Greatest Rivalries in Tennessee?

92Dragon

How about in '86 when MJ played at Gallatin. With only a few seconds left Gallatin gave up the safety, then MJ kicked a 52 yard FG to win the game.

Seems like I remember a 2-0 final in the early 80s. MJ tried to run an option out of their endzone and fumbled and Gallatin got the safety. 81 maybe?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about in '86 when MJ played at Gallatin. With only a few seconds left Gallatin gave up the safety, then MJ kicked a 52 yard FG to win the game.

8 secs left and it was a 45 yarder...I was on the 35 when he kicked it....devastating!!

The 2-0 game was 80'. Gallatin and Mt Juliet were ranked #1 and #2 in the state. There were 10,000 people there to see that game.

When Oak Ridge gets back to normal OR/Maryville will be a heck of a rivalry. Currently, and based on past history, OR/DB is the best rivalry. They have continually beat up on eachother over the years. If Alcoa would beat Maryville from time to time that one would be up there as well.

I also think MBA/BA has to be along side the OR/DB rivalry also.

Alcoa has been the only team other than Hillsboro to be able to compete with Maryville. You got a 2A team with 60 players giving a 4A team with 90 players all it can handle. OR hasnt been at the same level as Alcoa or Maryville in years. What other game in Tennessee birngs in 12,000+ on a yearly basis including people from all over the Southeast?

Alcoa has been the only team other than Hillsboro to be able to compete with Maryville. You got a 2A team with 60 players giving a 4A team with 90 players all it can handle. OR hasnt been at the same level as Alcoa or Maryville in years. What other game in Tennessee birngs in 12,000+ on a yearly basis including people from all over the Southeast?

Like I said...when OR gets back to normal, and they will, OR/Maryville is going to be the best rivalry. You're absolutely right, Alcoa does give Maryville all they can handle, but they never win.

On another subject, how is Alcoa going to fare against Bell Co,KY?

Alcoa should take care of Bell Co. BC has a good team but like APB said, Alcoa will have more speed and strength than any team Bell saw last year in their 15-0 season. This will be Alcoa's 1st game after a long hard summer and they will be ready to get a chance to hit some new colors. Bell Co. like to run the ball, a lot. So the D-Line to set the tone early with Kerr, Burchfield, McGlothlin at DT and Robinson and Warren at DE.

My only concern with Bell Co. is if the same KY officials that worked the Hopkinsville game a few years ago show up. Alcoa is nothing like anything anyone in So Kentucky has ever seen. Too big, too fast and too deep. The F5 rolls easily.

When is OR going to get back to 'normal' and do not get mad, what is 'normal'?

Well, normal for OR is making a deep run in the playoffs every year. By deep run, I mean past the second round on a consistant basis.

Didn't Alcoa wax Hopkinsville when they played? What was the score?