Maryville vs. Farragut

B2B2B

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand all the pro Maryville sentiment as they do have a sterling reputation this time of year, and I will say Farragut has to be the underdog coming in. But, I think if Farragut can get their sputtering offense back on track they can win without having to rely on a miracle. The crowd wont be a factor, Farragut has played in plenty of hostile environments before (Ooltewah, Oak Ridge, Bearden, etc.). I am hoping that Farragut's OC will do whatever it takes to win, even if he has to run the ball every play. It seems he prefers to use the pass to set up the run, and is sometimes bound and determined to play wide open when conservitive might produce a win. Farragut is battle tested and the defense is playing very good right now. Everyone is healthy, WR #9 was sick all last week and should be more of a factor in this game. Is anyone else sick of hearing about GQ's trick plays? I swear it's all the media talks about. I realize the Maryville faithful love and respect GQ, but if you only listened to the radio you would think that that's how Maryville wins all their games. Another thing is that this Senior class at Farragut has lost in this round every year they've played. Does this cause undo stress and questions in the back of their minds, or does it inspire them to give everything to push beyond what they have done in years past?

The reason they talk about "trick" plays by GQ, is that it has often been the difference in a win/loss in big games. It has also been the difference when playing teams with more talent (Hillsboro, Melrose, Central, Alcoa, and yes, Farragut earlier this year!)

The Maryville faithful can give you example after example when in a big game (decided by a few points) the "trick" play made the difference.

The Rebels have some that I have watched them work on in practice for 7 years. Plays that I would love to see in a game. Maybe one day they'll use them. All I know is that GQ has an uncanny ability to use it at just the right time! In addition to delighting all Rebel fans it gives opposing coaches something extra to spend time on in practice. That's why we love it!!!

I understand all the pro Maryville sentiment as they do have a sterling reputation this time of year, and I will say Farragut has to be the underdog coming in. But, I think if Farragut can get their sputtering offense back on track they can win without having to rely on a miracle. The crowd wont be a factor, Farragut has played in plenty of hostile environments before (Ooltewah, Oak Ridge, Bearden, etc.). I am hoping that Farragut's OC will do whatever it takes to win, even if he has to run the ball every play. It seems he prefers to use the pass to set up the run, and is sometimes bound and determined to play wide open when conservitive might produce a win. Farragut is battle tested and the defense is playing very good right now. Everyone is healthy, WR #9 was sick all last week and should be more of a factor in this game. Is anyone else sick of hearing about GQ's trick plays? I swear it's all the media talks about. I realize the Maryville faithful love and respect GQ, but if you only listened to the radio you would think that that's how Maryville wins all their games. Another thing is that this Senior class at Farragut has lost in this round every year they've played. Does this cause undo stress and questions in the back of their minds, or does it inspire them to give everything to push beyond what they have done in years past?

The OC was the reason for last years loss at Ooltewah. You can run 5 and 2 yards and hope to move the ball. Last years defense played really good against the owls. Browning and company were a no show in the playoffs just like this year.

I do have one question I've been meaning to ask...I don't see any Maryville players up for any awards or all-star teams. Is that because they play good as a team but are not that great individually OR is it because they are just so young in most positions and are still developing? Thanks

As I left the first game between these two teams, I figured they would meet again and that Farragut would have the upper hand. My mind has changed with the way Farragut has played their two playoff games. I mean we all know that the buzzards, I mean Owls from Ooltewah were overrated and were missing their best player when Farragut beat them and Bearden practically beat themselves last week. I think Maryville comes out and puts an old fashioned butt whipping on Farragut tonight. Farragut threw everything they had at them the first game and still couldn't win the game, that has to be in the players heads. I'll say Maryville 28 Farragut 14 in a game that won't be as close as the score. This one will never be in doubt.

I do have one question I've been meaning to ask...I don't see any Maryville players up for any awards or all-star teams. Is that because they play good as a team but are not that great individually OR is it because they are just so young in most positions and are still developing? Thanks

Young wait till next year. If they don't win it this year.

My 2 cents…..I have watched Farragut play all 12 games and Maryville 3 times. Maryville is very consistent, not having a significant difference in performance between playing good and bad. Few turnovers. You can pretty much count on them scoring 3-4 times in every game. Farragut on the other hand has 2 teams. Which one shows up is the big question. The first half against Heritage (starters only played the 1st half) was their best football of the year. They scored a touchdown on every possession and Heritage never had a first down (3 and out). If they play like that they can beat anyone in the state….easily. In some other games it looked like another team was playing. I believe the outcome depends on mistakes, turnovers and bad penalties at the wrong time.

No turnovers….few bad penalties…..Farragut will win. Like the first game against Maryville, turnovers bad penalties….they lose.

No turnovers/bad penalties: Farragut 31 Maryville 24

Otherwise: Maryville 38 Farragut 20