Orleans Darkwa injury

wildcatfan123

Who cares about scores: It's high school football. What spectator truly knows the quality of the backups one team is putting in comparison to what the opposing team is putting in - unless of course they played a JV game? Ensworth and Baylor did not. Baylor played hard, but they lost.

Bottom line since I don't know the status of Orleans:

Ensworth beats BGA mightily with Orleans

Ensworth simply defeats BGA without Orleans

The comment about scoring on the jv team was a shot at Baylor. Baylor has done well starting alot of sophmores this year and I am sure Ensworth wasn't playing many for the entire game like Baylor did. Ensworth has a great team and I think they will get a shot at MUS. MUS will be the best offensive team they have seen this year. Should be a great game.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking on another issue about someone asking about MUS . . . well, my middle TN friends, those boys in Memphis can play football. They are the real deal, as some of our middle TN friends found out in the state championship game last year. I do know this, and that is they know how to play football in Mississippi, and MUS took it to two of their state's top ranked teams in Olive Branch and South Panola. Additionally, MUS showed it could beat somebody without their top star when Brunetti got injured early in a game and his owls still pulled out the victory. Maybe Ensworth and MUS are on a collision course - but Ensworth still has a lot to do to get there (while I suspect that MUS is already there). I don't know a soul at MUS, but they are the team to beat in Tennessee. I hope Ensworth and MUS meet . . . I hope we have two undefeated teams meeting in Cookeville. That would absolutely be an exciting atmosphere. I hope Cookeville is ready if that happens. But like I said, Ensworth has a lot to do still to get there. MUS will be there.

A couple of things that I noticed when watching MUS last week...

They change the pace with the RB's well. McBride is a heavy hitter with great speed (track champion last year). Almond is the scatback with some serious wheels who also plays WR and plays it well. Brunetti gives them a dangerous 3rd option to run, but I really think that the groin injury has made him a more dangerous power. It appeared to me that he looked more patient in the pocket since he was a little hampered.

CBHS did some good things early to slow them down, but the offense (especially with the help of the D) is capable of exploding at any moment. At one point, I believe they scored 2 TD's and accounted for well over 100 yards in a span of 3 offensive plays.

What did MUS look like? Are they State Champion material?

Sorry I'm just now answering. MUS is probably one of the best HS football teams I've seen play. I'm young, only 21, but I've watched alot of good high school football teams in Tennessee and MUS is probably one of the best I've seen. I heard someone up behind me mention that QB Barry Brunetti might be the best QB out of Memphis in 20-25 years. He played with a pulled groin muscle the other night and still played extremely well. If you guys remember Pat White that played QB for West Virgina a couple of years ago....that's exactly the type of player Barry Brunetti is. The RB's are quick, strong, and got outside on almost every play. Supposedly, Christian Brothers had the best defense in Memphis going into last weeks game and MUS had the best offense in Memphis going into the game. After watching the game, MUS's offense and defense seemed to be better.

MUS was losing 14-10 at halftime. They scored 28 points in the first five minutes of the second half. The final score was 38-14.

Speaking on another issue about someone asking about MUS . . . well, my middle TN friends, those boys in Memphis can play football. They are the real deal, as some of our middle TN friends found out in the state championship game last year. I do know this, and that is they know how to play football in Mississippi, and MUS took it to two of their state's top ranked teams in Olive Branch and South Panola. Additionally, MUS showed it could beat somebody without their top star when Brunetti got injured early in a game and his owls still pulled out the victory. Maybe Ensworth and MUS are on a collision course - but Ensworth still has a lot to do to get there (while I suspect that MUS is already there). I don't know a soul at MUS, but they are the team to beat in Tennessee. I hope Ensworth and MUS meet . . . I hope we have two undefeated teams meeting in Cookeville. That would absolutely be an exciting atmosphere. I hope Cookeville is ready if that happens. But like I said, Ensworth has a lot to do still to get there. MUS will be there.

I don't think anybody has said anything to suggest that MUS is not an outstanding team. There aren't a lot of posters from the Memphis area, so we don't really hear or know a great deal about the Memphis area teams. Clearly we know (and are quite happy with) MUS's results against very highly regarded out of state teams. What I've read on the boards here has been very complimentary of MUS. Still, I can't help wonder about an element of hubris.

Pity it's going to be played on a school night in a location that's convenient to pretty much no one. The TSSAA will never go for it, but it seems more sensible to look at establishing a neutral site once the two finalists are set. There are enough small college stadiums (or big Div II stadiums) to come up with something convenient to both schools, that can above all be played on a Friday night or a Saturday. It's worth remembering that this was done for years and drew good crowds.

I don't think anybody has said anything to suggest that MUS is not an outstanding team. There aren't a lot of posters from the Memphis area, so we don't really hear or know a great deal about the Memphis area teams. Clearly we know (and are quite happy with) MUS's results against very highly regarded out of state teams. What I've read on the boards here has been very complimentary of MUS. Still, I can't help wonder about an element of hubris.

Pity it's going to be played on a school night in a location that's convenient to pretty much no one. The TSSAA will never go for it, but it seems more sensible to look at establishing a neutral site once the two finalists are set. There are enough small college stadiums (or big Div II stadiums) to come up with something convenient to both schools, that can above all be played on a Friday night or a Saturday. It's worth remembering that this was done for years and drew good crowds.

I'm pretty sure it is planned that if Ensworth makes it to the Championship, then they are cutting school early (and shipping EVERYONE) up there. Even though that is only ~450 kids it makes for a good crowd. Plus the lower school might get out too. It is a pain however that it is on a weekday but at least it is during the day so that might take some edge off of the cold.

What did MUS look like? Are they State Champion material?

Sorry I'm just now answering. MUS is probably one of the best HS football teams I've seen play. I'm young, only 21, but I've watched alot of good high school football teams in Tennessee and MUS is probably one of the best I've seen. I heard someone up behind me mention that QB Barry Brunetti might be the best QB out of Memphis in 20-25 years. He played with a pulled groin muscle the other night and still played extremely well. If you guys remember Pat White that played QB for West Virgina a couple of years ago....that's exactly the type of player Barry Brunetti is. The RB's are quick, strong, and got outside on almost every play. Supposedly, Christian Brothers had the best defense in Memphis going into last weeks game and MUS had the best offense in Memphis going into the game. After watching the game, MUS's offense and defense seemed to be better.

MUS was losing 14-10 at halftime. They scored 28 points in the first five minutes of the second half. The final score was 38-14.

CBHS had the best defense on paper. MUS has the best defense on the field. The Owls are very very good defensively, despite losing almost all of their D from last season. People look at their stats and think they are not all that great, but the truth is that they have played a stacked scheduled. If they had not played the South Panola's or Olive Branch's, their stats would look a lot better. Also, a lot of teams have scored a decent bit of those points and decent chunk of yardage late in the game after the starters are long gone and the game has long been over.

I'm pretty sure it is planned that if Ensworth makes it to the Championship, then they are cutting school early (and shipping EVERYONE) up there. Even though that is only ~450 kids it makes for a good crowd. Plus the lower school might get out too. It is a pain however that it is on a weekday but at least it is during the day so that might take some edge off of the cold.

Wait... not only is the State Championship going to be played during the week and off the beaten path, but it is going to be played during the day? Tell me it's not so! Can the TSSAA think of any more ways to diminish the crowds that may want to actually watch this game?

Now I don't want anyone saying I have a persecution complex, BUT DII is the red-headed stepchild of the TSSAA. Everything the TSSAA does focuses first on the public schools. There is no telling why the decision was made to play the DII championship in Cookeville except that the TSSAA has to get the games over with and out of the way of the DI playoffs and championship games. They can not allow the best teams in the state to steal the luster of the other 17 state championship games to be played. 2 years ago when my son played for MBA they had to take a week off between the semi-final and final because MTSU had a home game the first Saturday. They played the game the Saturday after Thanksgiving. That meant in our case that my son couldn't travel with us for the holiday, he had to stay in Nashville. I'm sure families from both schools faced the same problem. I remember in 2004 when they first moved the championship game from Vanderbilt (remember the Clinic Bowl?, where the proceeds went to a good cause not into the TSSAA's pocket to pay their legal bills) to MTSU they played the game the Tuesday night before Thanksgiving. If I had to guess the reason that the game has been moved to Cookeville has to do first with the availability of MTSU (home games scheduled for the Saturdays) and money for the TSSAA. The schools, players, and fans are the last thing on their mind.

I have watched MUS play 3 games this year. South Panola, White Station, and Christian Brothers. Not a team in the State that could hang with them if they played 10 times MUS would beat them 9 out of 10 times. But this is High School Football and there is always that one game and this is why they play it. MUS just has too much talent and the Coaching is like a bigtime college squad. I seriously think, after watch Memphis State play the other night that MUS would beat them. Good luck to all, would love to see an Ensworth -vs- MUS match up in the finals. Would be a great game and atmosphere for all.

And pretty sure you are going to be disappointed because I am 95% sure Darkwa will not play against BGA. Even though he could play injured it's, Ensworth won't need him to beat BGA considering they have a good back up running back and a returned passing game.

Darkwa accounts for 68% of the total offense so it would be interesting to see how well EHS performs without him. I hope the Ensworth team is as overconfident as "wrangler".

Not so overconfident now. Ensworth wins handily 35-9.

I have watched MUS play 3 games this year. South Panola, White Station, and Christian Brothers. Not a team in the State that could hang with them if they played 10 times MUS would beat them 9 out of 10 times. But this is High School Football and there is always that one game and this is why they play it. MUS just has too much talent and the Coaching is like a bigtime college squad. I seriously think, after watch Memphis State play the other night that MUS would beat them. Good luck to all, would love to see an Ensworth -vs- MUS match up in the finals. Would be a great game and atmosphere for all.

Will you PLEASE! go to the AA boards and tell the Alcoa fans that MUS is that much better than Alcoa. I've seen Alcoa and MUS both this year. I know my football. I know MUS is much better than Alcoa. The topic on the AA boards is "Is Alcoa the best team in the state". Please go over on that board and back me up on the subject. I'm taking alot of flack from the Alcoa faithful for MUS telling them that MUS is better.