Maryville at Farragut

FBEmeritus

I am unfortunately stuck in D.C. for the next couple of weeks, so I listened to the game on the internet on WFIV 105.3. They do a great job and are very unbiased. They are very professional and refer to the teams as Farragut and Maryville and not us and them. This is what all high school broadcast teams should try to emulate. It could have been a college or pro broadcast. I like the play by play guy just as much as that Bearden grad on the Sports Animal.

I also heard this game on the Farragut station and was impressed with their professionalism. Great game Maryville Rebels!!! Hope to see you play Farragut again in the playoffs.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how exactly did I say they cheated?

So like I said... where did I say they cheated? Last I cheated I am not Kanye West...It'd be nice if you could quote me on it, instead of making a terrible looking picture... Just don't become those DB fans.. They just read things how they want then to "prove" I said something they change the quote... So when you actually find where I said.. that Maryville cheated it would be nice.

I probably lumped you in with the other children from Fagarutt posting about Maryville cheating, and you may not have just came out and said that Maryville cheated yourself, but you had a couple posts in this thread were you more or less said that MHS got undue "preferential" treatment from the refs. And if you understood analogies you would have realized that I didn't post that you said we cheated.

Are we really still talking about this cheating issue that some of the FHS fans have stuck in their crawl.? My God man , MARYVILLE PLAYED ya'll @ home with your KFL refs. Your discipline broke down , you were up by 17 and your coaches expected MARYVILLE to just acquiesce , all the while they were coaching and thinking of how they could keep from loosing the game. I have seen it too many times. I am on record as saying that MARYVILLE would win because FHS did not have the discipline to beat them.

The difference between Maryville and many other teams is simple. When Maryville has a lead the kids are calm and belive they will win. When Maryville is behind the kids are calm and belive they will win.

Realing off 28 vs. FHS and Cath after being down is proof of my thoughts.

MHS wears them down, makes adjustments and never lets the thought of losing enter their minds.

I think this win proves Maryville can play with the so called "Big boy's"

Any one doubt it? WB Next! Go Reb's

Are we really still talking about this cheating issue that some of the FHS fans have stuck in their crawl.? My God man , MARYVILLE PLAYED ya'll @ home with your KFL refs. Your discipline broke down , you were up by 17 and your coaches expected MARYVILLE to just acquiesce , all the while they were coaching and thinking of how they could keep from loosing the game. I have seen it too many times. I am on record as saying that MARYVILLE would win because FHS did not have the discipline to beat them.

I was never on it to begin with.. All I said was the 2 "controversial" calls whether the right call or not went Maryville's way.. Farragut should have never blown the 17pt lead. I said that from the beginning.

The difference between Maryville and many other teams is simple. When Maryville has a lead the kids are calm and belive they will win. When Maryville is behind the kids are calm and belive they will win.

MHS wears them down, makes adjustments and never lets the thought of losing enter their minds.

This post sums up a lot of my thoughts on this great game.

I meant to get on the T all weekend just to get caught up on some talk from the game, but when I finally logged in this morning I was absolutely floored to see all the whining that had gone on. After a week of good chatter between the two fan bases, and then after an INCREDIBLE high school football game, that's the reaction? We're better than that on both sides...

Maryville never ceases to amaze me with their composure. It's impressive enough that the coaches can keep their calm in the midst of the storm the Admirals threw our way Friday night, but for 15-18 year old kids to continually do it week after week and year after year speaks volumes of the character and commitment of the young men and also of the culture instilled in them by their leaders, coaches, role models and by those who have worn the Red and Black before them. This is something that anyone should be able to respect.

I agree that Farragut should have stuck to the run. I also agree that GQ was just being his old self with the perfectly timed "trick" plays. I disagree with anyone who asserts that this game came down to officiating. While I was in no position to argue the "catch" in the 3rd by Van Dyne, I can say that I was about 20 feet away and in perfect view of the "block in the back" and while it was a close call it was the right call. Further, it is not a given that the Ads get points on that possession even if it was not called.

I was also surprised to hear all the Farragut talk about Maryville getting the breaks. First of all, cheating? Really? Even IF (and that's a contentious "IF") Maryville got ALL of the calls, how is that cheating by the Rebels? Is the assertion that MHS paid off the officials? And if that's what you actually believe, how old are you and/or do you live in a dimly lit space with random photos/rantings/and other paraphernalia associated with conspiracy theorists stapled/taped/glued and otherwise fastened eerily to your walls resulting in a makeshift wallpaper of dissociation from reality? That's just silly.

Second, where I was sitting, surrounded solely by Maryville folks, all of the talk was about the play clock. I'm not up on the rules enough to know how that all works but at least a few folks were saying that the ball seemed to consistently get placed and the clock started more quickly when the Rebs were on offense. I'm not asserting that to be true, just putting it out there for any comments/insight anyone might have. Also, I do know that the clock had been at zero long enough for someone else to notice, yell about it, and then for me to look and see it myself, before looking back to see that the ball had still not been snapped by Farragut on a play in the first half that resulted in a touchdown. Also, I thought that the first uncalled pass interference on (I think) Maryville's second possession of the first half when the RB out of the backfield had nothing but space and opportunity in front of him but was held by the Farragut linebacker could have had just as much if not more potential to affect the outcome of the game as the Van Dyne 3Q catch. Just saying that some big things could have been different, but weren't...and as a Rebel fan I'm pleased, obviously, with the outcome and thrilled to have seen such a great game.

Thoughts on Farragut:

- VERY good team

- Purdy is a GREAT back

- QB is very, very good...great poise, runs the offense well, tough competitor, nice passer

- Van Dyne is a great receiver

- O-line is very good as well

Way to go Rebels. Congrats on District! Keep rolling...

This post sums up a lot of my thoughts on this great game.

VERY good post papa chaos. This was a great game between two very talented teams; the score could have gone either way. Cudos to those Maryville kids keeping their composure and for the coaching staff who made the necessary adjustments. Looking forward to the next Maryville/Farragut game.

I meant to get on the T all weekend just to get caught up on some talk from the game, but when I finally logged in this morning I was absolutely floored to see all the whining that had gone on. After a week of good chatter between the two fan bases, and then after an INCREDIBLE high school football game, that's the reaction? We're better than that on both sides...

Maryville never ceases to amaze me with their composure. It's impressive enough that the coaches can keep their calm in the midst of the storm the Admirals threw our way Friday night, but for 15-18 year old kids to continually do it week after week and year after year speaks volumes of the character and commitment of the young men and also of the culture instilled in them by their leaders, coaches, role models and by those who have worn the Red and Black before them. This is something that anyone should be able to respect.

I agree that Farragut should have stuck to the run. I also agree that GQ was just being his old self with the perfectly timed "trick" plays. I disagree with anyone who asserts that this game came down to officiating. While I was in no position to argue the "catch" in the 3rd by Van Dyne, I can say that I was about 20 feet away and in perfect view of the "block in the back" and while it was a close call it was the right call. Further, it is not a given that the Ads get points on that possession even if it was not called.

I was also surprised to hear all the Farragut talk about Maryville getting the breaks. First of all, cheating? Really? Even IF (and that's a contentious "IF") Maryville got ALL of the calls, how is that cheating by the Rebels? Is the assertion that MHS paid off the officials? And if that's what you actually believe, how old are you and/or do you live in a dimly lit space with random photos/rantings/and other paraphernalia associated with conspiracy theorists stapled/taped/glued and otherwise fastened eerily to your walls resulting in a makeshift wallpaper of dissociation from reality? That's just silly.

Second, where I was sitting, surrounded solely by Maryville folks, all of the talk was about the play clock. I'm not up on the rules enough to know how that all works but at least a few folks were saying that the ball seemed to consistently get placed and the clock started more quickly when the Rebs were on offense. I'm not asserting that to be true, just putting it out there for any comments/insight anyone might have. Also, I do know that the clock had been at zero long enough for someone else to notice, yell about it, and then for me to look and see it myself, before looking back to see that the ball had still not been snapped by Farragut on a play in the first half that resulted in a touchdown. Also, I thought that the first uncalled pass interference on (I think) Maryville's second possession of the first half when the RB out of the backfield had nothing but space and opportunity in front of him but was held by the Farragut linebacker could have had just as much if not more potential to affect the outcome of the game as the Van Dyne 3Q catch. Just saying that some big things could have been different, but weren't...and as a Rebel fan I'm pleased, obviously, with the outcome and thrilled to have seen such a great game.

Thoughts on Farragut:

- VERY good team

- Purdy is a GREAT back

- QB is very, very good...great poise, runs the offense well, tough competitor, nice passer

- Van Dyne is a great receiver

- O-line is very good as well

Way to go Rebels. Congrats on District! Keep rolling...

As I said before, Papa is one of the best at making his point.

This was a great game from my view, even though this was one of the ones I had to miss.

The first district champ represents well what HS Football is all about. Nothing can change that, not even a few sore or first losers.

WB Next and see you there.

Unfortunately, I missed this game, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching the replay. It was, as expected, an exciting and highly entertaining high school contest. I was impressed, as always, with Maryville's composure and ability to capitalize on opportunities. Farragut is very good too. Hopefully, for his sake and Farragut's, the RB, Purty, isn't too dinged up going forward. Both have a chance to go far in the playoffs, but of course, only 1 can. Congratulations to Maryville on a huge win and to Farragut on a great effort!

After watching the replay on charter main street tonight

1. the block in the back call was very close, could make an argument either way

2. while an absolutely amazing effort it was in no way a catch the ball was trapped under the receiver as they slid along the ground, it was very obvious from the replay camera angle.

3. the 2 blown calls I saw were the pass interference call on FHS that did not lead to points but kept a drive alive and the phantom facemask call on MHS that did lead to FHS pulling within a field-goal , but FHS probably would have scored anyway they had already picked up a 1st down on the play.

4. the biggest difference I saw tonight on the TV was that FHS was sucking wind in the 4th qtr. big time.

MHS appeared to be in way better shape.

That Maryville vs Farragut game will go down as one of my favorite games ever. Me,Pepvol and other friends had to sit around the Farragut fans because Maryville fans had the visitors side taken up by 6:30.

When Farragut jumped ahead 24-7 all we heard was how Farragut was so superior to Maryville. We heard that Maryville is playing the BIG BOYS now. Maryville hid in 4A all these years. We knew Maryville wasn't that good. After Maryville scored 28 straight points to take a 35-24 lead the talk went from Maryville is no good to how they have the refs in their hip pocket and recruit all of East Tennessee.

I am so proud of those Maryville players and coaches. Philip Juhlin is a warrior. He has turned out to be a great quarterback. Buddy Jones continues to run very hard. Offensive line gets better and better. Receivers are stepping up. Stian Romberg is Tyler Gaskin made over. Dez Horne continues to impress. How bout Clarence Langley? Without him Maryville may not beat Catholic and Farragut. Defense is getting better. Lee Bristol has turned out to be a great corner. Glad to see Kody Harris upstage big brother.

Kudos to Farragut. That is one of the better offensive teams I ever seen Maryville go against.