West vs Maryville

Rebelfan06

FBE:

I entered this thread to wish Maryville good luck Friday against West. However, I read your posts as well as those previously by Grey Rider and others claiming Alcoa's "cake walk" schedule. In fact, Grey Rider described Alcoa's schedule in another thread as a schedule so weak it was like "wet tissue paper". Although I respect your opinion, I also feel you are looking at Alcoa's schedule with a very "rose colored" point of view. In fact, it is so clouded by Maryville glory that you cannot see the historical weaklness of Maryville's schedule. Therefore, using the Grey Rider "wet paper" schedule scale, I offer the following comparison of both Alcoa and Maryville's schedules over the last four or five years. Let's take a look at the Rebels schedule first:

The "Wet Tissue" schedule:

1. South Doyle: Possibly the worst 5A team in East Tennessee.

2. Clinton: Yes, they are good this year. But an absolute doormat in the past four of five years. Just won first season opener in 12 seasons! So bad in past seasons, MHS strarted the JV team to avoid embarssing a incredibly poor and undermanned team. I was there.

3. William Blount: With exception of two seasons, this game is historically a yawner for MHS. Scores in the range of 39-3, 39-14, etc come to mind with the JV playing most of the second half. WB's biggest claim to fame is an innovative OL/DL training manual entitled "Firrre offff the Balll!" Followed up this number one hit seller with "Hittt Somebody". I hope they can keep a coach a finally build a consistent program. To my WB friends (assuming I have any following this post), I am just having fun! :roflol:

4. Heritage: What can I say? Another game that MHS has dominated with the Reb JV playing nearly half of each game. Combined with WB above they have won a awe inspiring 2 out of 20 games in the last year. WB training manuals refrenced above have been tossed out by former Reb great Brandon Waters and it appears they may be on the path to being competitive. For the sake of Blount County football, let's hope so.

5. Lenior City: Another JV scrimmage for the Rebs.

The "somewhat competitive" schedule:

1. West: Great skill players. Marginal trench warriors in the past. Always fights hard, but folds the tent on schedule for the mighty Rebs.

2. Halls: Big, mean and slowwwwwww. Another team that fights hard for two quarters and then folds to the genius of GQ.

3. Powell: Another historically big, slow team sans one great QB a few years ago. Big D1 level OL/DLs not matched with equally deep and talented skill players.

The real competitors:

1. Alcoa: Yes, you have won the last eight years. But, in case you have failed to notice, the spread has been closing slowly since the 2005 beat down administered by the Rebs. Alcoa returned the favor last Friday night. Funny, FBE mentions that our last score was piling on. Using that criteria, how would you (FBE) describe Maryville's last TD tallying the final 42 points in 2005? Looks quite the same situation to me. JV teams playing the closing minutes and getting their chance to play in the big one!

2. Central: Once a great power that fought MHS to the wire. Slowly sliding away since Helton's boy left.

3. Morristown West: The only team to beat MHS other than Alcoa and Hillsboro since 2003. Suffering from the "Central" disease since Coach Woods joined brother Sparky at VMI.

Now, let's compare my Tornadoes:

The "Wet Tissue" teams:

1. Wartburg Central: Need I say more? Would not be competitive in 1A.

2. Oliver Springs: You could combine teams with Wartburg and still not be competitive in 1A. May have stolen a copy the WB OL/DL training manual referenced above.

3. Spring Hill: 3A schedule filler since WB and Heritage refuse to play us. Good looking players. Could not line up.

4. Booker T. Washington: Another schedule filler due to WB and Heritage schjedule losses. Great looking players, looked like DII college team on the field. Unfortunately, poor coaching and 11 players in different time zones on the same field doomed this program. GQ or Rankin either one could take these players and make a run on State.

5. Rockwood: Good ole country boys that try real hard. Still using WB OL/DL training manual "Firrrre off the Balll" and the follow-on hit "Hittt Somebody".

The "somewhat" competitive schedule:

1. Sweetwater: Once a great program. Good skill players, limited by average to less then average coaching.

On the edge:

2. Loudon: Normally big and fast. Play hard nosed until two-way players wear down in the third quarter.

The real "Competitors":

1. CAK: Very well coached and well prepared. Pin point passing game always gives Alcoa fits. Slowly closing the gap as well.

2. White House: 3A State Runner-Up last year. Big, fast, and mean.

3. Fulton: Tremendous talent and coaching. Our hotel suite mates during previous SC trips. Now, a key 4A challenge for the Tornadoes.

4. Maryville: Nuff said.

This year, we have played or will play the defending undefeated 2008 4A KY state champion, the TN 2008 4A State Runner-up Maryville, the currently #1 4A team, Fulton. Not mention current top 10 3A teams CAK, McMinn Central and Howard (see today's Knox News Sentinel for confirmation). Not to mention that we scrimmaged and soundly beat the current 6A #1 team Farragut.

To be fair, MHS has an equally challenging schedule this year with #1 Alcoa, #1 Farragut, Oak Ridge, #2 Catholic and Bearden.

As one can see, it appears that both programs have enjoyed the benefit of similar "cake walk" schedules to get to the playoffs and win the SC in their respective classifications.

Lastly, my support and best wishes to Maryville against West. My score: Rebs: 34 Fake Rebs: 14

:popcorneater:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FBE:

I entered this thread to wish Maryville good luck Friday against West. However, I read your posts as well as those previously by Grey Rider and others claiming Alcoa's "cake walk" schedule. In fact, Grey Rider described Alcoa's schedule in another thread as a schedule so weak it was like "wet tissue paper". Although I respect your opinion, I also feel you are looking at Alcoa's schedule with a very "rose colored" point of view. In fact, it is so clouded by Maryville glory that you cannot see the historical weaklness of Maryville's schedule. Therefore, using the Grey Rider "wet paper" schedule scale, I offer the following comparison of both Alcoa and Maryville's schedules over the last four or five years. Let's take a look at the Rebels schedule first:

The "Wet Tissue" schedule:

1. South Doyle: Possibly the worst 5A team in East Tennessee.

2. Clinton: Yes, they are good this year. But an absolute doormat in the past four of five years. Just won first season opener in 12 seasons! So bad in past seasons, MHS strarted the JV team to avoid embarssing a incredibly poor and undermanned team. I was there.

3. William Blount: With exception of two seasons, this game is historically a yawner for MHS. Scores in the range of 39-3, 39-14, etc come to mind with the JV playing most of the second half. WB's biggest claim to fame is an innovative OL/DL training manual entitled "Firrre offff the Balll!" Followed up this number one hit seller with "Hittt Somebody". I hope they can keep a coach a finally build a consistent program. To my WB friends (assuming I have any following this post), I am just having fun! :bored:

4. Heritage: What can I say? Another game that MHS has dominated with the Reb JV playing nearly half of each game. Combined with WB above they have won a awe inspiring 2 out of 20 games in the last year. WB training manuals refrenced above have been tossed out by former Reb great Brandon Waters and it appears they may be on the path to being competitive. For the sake of Blount County football, let's hope so.

5. Lenior City: Another JV scrimmage for the Rebs.

The "somewhat competitive" schedule:

1. West: Great skill players. Marginal trench warriors in the past. Always fights hard, but folds the tent on schedule for the mighty Rebs.

2. Halls: Big, mean and slowwwwwww. Another team that fights hard for two quarters and then folds to the genius of GQ.

3. Powell: Another historically big, slow team sans one great QB a few years ago. Big D1 level OL/DLs not matched with equally deep and talented skill players.

The real competitors:

1. Alcoa: Yes, you have won the last eight years. But, in case you have failed to notice, the spread has been closing slowly since the 2005 beat down administered by the Rebs. Alcoa returned the favor last Friday night. Funny, FBE mentions that our last score was piling on. Using that criteria, how would you (FBE) describe Maryville's last TD tallying the final 42 points in 2005? Looks quite the same situation to me. JV teams playing the closing minutes and getting their chance to play in the big one!

2. Central: Once a great power that fought MHS to the wire. Slowly sliding away since Helton's boy left.

3. Morristown West: The only team to beat MHS other than Alcoa and Hillsboro since 2003. Suffering from the "Central" disease since Coach Woods joined brother Sparky at VMI.

Now, let's compare my Tornadoes:

The "Wet Tissue" teams:

1. Wartburg Central: Need I say more? Would not be competitive in 1A.

2. Oliver Springs: You could combine teams with Wartburg and still not be competitive in 1A. May have stolen a copy the WB OL/DL training manual referenced above.

3. Spring Hill: 3A schedule filler since WB and Heritage refuse to play us. Good looking players. Could not line up.

4. Booker T. Washington: Another schedule filler due to WB and Heritage schjedule losses. Great looking players, looked like DII college team on the field. Unfortunately, poor coaching and 11 players in different time zones on the same field doomed this program. GQ or Rankin either one could take these players and make a run on State.

5. Rockwood: Good ole country boys that try real hard. Still using WB OL/DL training manual "Firrrre off the Balll" and the follow-on hit "Hittt Somebody".

The "somewhat" competitive schedule:

1. Sweetwater: Once a great program. Good skill players, limited by average to less then average coaching.

On the edge:

2. Loudon: Normally big and fast. Play hard nosed until two-way players wear down in the third quarter.

The real "Competitors":

1. CAK: Very well coached and well prepared. Pin point passing game always gives Alcoa fits. Slowly closing the gap as well.

2. White House: 3A State Runner-Up last year. Big, fast, and mean.

3. Fulton: Tremendous talent and coaching. Our hotel suite mates during previous SC trips. Now, a key 4A challenge for the Tornadoes.

4. Maryville: Nuff said.

This year, we have played or will play the defending undefeated 2008 4A KY state champion, the TN 2008 4A State Runner-up Maryville, the currently #1 4A team, Fulton. Not mention current top 10 3A teams CAK, McMinn Central and Howard (see today's Knox News Sentinel for confirmation). Not to mention that we scrimmaged and soundly beat the current 6A #1 team Farragut.

To be fair, MHS has an equally challenging schedule this year with #1 Alcoa, #1 Farragut, Oak Ridge, #2 Catholic and Bearden.

As one can see, it appears that both programs have enjoyed the benefit of similar "cake walk" schedules to get to the playoffs and win the SC in their respective classifications.

Lastly, my support and best wishes to Maryville against West. My score: Rebs: 34 Fake Rebs: 14

:motorbike:

Scots50,

First off, I am still your friend, all though you seem to be openly questioning some of our coaching techniques. :bored: I cannot argue that WB has not been real competitive against the Rebels most of the time, but I do disagree that we should be put in the same catagory as Heritage. And I mean no disrepect to the Mountaineers but facts are facts ... I can go back the last 8 years and yes, you are right last year the two teams combined for 2 wins. But overall in that 8 year span, WB has won 42 games compared to Heritage's 13 wins. Blount has been to the playoffs 6 of those 8 years, Heritage has no play-off appearances. Head to head, Blount is 8-0 vs Heritage in the past 8 years, outscoring the Mountaineers 291 - 48. Who knows what might happen this season? I'm proud of how Heritage is playing and wish them the best. But I'm not ready yet to lump them and WB in the same "wet tissue" category. JMHO!