity of the penalty, and the kids get to play

Elizabethton, Chuckey-Doak can play soccer

By Douglas Fritz

Press Sports Writer

dfritz@johnsoncitypress.com

For many years, the TSSAA has been known in Northeast Tennessee circles for doing the wrong thing.

Tuesday morning in Maryville, the organization that governs athletics in the state did the right thing.

And that means soccer players from Chuckey-Doak and Elizabethton can play ball.

After the TSSAA pulled the plug on the two teams last week because of an April 21 fight that caused their game to be stopped with 36 minutes remaining, the schools joined forces for an appeal.

TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter, assistants Bernard Childress and Mark Reeves, and three members of the Board of Control heard the appeal.

Carter and company listened to representatives from the schools, and decided to reinstate the Cyclones and Black Knights for the District 1-A/AA tournament. Each school??™s $1,000 fine was reduced to $500, and both will remain on probation for one year.

???We??™re very appreciative for what they did,??? said Cyclones athletic director Mike Wilson. ???We just wanted our kids to have a chance to play. Obviously we??™re glad they reduced the fine, but if there had only been a fine or probation we probably would not have appealed.???

There was speculation the TSSAA would do little more than hear the appeal, and rubber stamp their own decision. But Carter showed without a doubt the appeal process is real.

Questions were asked during the appeal by Carter and company, and Wilson said he left the meeting believing the TSSAA had listened to what he and Chuckey-Doak principal George Frye -??“ and others ??“ had to say.

???They did listen obviously,??? said Wilson. ???It wasn??™t an open-and-shut deal.???

All of the school personnel left the meeting, and were notified of the TSSAA decision by cell phone. When they got the good news, they had go into scramble mode to get the schedule in place for the tournament.

Elizabethton will play host to University High in one semifinal Thursday at 6 p.m. The other semifinal will have South Greene traveling to play Doak at 5:30 p.m.

Thursday??™s winners will meet Friday for the championship. Doak, the regular season champion, will host that game if it beats South Greene.

Cyclones head coach Bill McClay said he??™s just happy to have a shot at the postseason.

???The biggest thing is it??™s good for our kids, especially the seniors,??? said McClay. ???To be playing in the postseason, that??™s what we were mainly after with the appeal. I??™m pretty happy about it.???

Wilson said he believes there were three areas of success in the appeal.

???We knew about fights in other sports where the teams were still allowed to participate in the district,??? said Wilson. ???But Ronnie Carter flat out told me the biggest problem was our game wasn??™t finished.

???One of the most important parts of our appeal was that everyone in authority did not agree the game had to be stopped. The Chuckey-Doak coach and the Elizabethton coach did not agree the game had to be stopped. And I was never consulted on whether the game needed to be stopped. When the referee told me the game was stopped, I didn??™t argue. But I didn??™t know it would lead to these kind of ramifications.???

Another issue was the involvement of the police, who were actually not involved in stopping the fight.

???They filed no police report,??? said Wilson. ???When they arrived, the police radioed back that school officials had the situation under control.

???The officials didn??™t stop the fight, the coaches didn??™t stop the fight, the parents didn??™t stop the fight, and I didn??™t stop the fight. The kids themselves stopped the fight.???

Wilson said the schools also focused on the harshness of the punishment, especially for Elizabethton??™s eight seniors and Chuckey-Doak??™s seven seniors.

???A penalty should not be indiscriminate, it should be targeted,??? said Wilson. ???It was unfair to be so harsh on the entire team.???

The bottom line is the TSSAA fixed the issue by reducing the severity of the penalty, and the kids get to play

Kudos to the TSSAA for correcting what was obviously a bad initial ruling. Although I'm not a big TSSAA fan, I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. I would have bet the farm that the appeal would be a fruitless effort, but I was wrong...

Guess I will never understand governing bodies. TSSAA's reversal, while I am glad the players are going to get to play, seems typical of sports organizations.

Based on posts, teams have been banned in the past from post season play based on one player violating the rules (playing in rec leagues etc.). That should have presented precedents. However, from what I am reading, with only four teams in that division, the absence of two teams would have screwed the bracket. What makes this reversal acceptable and not the others that are posted here?

These organizations should have proper hearings BEFORE making decisions and not spouting off and then becoming reactionary to those that scream the loudest.

I have seen it happen on the competitive side where the State makes a ruling and then someone threatens a lawyer and gets the decision reversed, only to have the same ruling applied the next year on another team or club.

Yeah, I'm still bitter (LOL) that my son has to sit out two games (the same number as the boxing culprits in this match) because he put his hands on a player who stumbled on the way to goal. (Impeding a clear path). It wasn't flagrant, it wasn't malicious...but it was intentional. My son politely took the red-card (since he knows the rule), walked off the field and even shook the refs hand at the end of the game. His coach tells me the ruling was changed in January but doesn't go into effect until this fall during the girls HS season!

SO, he could have clocked the guy and cursed the ref on the way off and still missed the same amount of games....silly. Lessons learned: Don't get a red card!

Good luck to all in the post-season.