MBA vs MUS

oldgoldandorange91

volfan5 - a typical Alcoa fan, you have it backwards. Your fans ALWAYS say the DII teams should schedule the F5 "to settle the issue." But it's YOUR fans that are filling the net with claims of superiority. The phone works both ways. If you want to prove your case, Rankin should be the one making the call. As I have said before, Alcoa and Ensworth were both looking for a game the same weekend in September. Rankin would not even talk about a game. He instead tried to schedule little Franklin Road Academy, a team he would have thrashed. One Alcoa fan responded by saying that the AD not Rankin did the scheduling. Right. And Rankin has no input? Please....And, as others pointed out, H*** will freeze over before "the architect of the public-private split" will ever play Brentwood Academy or any major DII team. So don't keep implying that the DII teams are dodging you. Why would MUS travel 400 miles to play Alcoa when Olive Branch and South Panola are just across the state line? To satisfy your egos? I don't think so.

Was I arrogant on my post??? TYPICAL ALCOA FAN..... Claims of superiority..... Which poster has claimed superiority??..... As for the phone Alcoa never tried to schedule FRA. Rankin does not make the schedule. Alcoa's athletic director calls ALL of the schools for scheduling. Does Rankin have any input? YESSSSS!!! Also Alcoa played McCallie in 06 and 07 with 2 wins. In 07 McCallie lost in the championship game by 7 that year to BA. Wouldn't you say Alcoa could play with any DII team that year??? The next year McCallie DID NOT WANT TO RENEW THE CONTRACT WITH ALCOA. Rankin would have renewed this game if McCallie wanted to. I believe the last DII team that we played since then would have been BA in 88 and 89. Of course they were in 2a at the time. BA won in 88 and Alcoa in 89. It looks like Alcoa would do excellent in the DII league. Of course in these imaginary games we usually lose them..

What about a bowl game with 4 teams in Nashville???

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you misunderstood my point. Not a knock coming from Ensworth about MBA or vice versa -- simply giving a different side to MBA's playoff success. These boys are talented ball players, not some non-athletes who were molded and created by MBA coaching staff. Mobley, Simonis, Bars, Colbert, and Blackwell were alternating starters on MBA's Varsity basketball team last year. Need I say more: quick, agile athletes. (The football info was repeated, without solicitation, throughout the season by many unhappy MBA parents and players regarding negative coaching at the school.) The MBA team deserved better than their season (record.)

I'm not really sure what you watched this season. I watched every MBA game except the second BGA game. This was a distinctly average team. The score against Pearl-Cohn was flattering to MBA: that game was much tighter than the score suggests. MBA deserved to lose to Maplewood. McGugin simply outcoached his counterpart. The Ensworth game was a pretty good indicator of the gulf in talent between the two schools. MBA has a number of good athletes. Ensworth has a number of good football players. By this time they were having to develop a new QB, as well as replace an excellent LB. It was also quite apparent that MBA couldn't stop the run. Their defense makes guest appearances in several TB's highlight reels.

The BA game again exposed MBA's limitations. The result was a pretty fair inidicator of the relative talent. The losses to to both Independence and BGA highlighted just how poor the MBA run defense was. I'd say you've completely missed the point in your final statement: MBA deserved to be 4-6 after the regular season.

The only difference in the play-off run and the regular season was Simonis at QB. This team had no business beating Ensworth and BA on their own fields. And if they handle that punt in the 4th quarter, the championship might have become a nail-biter. (Lest the MUS people think they're being slighted, I'm fully aware that the stars fell favorably for MBA. Brunetti's injury took away any running threat he posed, and the cold probably made him miserable all night long. According to McGugin, the young man felt he would be at 80% for the game. I would think 60% would have been an optimisitic estimate. On a decent night with him healthy, I suspect we'd have seen a running clock).

In short, I think MBA came out out of the season with a lot more than they their talent merited. The success of this season comes down to scrappiness and good coaching.

Why? Because their schedules are already filled with South Panolas and Neases and Trinitys and Byrneses and Moellers and Bolleses and St. Xaviers and Prattvilles?

:thumb: Pretty good come back but you don't lose (respect) as much if you get beat by one of those teams. If you lose to Alcoa then its just that little 3a school that beat you. GET IT!!

A silly argument as to why the DII schools have played these regional/national powers. I'm sure if I argued that Alcoa scheduled Bell County so as not to be potentially embarassed by little ol' South Pittsburg, I'd be taken to task similarly.

I have nothing but admiration for what Alcoa has done. But the toots on the 3A-4A thread about how "unimpressive" MUS was on Thursday night are laughable but, of course, self-serving.

A silly argument as to why the DII schools have played these regional/national powers. I'm sure if I argued that Alcoa scheduled Bell County so as not to be potentially embarassed by little ol' South Pittsburg, I'd be taken to task similarly.

I have nothing but admiration for what Alcoa has done. But the toots on the 3A-4A thread about how "unimpressive" MUS was on Thursday night are laughable but, of course, self-serving.

rollredroll I believe you missed my point and you don't understand how hard it is to fill our schedule. If South Pittsburg wanted to play Alcoa this year it would have happened. As far as the toots on the 3a-4a thread. I agree but we all have them. Even your DII brethren. I was just asking you guys to schedule Alcoa in 2011 and 2012. Just thought more people would want to see the match-up between any of these schools.

rollredroll I believe you missed my point and you don't understand how hard it is to fill our schedule. If South Pittsburg wanted to play Alcoa this year it would have happened. As far as the toots on the 3a-4a thread. I agree but we all have them. Even your DII brethren. I was just asking you guys to schedule Alcoa in 2011 and 2012. Just thought more people would want to see the match-up between any of these schools.

What would you and the rest of the Tornado fans do if you guys lost by say 3-4 TD's? Because that's what would probably happen. MUS is on another level and I told you Alcoa people all through the season that MUS was better. However, you guys claimed there was no team in the state that was 17 points better than Alcoa. It just so happens there is and there might be more than 1 team that could!

To suggest that either MBA or MUS is scared to schedule Alcoa is ridiculous. Obviously, based upon who they have scheduled in the past, they'll take on anyone. Can't really say the same thing about Rankin. Here is a man who has made his living by beating inferior competition. He led the push for the split when Riverdale couldn't beat BA and then leaves Riverdale when Rutherford County opens new schools to split up his talent pool. The only time Rankin wants a piece of a private school is if there is a coaching vacancy and he'll never land one of those jobs.

You can talk about Alcoa being a little old 3A school, but the fact of the matter is that Alcoa should have moved to a higher classification years ago. If it's so easy to win the 3A title and you want to prove that you're the class of Tennessee high school football, then voluntarily move up and do so. Plenty of teams have done this in the past.....come to think of it, they're primarily in Division II.

VolFan5 - never used the word "arrogant." TYPICAL Alcoa fan referred to their oft-repeated suggestion that the D2 schools call Alcoa for a game rather then the other way around. How could you know WHO was called for a game unless you are either Rankin or the AD himself? Are you? If you're not, then you don't know what you're talking about. Why don't you call the coach at Franklin Road Academy to find out? You would be enlightened. Why would Rankin tell the AD about a possible game "feeler" (FRA) that was turned down? Or an available game (Ensworth) that he would NEVER consider?

As far as "superiority?" I am quite confident that the "Is Alcoa the Best Team in the State in Any Classification" thread started far east of Nashville. I especially loved seeing all those little gold balls being tacked on to the posts to back up their "best in the state" THIS year assertions.

Why am I not surprised that this thread has digressed into yet another D-II vs. D-I thread. Precisely the reason I rarely post anymore.

First of all, congratulations to MUS. Two in a row and a winning streak like that is something to be very proud of.

My thoughts on the game: MBA played hard and I was happy to see it close. Like KWoodruff said, if MBA doesn't muff that punt, things get REALLY interesting. I'm not one for moral victories, but in this case, MBA wins by just getting there in light of the regular season they had. I still can't believe they were able to beat Ensworth and BA. This team showed some heart that I didn't think they had. Kudos to the seniors for a great turnaround.

I was impressed by MUS' hitting and intensity...something I felt MBA lacked all year. The Owls also have more skill people than MBA and it showed. MUS is a great team and, no doubt, the best in the state. However, I find it hard to beleive their lofty national ranking. They would get handled by a team like Byrnes or St. Thomas Aquinas. A big accomplishment, nonetheless. Another great year of high-level high school football in D-II.

By the way, did anyone hear a crowd estimate for the game? The terrible announcer said he was really impressed by the crowd. Must have been on the pressbox side because it didn't look like MUS brought that many people (understandably so).

VolFan5 - never used the word "arrogant." TYPICAL Alcoa fan referred to their oft-repeated suggestion that the D2 schools call Alcoa for a game rather then the other way around. How could you know WHO was called for a game unless you are either Rankin or the AD himself? Are you? If you're not, then you don't know what you're talking about. Why don't you call the coach at Franklin Road Academy to find out? You would be enlightened. Why would Rankin tell the AD about a possible game "feeler" (FRA) that was turned down? Or an available game (Ensworth) that he would NEVER consider?

As far as "superiority?" I am quite confident that the "Is Alcoa the Best Team in the State in Any Classification" thread started far east of Nashville. I especially loved seeing all those little gold balls being tacked on to the posts to back up their "best in the state" THIS year assertions.

First of all I'm not the AD or coach Rankin. I know the AD real well and play golf with him just about every Sunday. So I would know what's going on with Alcoa schedule. So your either a liar or the coach for FRA is. As for people coming on here and talking about these IMAGINARY games that Alcoa would lose. I say step up if your going to make these accusations. WE HAVE ALWAYS HELD OUR OWN WITH THE DII SCHOOLS. Also the person that told us to move up. Well Alcoa played 2a ball for 26 years when they should have been in 1a the whole time. From 1982 to 2005 Alcoa had any where from 382 students to 434 during this time. We won 3 state championships playing up. Matter of fact Alcoa beat BRENTWOOD ACADEMY in 1989 when we should have been 1a. :popcorneater: Everybody remembers the dominance of BA back in the 80's. So we did play up you idiot BUT you know nothing about ALCOA FOOTBALL. Also right now we are the 3rd smallest 3a school. I was just wanting some of the IMAGINARY GAMES TO HAPPEN. Just remember Alcoa has the longest winning streak in the state and we have 6 straight state titles and were not done yet.

GCPioneer, didn't you think Gibson County was going to make the playoffs? = WINLESS SEASON

First of all I'm not the AD or coach Rankin. I know the AD real well and play golf with him just about every Sunday. So I would know what's going on with Alcoa schedule. So your either a liar or the coach for FRA is. As for people coming on here and talking about these IMAGINARY games that Alcoa would lose. I say step up if your going to make these accusations. WE HAVE ALWAYS HELD OUR OWN WITH THE DII SCHOOLS. Also the person that told us to move up. Well Alcoa played 2a ball for 26 years when they should have been in 1a the whole time. From 1982 to 2005 Alcoa had any where from 382 students to 434 during this time. We won 3 state championships playing up. Matter of fact Alcoa beat BRENTWOOD ACADEMY in 1989 when we should have been 1a. :thumb: Everybody remembers the dominance of BA back in the 80's. So we did play up you idiot BUT you know nothing about ALCOA FOOTBALL. Also right now we are the 3rd smallest 3a school. I was just wanting some of the IMAGINARY GAMES TO HAPPEN. Just remember Alcoa has the longest winning streak in the state and we have 6 straight state titles and were not done yet.

GCPioneer, didn't you think Gibson County was going to make the playoffs? = WINLESS SEASON

Last year Alcoa lost to Maryville, Maryville Lost to Hillsboro, Hillsboro lost to MBA. Since 2001 every 5A/6A champion that has scheduled a Div II AA team has lost. The best football in Tennessee is played in Div II AA.

You are saying that over the past two years Alcoa hasn't received inquiries from any Div II AA school. I find that hard to believe, especially considering the amount of miles racked up traveling out of state for prestige opponents.

My gosh Alcoa guy over here saying they would hang with MUS? Give me a break, I was at the Alcoa vs Milan game and there is no way in the world that Alcoa team could even come close to beating MUS or MBA. It is just night and day the level of athletes DII has over most of the public schools. MUS man handled us with their Starting QB and RB out of the game and we destroyed Maryville from your area. Come on, get off the crack buddy. Maryville and Alcoa would be middle of the road teams in the DII conference. MBA, MUS, CBHS, Ensworth, and Brentwood would all beat them.