11AA

ksgovols

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big fan of several of the kids and coaches at Harpeth but can't understand how they could expect to win ball games without being able to control their attitudes. Some, and by no means all, of these young men have been told their poop don't stink all their life by their parents so they just expect to walk out on the field and do things their own way rather than listen to the coaching that is being provided them. Is Doug Loope the next Vince Lombardi? No, of course not. But I can assure you that he, and several veteran coaches on his staff aren't teaching these kids to be little cry baby punks when they take the field. It was easy to see that they are talented enough to beat a team like East Robertson, but they had in the neighborhood of 6 personal foul penalties that shows a lack a discipline and understanding. Can they not see that when the penalties add up like that it can cost them the game. The problem is if the coaches try to coach and instill in these kids the fundamental things that could make these kids young men and winners on the field of play, it might be grueling or uncool and the child would likely run home to mom and dad and degrade the coach. At some point mommy and daddy need to stand behind the coach and understand that a high school coach wants their student-athletes to be as good or better than the parent does because their record is reflected by it. No coach would intentionally steer a kid in the wrong because that kid on their team is a direct reflection of the coach and his staff. Unfortunately, in that area of the world dead goats are thrown on the lawns of coaches and in other sports if a group of kids does wrong, one must be the sacraficial lamb while the other wrong doers and their parents maintain that their sweet little Johnny would never do such a thing. (hmmm hmmm, baseball team) And then the coach is to blame because the parents must find someone to blame besides their self for their poor child rearing... Or maybe the best way is to have the parents jump in on their children's business and start fights with the opposing baseball team or storm the court after a basketball coach because you don't agree with a strategic decision made. From the time Marshall Winkler and Coach Brown left, that football program has gotten what the community deserves, not the children. The kids don't realize that they are being stripped of valuable life lessons and work ethic because when the going gets tough they can just cry about it and there are no consequences. Or they can just yell at the officials or cheap shot the opposing team and pick up costly penalties and continue to struggle for success. I wish the student-athletes the very best, especially those who work hard with their nose to the ground day in and day out. Your parents should be proud and I am sure they are, but they are not as noticable because they aren't having to make excuses for you in the stands... e.g. Jacob Connatser, Zac Douglas, Andrew McWright, Travis Tice, Seagraves, etc... I'm rooting for all you guys regardless and hope when you start to turn thing around you see the correlation between hard work and positive attitudes and winning.

I agree truth. At some point personal accountability comes into play and you have to accept the consequences of your actions. East Robertson wasn't a bunch of choir boys in this but you have to be smart enough not to take the bait. Value the hard earned yardage on that football field and don't give it away for your own selfish self interests. You can't be a Moma joke or a grab butt away from losing your composure on any given play. Man up and play the game between the lines within the rules and represent yourself, your school and your family in a manner that you can be proud of.

I suggested 100 yards of sprints for every yard of selfish penalties. Condition yourself mentally or physically. Your choice.

I am a big fan of several of the kids and coaches at Harpeth but can't understand how they could expect to win ball games without being able to control their attitudes. Some, and by no means all, of these young men have been told their poop don't stink all their life by their parents so they just expect to walk out on the field and do things their own way rather than listen to the coaching that is being provided them. Is Doug Loope the next Vince Lombardi? No, of course not. But I can assure you that he, and several veteran coaches on his staff aren't teaching these kids to be little cry baby punks when they take the field. It was easy to see that they are talented enough to beat a team like East Robertson, but they had in the neighborhood of 6 personal foul penalties that shows a lack a discipline and understanding. Can they not see that when the penalties add up like that it can cost them the game. The problem is if the coaches try to coach and instill in these kids the fundamental things that could make these kids young men and winners on the field of play, it might be grueling or uncool and the child would likely run home to mom and dad and degrade the coach. At some point mommy and daddy need to stand behind the coach and understand that a high school coach wants their student-athletes to be as good or better than the parent does because their record is reflected by it. No coach would intentionally steer a kid in the wrong because that kid on their team is a direct reflection of the coach and his staff. Unfortunately, in that area of the world dead goats are thrown on the lawns of coaches and in other sports if a group of kids does wrong, one must be the sacraficial lamb while the other wrong doers and their parents maintain that their sweet little Johnny would never do such a thing. (hmmm hmmm, baseball team) And then the coach is to blame because the parents must find someone to blame besides their self for their poor child rearing... Or maybe the best way is to have the parents jump in on their children's business and start fights with the opposing baseball team or storm the court after a basketball coach because you don't agree with a strategic decision made. From the time Marshall Winkler and Coach Brown left, that football program has gotten what the community deserves, not the children. The kids don't realize that they are being stripped of valuable life lessons and work ethic because when the going gets tough they can just cry about it and there are no consequences. Or they can just yell at the officials or cheap shot the opposing team and pick up costly penalties and continue to struggle for success. I wish the student-athletes the very best, especially those who work hard with their nose to the ground day in and day out. Your parents should be proud and I am sure they are, but they are not as noticable because they aren't having to make excuses for you in the stands... e.g. Jacob Connatser, Zac Douglas, Andrew McWright, Travis Tice, Seagraves, etc... I'm rooting for all you guys regardless and hope when you start to turn thing around you see the correlation between hard work and positive attitudes and winning.

;)

Cheatham has all of the respect in the world for Creek Wood as well guys. It is always a fun night to play those guys. Coach Daniel has Cheatham ties that extend 30+ years. His father Charlie and his uncle Bennie both coached at Cheatham. Bennie's 1984 squad was a very memorable football team in Ashland City. Coach Daniel is a great coach who does a lot of good things for his kids and they play hard for him and more importantly they play clean and respectful ball. For this reason I have always had a great deal of repect for the coaches at the Wood. Coach Daniel, Coach Parker, Coach Clapper, Coach Tomlinson, etc. are all great coaches. In the past they have had great coaches in Coach Bledsoe, Coach Jones, and Coach Hatley (now at Cheatham). Best wishes to the Wood from one Cubs fan and can't wait to see them play in person come week ten ;)

Harpeth's schedule was not the easiest and it's going to continue for a few weeks to come. They play Creek Wood, Fairview, & Jo Byrns still this season. I do not expect them to win any of those games but I do wish them the best of luck.

With that said however I do think that the Indians will be favored in their games against Cheatham, Stewart, Waverly, & Montgomery Central. If they can take those games then they would be a state playoff team at the end of the season at 5-5 overall (4-2 in the district).

Creek Wood appears to be on a real mission this year following last year's disaster. They are playing with a lot of effort and toughness. The district title is within their reach and we all know that would be a huge feat for a school that opened just 6 years ago (2003). I am going to pick the Red Hawks to come out on top in this one!

Creek Wood: 35

Harpeth: 14

Amen Brother!

;):blush:

District 11-AA Standings

1.) Camden Lions: 4-0 overall (1-0 in district)

2.) Stewart County Rebels: 3-0 overall (1-0 in district)

3.) Creek Wood Red Hawks: 3-1 overall (1-0 in district)

4.) Montgomery Central Indians: 2-1 overall (0-0 in district)

5.) Waverly Tigers: 2-2 overall (0-1 in district)

6.) Harpeth Indians: 1-2 overall (0-1 in district)

7.) Cheatham County Cubs: 0-4 overall (0-1 in district)

This Week's Schedule

Harpeth at Creek Wood

Camden at Stewart County

Cheatham County at Montgomery Central

Parsons Riverside at Waverly

I agree truth. At some point personal accountability comes into play and you have to accept the consequences of your actions. East Robertson wasn't a bunch of choir boys in this but you have to be smart enough not to take the bait. Value the hard earned yardage on that football field and don't give it away for your own selfish self interests. You can't be a Moma joke or a grab butt away from losing your composure on any given play. Man up and play the game between the lines within the rules and represent yourself, your school and your family in a manner that you can be proud of.

I suggested 100 yards of sprints for every yard of selfish penalties. Condition yourself mentally or physically. Your choice.

ks,

I think the word you need to use starts with a D ends in a E and has 10 letters. :justwrestle: