3A Playoff Central

Gerry Bertier

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My point was not based on Polk County(though it's ridiculous they are a 2 seed and undefeated) but the 6 proven teams in that quadrant. You have Alcoa and 5 teams that could contend for the top of all the rest of the quadrants. That's 6 very good teams that are funneled down into a gauntlet to the semis.

While i'm soapboxing it, let me give you a scenario...

Say an undefeated Polk team makes it to Alcoa and pulls off the upset of a lifetime and knocks them off, how hard will it be for them to play 2 opponents after playing and beating the best public school team in the state of Tennessee? It is ridiculous that an undefeated would have to play another team that finished with an undefeated record before the state semifinals when quads 1 and 3 have 2 loss teams as the number one seed.....that is ridiculous

Probably all valid points but the travel has been a determining factor in all of this, from going from 5 to 3 regular season classes to laying out the quadrants by geography. You could rank the teams 1-32 and send them all over the state for matchups but how many fans could follow a team from Memphis to Elizabethton (just an example) and how much more school fuel money would be wasted.

In spite of all the griping about 2 great teams in the same quadrant, I think this is the best playoff scenario that TSSAA has come up with since I've been following. It only makes sense that the quads be geographically divided. It only makes sense that district rematches be postponed as long as possible. What we're griping about is who has to play the big dog in the quadrant finals instead of in the state championship game. If anything, I think the seeding should be 3A to 3A since some 3A schools might play in a district with better or more 4A schools than others. All in all, this is the most exciting playoff brackets that I've ever been a part of. Much better than district 11 playing district 12 and so on down a region to region bracket where there are numerous region rematches in round 1 or round 2. At least now, 2 undefeated teams from the same quad are guaranteed not to play each other until round 3. I don't think it gets any better than that.

Kudos Gerry Bertier. I think you've done a stand up job (right or wrong) on appraising the matchups before Saturday morning.

Question....What day would 3A's title game be played? Friday or Saturday. I know in previous years 1A and 2A are on Friday, with 3A, 4A and 5A on Saturday. But TSSAA has mixed everything else up....so I wouldn't be surprised for this one to be a toss up as well! lol

According to TSSAA website:

"All BlueCross Bowl state championship games will be played at Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville, TN. The Division II BlueCross Bowl state championship games are to begin on December 3 at 3:30 p.m. (CT) (Class A) and 3:30 p.m. (CT) (Class AA). The Division I BlueCross Bowl Class 1A, 3A and 5A championship games are to start at 12:00 p.m. (CT), 3:30 p.m. (CT) and 7:00 p.m. (CT), respectively on December 4. Kickoff for the Class 2A championship game is 12:00 p.m. (CT), followed by the 4A game at 3:30 p.m. (CT) and 6A game at 7:00 p.m. (CT) on December 5."

Bummer...part of the state championship game is spending the night and eating b'fast with other fans. This will put a damper on the game (if we continue to win, that is).

GO TORNADOES!