Big Games in Memphis ... Week 9

kwc

I agree with onefortheteam. Should be a great matchup. I think with the Tigers being off this week and especially since they moved the game to Millington I will attend this game also. Maybe we can sit together onefortheteam. Doug, you providing the popcorn?

Where is the best place to park over there?

unlike in Arlington if you Guys come see me at the 50 yard line seat b31 I will make sure you get your popcorn, its on me. ^_^

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with MarkH's scores.

I have alot of respect for Craigmont and what the coaching staff has done over there. I knew that once coach V had been there for a while he would get it turned around. Good job coach. But I am a Homer.

BlackHavenSenator no disrespect last week but the upsat almost came true.

FIGHT TROJANS FIGHT

NEVER GIVE UP

Fair enough, but like a wise man once used to say to me... "Almost only counts in Horse shoes and Hand grenades :angry:

Nope. Not baiting anyone. Just stating my opinion.

FootballIsMyLife,...I'll take it bait or not,so here it goes,...peep,peep,peep.. It is a possibility of the Trojans going 5-5 but not a probability. If the Trojans did happen to not win another one we wont be licking our wounds long. We have some big stuff coming to a field near you in 2010. By the way, what field would that be???

Ok folks, it's Week 9 and everything is coming into focus. The next two weeks will decide who is in and who isn't. This is my look at what I think to be the 'Big Games in Memphis ... Week 9'.

Division I

District 14:

Millington (6A, 5-3, 4-0) @ Craigmont (5A, 6-2, 2-2)

District 15:

Ridgeway (5A, 3-4, 2-2) @ Germantown (6A, 7-1, 5-0) [Trap Game for Germantown?]

District 16:

Memphis East (5A, 2-6, 1-3) @ Whitehaven (6A, 7-1, 4-1) [Trap Game for Whitehaven?]

Division II

Class A

FACS (A, 7-1, 4-1) @ St. Goerge's (A, 5-3, 4-3) [Must win game for St. Goerge's]

Class AA

CBHS (AA, 7-1, 1-0) @ MUS (AA, 8-0, 1-0) [The winner is the Big Dog in D-II]

Briarcrest (AA, 6-2, 0-1) @ St. Benedict (AA, 3-5, 0-1) [Playing for the number 3 spot in D-II]

My picks are as follows:

Millington proves to be too much and wins ............... ................... 21 - 7

Germantown stays focused and wins convincingly .......................... 21 - 7

Whitehaven leaves nothing to chance and soundly wins .................. 28 - 14

FACS is just too much for St. George's and wins ............................ 21 - 14

MUS gets the job done and is the top dog winning ......................... 28 - 14

Briarcrest isn't about to lose this game and win BIG ....................... 28 -7

That's it for me. How do you guys pick?

My picks:

Millington- 18

Craigmont- 14

The home field advantage for Millington.

Germantown- 30

Ridgeway- 20

This game will be closer than my predicted score indicates.

Whitehaven- 34

East- 14

Whitehaven should prove to be just too much for East.

FACS- 20

St. George's- 26

MUS- 38

CBHS- 13

The problems associated with a wet ball may result in this one being closer than it should be. Given that this game will be played on a nice surface, MUS's offensive scheme, speed, and talent, should prove to be too much for CBHS. CBHS's Jonathon Brown will have to have a huge game, superman-like, on offense (at running back) for CBHS to have a chance in this game. And for that to happen, CBHS will have to have some success in its passing game. Not going to happen :angry:

Briarcrest- 34

St. Benedict- 10

This one will be similiar to the CBHS/Briarcrest game; but worse for St. Benedict.

One last thing- congratulations to Arlington for their win over Craigmont. I am now convinced that Arlington is a good football team.

MUS- 38

CBHS- 13

The problems associated with a wet ball may result in this one being closer than it should be. Given that this game will be played on a nice surface, MUS's offensive scheme, speed, and talent, should prove to be too much for CBHS. CBHS's Jonathon Brown will have to have a huge game, superman-like, on offense (at running back) for CBHS to have a chance in this game. And for that to happen, CBHS will have to have some success in its passing game. Not going to happen :roflolk:

Nice call :popcorneater: Final score MUS 38 CBHS 14.

Game of the night occured at Southwind tonight as The Dale beat Southwind 35-28 on a late interception with only a few seconds to go. To be honest Southwind should've won this game, but POOR special teams was their downfall and another bad coaching night. Wooddale got a long kickoff return, a return TD, and a blocked punt that led to a score. Other then that they scored on a pick 6 and their offense only had one "scoring" drive if you know what I mean. Wooddale has some athlethes and all, but they gave up alot yards in the air to an less than average QB in Jeffrey Tompkins of Southwind. Defensively Southwind has put together some great performances in a losing effort these last two weeks and I believe Kendrick Golden may be up there with the great defensive players such as Fred Harvey, and Justin Maclin. Southwind will most likely finish 3-7, but I believe Wooddale can't allow the big play to happen in the playoffs if they face an Arlington or White Station. Good win by Da Dale.

P.S. Can anyone tell me their take of the coaching tactics of Miller at Wooddale? To be honest I think he's been the main reason for the close losses to Ridgeway, trying to sit on a 7 point lead with the run which wasn't working instead of passing it, which would've led to more movement on the offensive side of the ball. This friday against Wooddale for the lack of special teams preparation and also only running the ball 7 times? Basically Vice-Versa, but Special Teams(especifically Kickoffs) have been killing this team.

Mill 17 --- CRG 14 .................... Millington escapes.

Gtwn 24 --- RW 14 ................... Gtwn is just a better team.

Whtvn 33 --- East 13 ................ East is ALREADY eliminated from playoffs = Zero motivation!

StGeo 24 --- FACS 21 ............. St. Georges wins a see-saw game.

MUS 23 --- CBHS 13 ................. MUS shakes off its #1 rival, late.

Briar 35 --- St.Ben 10 ................ St. Benedict is outclassed.

Excellent win by Craigmont. Solid effort by Millington.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I listened to this game on the radio, while attending the South Panola -- Southaven game (SP 40 - Southaven 0, after a scoreless 1st-half). I must hand it to Craigmont-- they played an outstanding defensive game and completely shut-down Millington, allowing only one sustained drive.

In my mind, this game was an excellent measuring stick for Craigmont (and, by default--Arlington). I honestly thought that they would lose. I was wrong.

Craigmont clearly has a good ballclub! :thumb:

Craigmont's run-defense seems very solid and should serve them very well, during the playoffs. Of course, Millington has no passing game. So, Craigmont's pass-defense was not tested (seems they did admirably vs Arlington, last week). If Craigmont's can muster up more proficiency in the passing game, then I would not be surprised to see them make a run to the 3rd round of the playoffs!

As a side note, Craigmont obviously does not have a FG kicker! That is never a good thing for any playoff team. Tonight, it could have easily cost them an outright victory over Millington (thank goodness for a stout defense): Craigmont had the ball deep in Millington's Red Zone, on two occasions that I recall, but had to go for it on 4th down. They failed each time and came away with zero points, missing golden opportunities to push the game to two posessions. In the playoffs....Oh well, at least Craigmont has an extra-point kicker.

-------------------------------------------

Arlington vs Millington is an intriguing matchup... I'll reserve my comments for that thread.

[

Excellent win by Craigmont. Solid effort by Millington.

-----------------------------------------------------------

ICraigmont's run-defense seems very solid and should serve them very well, during the playoffs. Of course, Millington has no passing game. So, Craigmont's pass-defense was not tested (seems they did admirably vs Arlington, last week). If Craigmont's can muster up more proficiency in the passing game, then I would not be surprised to see them make a run to the 3rd round of the playoffs!

is an intriguing matchup[/b]... I'll reserve my comments for that thread.

Craigmont's Run D isn't quite as stout as you are making them out to be. They are good but they are by no means Great In fact, Millington had a rusher going over the 100 mark for the first time this year

(Roland Genessey 27 carries for 128 yds). What Craigmont did effectively was stop the Big Play. Which isn't very hard vs Millington this year. Millington has very little Big Play ability in 2009. As a previous poster stated, that will change in 2010. There is a playmaker on the horizon! Congrats to Craigmont on a hard fought Victory. You deserved to WIN!!! But I assure you Craigmont will not be playing in Week 3 of the playoffs.

Go Trojans!