Oak Ridge vs. Halls

boyfromsi

I recently read an article were Julian was talking about Dowdy hopefully returning to play... Is KJ looking for an escape goat for this terrible season? Sure Coffman is weak as a qb but there would be no big difference if or when Dowdy returns. I think most intelligent people from Halls know what will be happening very very soon. ;)

OR 42

Halls 3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently read an article were Julian was talking about Dowdy hopefully returning to play... Is KJ looking for an escape goat for this terrible season? Sure Coffman is weak as a qb but there would be no big difference if or when Dowdy returns. I think most intelligent people from Halls know what will be happening very very soon. :motorbike:

OR 42

Halls 3

I don't think the QB situation is the problem. Thats why I agree with you on Dowdy coming back will help a little but not a whole lot. Overall, Coffman has done remarkably well under the circumstances. Who would have done any better with the hand that been dealt? My humble opinion is the system is broke the passing game is superior to the running game at the moment and that isn't how Halls works.

Is Julian in trouble? I know last year Halls "had the best team in school history" according to some and finished with a horrible record. I don't think they have a win this year. Is change a foregone conclusion?

Thats a bitter pill to swallow for a proud program with a strong history of winning

Coach Julian isn't in trouble. It would be hard to find better. A Titans coach of the week two years ago hasn't lost his way. He had very good position players and a strong OL & DL.

Halls fans over hyped a average team last year and it has gotten worse since. This year we all knew it was going to be like UT under Kiffin a unknown entity. The kids are doing their best the defense has played well up untill last week. The offense focusing on the running game has flopped.

I have a question for the Halls fans from an outsider perspective. The OC is taking a lot of heat for the struggles with the wing-T on offense. But it seems to me that it's the same thing that Coach Fulmer and Randy Sanders had going on. Randy took all the heat, but he was running exactly what his boss told him to run. Isn't Williams doing just exactly what KJ wants him to do? Or are they as a staff just not doing a good job coaching the system. I know there are some good coaches on that staff. What's the deal?

I have a question for the Halls fans from an outsider perspective. The OC is taking a lot of heat for the struggles with the wing-T on offense. But it seems to me that it's the same thing that Coach Fulmer and Randy Sanders had going on. Randy took all the heat, but he was running exactly what his boss told him to run. Isn't Williams doing just exactly what KJ wants him to do? Or are they as a staff just not doing a good job coaching the system. I know there are some good coaches on that staff. What's the deal?

I don't think there's any question that KJ prefers the wing T. If I'm not mistaken, that's the offense that was run when he was an assistant at a Roane County school. Unlike some folks, I actually like the wing T, IF it's run correctly. Like PowerSweep said in the Halls vs. Webb thread, Halls doesn't run the wing T correctly, because the backs don't trust that the holes will be there and hit them quickly. Rather, they wait for the hole to develop and to eyeball some running space. I firmly believe they are taught this, despite some protestations to the contrary from a coaching apologist on here. They're also taught or perhaps not discouraged from trying to outrun the defense around the end much like the little league teams do as the kids are growing up. With assignment defense that's extremely easy to defend if the defense has any speed at all.

Webb does run the wing T right and so did Catholic until this year. Wesley Kitts ran it right two years ago (although to be fair, he was a truly gifted, strong and fast RB who was severely underappreciated when he was at Halls. Nevertheless, he hit the hole hard. Whether that was coaching or just natural understanding, I don't know. I do know that we had a different OC then). True, the wing T is more difficult to pass out of and that's a detriment.

I'd be interested to know if the current OC ran the wing T when he was an assistant at Clinton. I just can't remember.

We played Clinton when he was there with Catlett. They did not run the wing-T at Clinton. I think the true wing T relies more on deception and misdirection in the backfield than just the counter and power play that Halls runs out of it. I think you're right, they line up in the wing-T formation, but they are not using all the principles that make that system work.

Not very much to say about this game except that it's homecoming for Oak Ridge. I have never been a fan of the wing-t just to throw it out there. I can't remember the last true wing t team that won a state championship. Its not fun to watch and after so many years it now seems easy to prepare for unlike when it first came out several years ago. I'm sure Coach Julian will have his guys ready for Oak Ridge though. He played them when he was a player and still must remember those days. Good luck to all.

Hey CATVOICE, remember when we played Hendersonville Commandos at Blankenship? They ran that thing to perfection. We never did figure out who had the ball. I believe we had AP at quarterback that night and had to come from behind to get the win if I remember correctly. I did enjoy watching Hendersonville's version of the wing-T, that was fun.

Diver,

Kitts was underrated at Halls. His thunder thighs and low center of gravity and burst of speed made holes even when there was just a glimmer of a opening. He could dish out punishment when someone was about to tackle him. The runningbacks that have followed aren't built that way. Not a knock on them but it was easy to see the fall off last year and this in the running department. What we have this year is a smaller line but a better passing QB. It really doesn't take rocket science to analyse our weakness. We have some outstanding athletes but in the present system it just doesn't work. As I have said before next year things will need to addressed on offense in relation to the athletes we have if not it will continue to erode. You have to take your best assets and build a gameplan with them. If they aren't hitting the hole with confidence and like to dance the battle is lost before we begin. Halls is primarily a running team and if that isn't working we aint going to win.