CAK vs Alcoa Part II

FootballDad

It just seems like since Reid and Rankin eras have come the quality of football no doubt have improved but the tradition has been lost. You walk down the hill when you leave the locker room, run through a paper sign with some silly smack talk the cheerleaders came up with and you hit the sidelines while the band plays The Horse. You wear Maroon, Gray and white and your helmet must never change (darn you Ironside).

Just my lil rant, I guess you can say I just miss the good ol days but hey Im sure once they replace good ol Goddard Field (which is ignorant) all tradition will finally be lost

I understand that you might miss some of the good old traditions, but this feels a little like a slap to the face of the players. It seems a little like you don't think the boys are playing "true Alcoa football" I thought Alcoa tradition was about:

Playing football with passion, striving for excellence, coming together as a team, overcoming challenges, and having a lot of fun.

All the bells and whistles before/after the game are great. They add to the overall atmosphere. I love the band, especially the drum core. However, the tradition is on the field. It is about remembering the legacy of past teams, and leaving your own legacy on the field.

The tradition is about the boys on the field and what they've done.

It has nothing to do with the players. If you're taking that from what Im saying then you're looking entirely too much into it. Just imagine if Tennessee took away the Vol walk, running through the T...What if Miami stopped coming out of the smoking helmet or Clemson stopped touching the statue or rock or whatever it is before the game...Say what you will about the tradition is the play on the field, there is more to tradition then just the game. If you want to start new traditions by all means please do but dont create new ones to sacrifice the old ones.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has nothing to do with the players. If you're taking that from what Im saying then you're looking entirely too much into it. Just imagine if Tennessee took away the Vol walk, running through the T...What if Miami stopped coming out of the smoking helmet or Clemson stopped touching the statue or rock or whatever it is before the game...Say what you will about the tradition is the play on the field, there is more to tradition then just the game. If you want to start new traditions by all means please do but dont create new ones to sacrifice the old ones.

74 when did you wear the maroon and gray/white? What years did you "shoot the silver bullet(s)",break through the banner, or run through the "A" while the band played the Horse?

Having only followed Alcoa for a mere16 years, I hope I'm not over stepping my bounds, but since the Reid and Rankin eras, do you really miss all the personal fouls, and constant complaints from opposing coaches and officials, and general negative opinion from opposing fans. I don't.

Food for thought and just so that you will know, the discipline problems and negative opinions are not products of "true" Alcoa tradition. A lot of the negative talk is concomitant with the Reid era. Rankin has brought in much needed discipline that not only counteracts the personal fouls, but ticky tack penalties (offsides, holding, etc.) as well. And let's not forget the weight program and improved facilities--these things were not always there, but they have now become a much welcomed part of the Alcoa Football Program. . .tradition :popcorneater:

74 when did you wear the maroon and gray/white? What years did you "shoot the silver bullet(s)",break through the banner, or run through the "A" while the band played the Horse?

2000-2001 the notorious dreaded Meadows years that everyone ###### about. and yes when they gave me a grey and black tshirt in the offseason that year i bitched too cause it wasnt school colors.

2000-2001 the notorious dreaded Meadows years that everyone ###### about. and yes when they gave me a grey and black tshirt in the offseason that year i bitched too cause it wasnt school colors.

74 - Put the beer down and listen very carefully: True Alcoa High School Football tradition is winning football games and state championships with class. I think most all on this board will agree that the tradition is in outstanding hands with this team, their parents, and school adminstrators. You may now pick up the beer.

Ok, I feel your pain :roflol:

74 - Put the beer down and listen very carefully: True Alcoa High School Football tradition is winning football games and state championships with class. I think most all on this board will agree that the tradition is in outstanding hands with this team, their parents, and school adminstrators. You may now pick up the beer.

:roflol:

I just want to say thank you to the CAK players and coaches, especially the Seniors and the volunteer coaches. You guys made this a special season! 10-2, and your only losses to the 5 consecutive year (and probable 6th year) state champion, Alcoa. We appreciate so much the time and energy these volunteer coaches put in for nothing but the love of the game and the kids. This team would not have been the same without you! Best of luck to the seniors as you enjoy your senior year, and God bless you as you move on to college and with your life. You have left some big shoes to fill, and truly have moved this program forward in a big way over your 4 years. :roflolk:

I just want to say thank you to the CAK players and coaches, especially the Seniors and the volunteer coaches. You guys made this a special season! 10-2, and your only losses to the 5 consecutive year (and probable 6th year) state champion, Alcoa. We appreciate so much the time and energy these volunteer coaches put in for nothing but the love of the game and the kids. This team would not have been the same without you! Best of luck to the seniors as you enjoy your senior year, and God bless you as you move on to college and with your life. You have left some big shoes to fill, and truly have moved this program forward in a big way over your 4 years. :roflol:

Well said GVK. I echo those same sentiments. You don't always have to go home with that gold ball to be a "Champion". This team did us all proud. As another poster said, Warriors is a good representative mascot for this group of guys. ;)