District 4a This Year

Now Now Children lets calm down!

I've thought about what kicks said and have got to rethink some of my statements.

As an outsider I've got to say nobody cared much for Coalfield Girl's Basketball prior to coach Hines coming in. She has made them a good program. Some things went wrong with this group, but that's probably due to everyone thinking they should easily get to a state tourney or win championships. Lets look at how this team was put together. Coalfield kids playing for a Coalfield team no recruiting or transfer players that swing the balance. Things for the most part look like they are being done correctly and with ethics down that way.

Celebrate that or the fact her kids graduate don't argue on her in a debate that may never end. Morgan Co. is lucky to have the people working with our girl's like Snow, Davis, Hines, and Johnson. In reality if you removed any of them you would likely be left with a replacement that falls short of those currently holding the positions.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely get on Coacht Message board but I would like to give a little imput on part of this post that deals with coaches. 95% of the time the more talented team wins is true in the NBA and in College D1. One of the main reasons is that coaches at that level study all the time and read each others books and for the most part their practices are designed the same way. The difference is usually the motivation of the coaches, attitute of the team (which can reflect the coach) and recruiting (management NBA) is the most important other factor. Offensive system can mean a lot too.

In high school recruting and front office player management does not come into play. Nor have players reached their potential because most have not been trained and worked properly because many high school coaches set up multiple defenses and offenses and forget to spend enough time on learning how to shoot and then shoot a ton in practice, learn ball handling and rebounding and defensive skills. The thing that impresses me most about McMinn Central is not their size and talent. They usually have one D1 player and a few small college players. But how many of those small college players would never have become that good if their coach did not drill them and only went over plays in practice and never taught them to get into a stance and play defense or learn footwork properly, and shoot a ton in practice? A lot of coaches teach that stuff but then spend 80% of practice running over their different systems and they run each player through the plays equally even if that player never plays in a varsity game etc. Coaching means a lot although talent is also important in high school.

bigshow,

The point is if you have 2 coaches 1 is a good coach and the other is Extremely good. Both drill and work with their kids and the teams play 10 times even though one coach is clearly better than the other the winner of those games 9/10 times is the coach with more talent on the depth chart. District 4A has 3 really good coaches and 1 or 2 ok ones. One of the ok coaches can win the dist if they have superior talent. Coaching can handle many things but there is only so much that you can do to improve athleticism, height, etc. It's just like if you have two equal players one is 5'9 and the other is 6'9 9/10 times 6'9 is going to win out! It's just how sports works. Too much is made of coaching! I believe all our 4A coaches are good enough to win a tourney given the talent to do so.

CFJF96, What......! :roflol: Last time I checked, your Lady Jackets were riding solo in first place! No coach is going to get the results they want every time when all their eggs are riding on a 13 to 17 year old young lady. Tournament Play is about getting hot at the right time.....some coaches peak or flame out entering tournament play. As I recall, Coalfield's Team over the last couple of years came into the district tournament on a losing streak....and sometimes those things can be almost impossible to overcome. (players blaming each other, parents undermining the coaching, desencention among teammates, or get this......boy problems! :roflol: ) Fundamentals and talent and defensive intesity and offensive framework are all determining factors in a teams success or failure. From what I saw the other night, your girls played well because your coach managed the game in front of her. Trust me, some nights it won't matter what button she pushes. Her success or failure in the tournament is going to be determined by the players each year....IMO....she gives them every opportunity to succeed!

And don't even get me started on the Christopher vs. Jordan Discussion.........it's not even a contest! :roflol:

Kazaniter

Back to basketball,

Our girls are struggling right now. Oneida has been playing some people close but hasn't been able to get over the hump. Our only win as of now came to the knoxville ambassadors by 7. Honestly we have some problems but I have faith in the program that the team will come out better for this.

On the coalfield soap opera I can say that they looked to be 15 points better than they played against us. There are some questionable calls from the bench especially with the sub patterns, but I could've been spoiled the last few years with West calling the shots.

Knight 2, do you still have wartburg in 5th spot? I thought that was a curious pick, but thought that sunbright might beat them the other night. From what I've heard the game was only competitive until the half.

I think Oakdale is playing very well now also. They really looked good at times against us. We may be just a little too young to have a great regular season but may still do damage in the tournaments.

And Talent wins games if all other things are equal. Which I feel they are in most situations.

It appears Oneida has many more problems than youth. Shortcomings are becoming very evident and not just on the floor however; there seems to no quit in the most of the players. Coalfield is simply better, but Oakdale very easily could of been a win. Again, I say the senority system of starting time and playing time is not working. It is not a case of experience since after two particular juniors no one has much experience. CDM and assistants are working as hard as they can, so better things hopefully will happen.

OMG. freshkicks I got news for you I have a co-worker who's daughter had to do extra work and that did not start until the week after the drama (as you call her)kid quit so that's a lie you just told if she wasn't on the team how can you say she did'nt do the work. And as far as a player when she played she was one of the best so everyone thinks that a joke. I have a question if her step father made a fool out of his self for taking up for his daughter how do you think this has made you look. HIs problem was with the coach not everybody at the school now who is playing the drama queen. This forum is not about coalfield its suppose to be about B Ball who cares what you think especially what your saying is lies on the most part. Oh about the voting it did happen my co-worker says she knows of three girls that went home upset how canyou all let that happen? I have never liked coalfield but please don't try to sell your story on this forum. They do have good ball players and they will come out on top but if you have a problem with the kid parents go to them not here is'nt that what he just done and now you all are trying to get him in trouble he should do the same to you all for taking up for the coach

Indianoutlaw I still have not seen them play but for them to beat Sunbright that will move them up to 4th I thought Sunbright might beat them but like you said what I heard it was not a close game after half time. Sunbright still will be in the chase if they learn how to win the big games they have a good team this year.

Next question I also heard that the Coalfield- OZ game was alot closer than the score showed is that true Coalfield has the best team in the district this year and the best player in Jordan but it is a long season and from past years they seem to play worse as the season goes so we will see.

Oakdale still waiting for them to break out Coach Snow should have his team playing better every week

Wartburg big win at Sunbright should be a big game Friday with Coalfield coming in.

Oneida still have not seen should improve toward end of season.

Jellico I was told they are not very good.

OZ will be better toward end of year this is not normal for the OZ fans waiting for them to start complaining for the coach not winning even with a young team. :lol:

I agree Oldschool, and she has a supporting cast that works well together. The thing about Fountain is that even though she may be the best player in 4A she has no flash to her game or selfishness at all. She is one of those rare players that while she gets some attention from the media etc her fellow players still look at her as one of the girls.

I really like this Wartburg team. They will get some needed testing Friday and in the Christmas Tourney. I believe win or lose in those games the team will be better prepared for the after Christmas push once they have played the likes of Coal, Loudon, Cloudland, and Cumberland Gap.

Last night at Harriman I thought our girls handled a quick and athletic Harriman team largely because they stuck with each other and played through some mistakes that would kill most teams. Congrats the bench players as well. They played the first 4 or 5 minutes of the 4th quarter and simply wore Harriman out and gave our starters a much needed rest.

I must say coalfield is playing well this year their strongest players jordan elsea & hamby all great players for wartburg fountain and bunch not sure bout the other teams on another note i would like to say great job to miss kortie on the athem it just gets better every time she has a beautifull voice lets go lady jackets should get a win at wartburg friday will be a good game may be close coalfield can succeed if they play team ball like they have been this season lets hope all the rumors and drama dies down so the girls can have an enjoyable season !!!!!! :|:thumb: