Greatest Rivalries in Tennessee?

92Dragon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta give props to the Patriots though 04, they keep showing up year after year! Will it EVER happen? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I'm afraid it will happen eventually. The past couple of years have been nail biters. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

OK, 40-0 might be just a bit onesided to constitute a "great" rivalry IMO lol! Who is the 40 and who is the 0?

Tennessee High is 40-0 against the Sullivan East Patriots. They've played every year since 1969. The schools are only 7 miles apart via Weaver Pike. TN High was suspended from the playoffs in 1999 and Tennessee High technically had to forfeit so another team could make the playoffs, that team was Sullivan East. Tennessee, however, beat the Patriots on the field that year by a score of 46-0. Even the Patriot players don't consider that a "win."

Gallatin vs. Mt Juliet. Glad to have the game mean something to both teams again. Mt. J will carry a student body with almost 400 more students and they were a 4-A team last year. Both teams return tons of talent this year shouldn't be anything but a great game and a packed house. In the 80's this game would pack 9000 on a Friday night. The parks dept would have to bring bleachers over from the baseball fields and put in the endzones.

Gallatin vs. Mt Juliet. Glad to have the game mean something to both teams again. Mt. J will carry a student body with almost 400 more students and they were a 4-A team last year. Both teams return tons of talent this year shouldn't be anything but a great game and a packed house. In the 80's this game would pack 9000 on a Friday night. The parks dept would have to bring bleachers over from the baseball fields and put in the endzones.

Sounds like a great atmosphere! I did attend one Gallatin game, the 1991 state championship. That one had a great atmosphere as well!

You are correct. The MJ - Gallatin games of the late 70s and early 80s were the biggest. I played for MJ and we couldn't seem to beat you back then. In 79 we had ya'll 21 - 0 at the half and gallatin came back and beat us 24 - 21 in overtime.

Back then only the top team went to the playoffs and Gallatin knocked us out every year. Those were the days !

You are correct. The MJ - Gallatin games of the late 70s and early 80s were the biggest. I played for MJ and we couldn't seem to beat you back then. In 79 we had ya'll 21 - 0 at the half and gallatin came back and beat us 24 - 21 in overtime.

Back then only the top team went to the playoffs and Gallatin knocked us out every year. Those were the days !

Those were huge games back then.

I think since Mt Juliet got placed back with Gallatin that those games are gonna be huge again. But right now Hendersonville is the biggest hate game of the year. Almost 60 years worth of hate.

Other big ones in the state that stand out: BA vs MBA, Maryville vs Alcoa, Coffee Co vs Tullahoma, Oakland vs Riverdale, White House vs Portland, Marion Co vs South Pitt, Milan vs Huntingdon vs Martin Westview, I am sure I have left out a few big ones but those are in the top ten.

How about in '86 when MJ played at Gallatin. With only a few seconds left Gallatin gave up the safety, then MJ kicked a 52 yard FG to win the game.

Red Bank-Soddy gets a lot of publicity around Chattanooga. In fact, in a series of years in the 80s, no parents were allowed at the RB-SD football games because they always fought each other.

Don't forget about the Red Bank coach getting arrested on the sidelines. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Alcoa vs Maryville is by far the best in Tn. This year at Goddard Field, the rebs who are a year removed from a 4 peat will take on the F5 Tornado who is the only team to ever win 5 straight. what other rivalry has 9 gold balls in the past 5 years? This game may not have region implications, but it more than makes up for that with bragging rights,pride,and bad blood. No other game pulls 10,000+ every year. These 2 schools would do a better job filling Neyland Stadium than the vols in recent years.

Alcoa vs Maryville is by far the best in Tn. This year at Goddard Field, the rebs who are a year removed from a 4 peat will take on the F5 Tornado who is the only team to ever win 5 straight. what other rivalry has 9 gold balls in the past 5 years? This game may not have region implications, but it more than makes up for that with bragging rights,pride,and bad blood. No other game pulls 10,000+ every year. These 2 schools would do a better job filling Neyland Stadium than the vols in recent years.

When Oak Ridge gets back to normal OR/Maryville will be a heck of a rivalry. Currently, and based on past history, OR/DB is the best rivalry. They have continually beat up on eachother over the years. If Alcoa would beat Maryville from time to time that one would be up there as well.

I also think MBA/BA has to be along side the OR/DB rivalry also.