Ensworth vs. MBA

TrackRunner4291

As an enthusiastic high school football fan, I have read these boards for quite some time. I figured it was time to actually be able to comment, so here goes.

As a neutral (in this particular game) fan who has seen both teams play this year, I want to point out some things I have noticed about both teams.

MBA

-Decent size, good speed, loads of power running coming from Lassing(In my opinion changed the pace of the Maplewood game.)

-Decent passing game. When I say decent, I mean decent. Tanner #4 appears to be a heck of a wide receiver, and Colbert has a good arm, but Colbert is very indecisive in the pocket. I saw him get sacked on a few occasions, one being a two point conversion attempt, in which he could have thrown the ball much earlier, or atleast gotten it away to avoid the sack. With the right amount of pressure, you take Colbert out of the game. Another thing I noticed is mostly hitch routes and screen passes. These have worked well, but I would expect that Bowers knows where these passes are going.

Ensworth

-Good Size in the trenches, especially with #74. He is a monster. I would put my money on Fitz Lassing running through most nose guards in TN, but Richardson is not one of them.

-Decent Speed. The running game is the most important aspect of Ensworth's game. Darkwa hits the hole fast, and drives his feet till usually about 3-4 guys can manage to slow him down.

-Decent passing game. I could almost copy/paste what I said about Colbert/MBA's passing and put it about Tollison/EHS passing game. I have seen Tollison hold the ball too long, make bad decisions, and lack vision through the middle of the field. Also, I do not believe Ensworth has a standout receiver that MBA has in Tanner.

So, for my Final Verdict:

MBA is forced to pass, Colbert has too much size coming at him to get the ball off. Ensworth stays with the run, and one of the best running backs in the state puts up numbers similar to last years meeting. It will be close, too very similar teams, but Ricky Bowers seems to control the game better than anyone.

I go with Ensworth in this one.

EHS-26

MBA-19

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe your analysis is right on the mark. Darkwa is the type of back that gives MBA the most difficulty (as proven last year). Lassing is a unique back that requires a lot of defensive focus. Both quarterbacks are inexperienced but are good athletes (Colbert will be a 3 year varsity basketball player this year). I would have proposed that the kicking game might be the difference. Lassing punted last year very well and his 66 yarder (with a ton of roll) against Maplewood really changed the field position. Fletcher could make the difference but every snap has been an adventure this year. Colbert has played the magician just trying to get the ball in place. Does MBA have any type of home field advantage? I'm not sure. The students continue to be unorganized as they cheer (or don't cheer) for their team. The parents are for the most part just spectators with only a rare organized effort. It's too bad - that could be a real advantage. Anyone who feels confident in their pick for this one should help me pick out Powerball numbers. I believe the game may come down to less than a few key plays - I doubt this will be a grind it out victory for either side.

Is it just me or are the Ensworth fans quite on this board as compared to last year.

This board as a whole has gotten quieter because so many of the Div II supporters have gotten tired of trashtalking between children, or the constant groundless accusations that recruiting is epidemic among Div II (always was, always will be, in their eyes. The BA people, who were some of the most insightful and classy posters, are almost completely gone.

I haven't seen much from EHSParent (I think that was the name), whose posts were always worth reading.

Hopefully they'll return, and there'll be some good football discussions.

I am no expert, but one would expect that they(EHS) are fairly confident going into the game, considering they won last year. I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, but if you are implying that the reason they are being quiet this year is because they are scared of losing, I would direct you to the box score of the Oakland game. It appears the Tigers aren't a cupcake team this year. I doubt they are worried. Then again, MBA is no cupcake either, which is why I am so excited for this game. Keep it to football, with less attacks on personal and school matters.

Glad you realize now. No way would I act that way about another team....I'm not not that way and would never think anyone was scared to play us. Ensworth is a very fine and talented team. There was alot of discussion last year by more schools and posters. Was just curious about where everyone was.

Ahh, I retract my words. I read KWoodroof's reply, and realized you were actually curious about that. I interpreted it as you just being a smart ####. My bad.

I am no expert, but one would expect that they(EHS) are fairly confident going into the game, considering they won last year. I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, but if you are implying that the reason they are being quiet this year is because they are scared of losing, I would direct you to the box score of the Oakland game. It appears the Tigers aren't a cupcake team this year. I doubt they are worried. Then again, MBA is no cupcake either, which is why I am so excited for this game. Keep it to football, with less attacks on personal and school matters.

I think if you're picking favorites right now, you go with Ensworth. All things being equal, this is a game that would benefit MBA by being played late in the year. I think the biggest issue Ensworth will face is depth. They have outstanding athletes who are very well coached, but they have a limited number of boys in the school. I was kinda hoping they'd be playing overtimes with Oakland until tomorrow afternoon. They've had a week to rest, where MBA had anything but a restful week, and MBA has picked up a couple of injuries.

Ensworth should control most of this game. They have to many more athletes than MBA. They have many players that have grown up quite fast to become big time players.

But what makes ensworth the big time favorite is the Ensworth D. They lost one starter in their D. having 10 returning starters on your D makes them a definite top 5 D in the state. They also replaced the player with a better player and spread their speed out.

MBA will only stay in this game if they can hold Ensworth to 7 points but can any team in the nation hold Ensworth or Orleans to 0 points? We saw what he did with the 99 and 80 yard TD's on a better MBA D from last year. Who knows what he will do this time.

EHS - 34

MBA - 6

Thought this board was too quite. This sounds more like last years board. And so the talk begins.

Ensworth should control most of this game. They have to many more athletes than MBA. They have many players that have grown up quite fast to become big time players.

But what makes ensworth the big time favorite is the Ensworth D. They lost one starter in their D. having 10 returning starters on your D makes them a definite top 5 D in the state. They also replaced the player with a better player and spread their speed out.

MBA will only stay in this game if they can hold Ensworth to 7 points but can any team in the nation hold Ensworth or Orleans to 0 points? We saw what he did with the 99 and 80 yard TD's on a better MBA D from last year. Who knows what he will do this time.

EHS - 34

MBA - 6

This is why I always try to reread posts a few times first. As you now know the other fan was in no way doing school or personal attacks. Just commenting on how quiet this board has been. Last year it got alittle out of control.