Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

From the comments on the Memphis Commercial Appeal website:

"I really believe Maryville doesn't have the competition that the teams in West Tennessee have. In Memphis, the teams are so talented and beat up on each other. I believe if Maryville were on the west side, I don't believe they would be going to the state championship game year after year. Good Luck and bring home that gold ball for the city of Memphis".

..........I believe if Maryville were on the west side, I'd probably have to move. :roflol:

Just some arrogance from a Melrose supporter.....I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, nor would I assume anyone is disrespecting Maryville. After all, no one believed we would win vs Brentwood, and I am of the opinion that Maryville is better than Brentwood. When/if people start posting score predictions, I imagine the overwhelming majority would pick the Rebels over the Spartans.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the comments on the Memphis Commercial Appeal website:

"I really believe Maryville doesn't have the competition that the teams in West Tennessee have. In Memphis, the teams are so talented and beat up on each other. I believe if Maryville were on the west side, I don't believe they would be going to the state championship game year after year. Good Luck and bring home that gold ball for the city of Memphis".

..........I believe if Maryville were on the west side, I'd probably have to move. :bored:

Spartan fan here. I do not know who made that statement, but either they were just flapping their gums, or they do not follow TN high school football very closely.

Anyway hats off to both teams for making to the finals and let's hope for an injury free game.

White Station's two losses have me curious as to what happened. CBHS shut out WSHS 27-0, no small feat given WSHS's high powered offense. Yet, in the MUS game, they were up against a better defense in MUS, and yet scored 35 (although gave up 55). I know comparative scores cannot be totally reliable as an indicator of team strength, but those few weeks White Station beat Whitehvaen 33-13, then White Station loses 0-27 to CBHS, and then Whitehaven whitewashes CBHS 21-0 are really a head scratcher.

Anyway, good luck to White Station. The 200 or so miles that must be traveled will be tough, but not nearly as tough as the 100 yards that must be traveled back and forth in Cookeville. It will take a monumental effort to keep the Maryville boys from hoisting the first 6A hardware in the state.

MHS 42, WSHS 20

White Station's two losses have me curious as to what happened. CBHS shut out WSHS 27-0, no small feat given WSHS's high powered offense. Yet, in the MUS game, they were up against a better defense in MUS, and yet scored 35 (although gave up 55). I know comparative scores cannot be totally reliable as an indicator of team strength, but those few weeks White Station beat Whitehvaen 33-13, then White Station loses 0-27 to CBHS, and then Whitehaven whitewashes CBHS 21-0 are really a head scratcher.

Anyway, good luck to White Station. The 200 or so miles that must be traveled will be tough, but not nearly as tough as the 100 yards that must be traveled back and forth in Cookeville. It will take a monumental effort to keep the Maryville boys from hoisting the first 6A hardware in the state.

MHS 42, WSHS 20

The scores we got in the MUS game were off a couple of mistakes made by the Owls offense. When Brunetti went down in the 1'st quarter the center snapped it over the 2'nd team QB's head and we picked it up and ran it in for a score. However, our offense played one of our better games that game in my opinion and we made some pretty nice plays like a long pass play where the MUS defender mis-judged the balled and let it get over him. That was a heck of a pass by Hayes to Burton. The sad part to me about that game was our Defense could not stop the MUS offense even without their starters. I know we are going to have to play a flawless game to even stay with Maryville. They are a very good team are probably coached better than we are but we have showed this year we never give up and have had a lot of come back games. We are probably missing a couple of playmakers on defense to win this game but at least we finally made it. Proud of these boys!

I know we are going to have to play a flawless game to even stay with Maryville. They are a very good team are probably coached better than we are but we have showed this year we never give up and have had a lot of come back games. We are probably missing a couple of playmakers on defense to win this game but at least we finally made it. Proud of these boys!

I agree 100%.

White Station must to WATCH OUT FOR THE TRICK PLAYS, especially when Maryville gets inside your 30 to 40 yard line. Defensive discipline is especially crucial at that time! :twisted:

Everytime I've seen Maryville play, dating back to their 7-6 Championship victory over Melrose, they have almost ALWAYS thrown in a back-breaking trick play, in tight ballgames! It's usually some sort of (successful) Double-Pass back to the opposite sideline, back to the Quarterback--who has kinda' "snuck" off and drifted down the sidelines, completely unnoticed!

Here is what you are going to see.

White Station.......a typical Memphis team that is loaded with athletes and a few future D-1 players. Speed...size...and athletes out of the rear.

Maryville.....rather slow....smallish in comparison....average athletes with futures in academics and possibly a few Division 3 kids.

When the teams run on the field for warm ups the look test will force the line to go up significantly in favor of White Station.....never fails.

BTW...if you think Maryville is about "trick plays" then you need to watch a few games. Maryville's so called trick or junk plays are part of the offense and most are not trick plays unless the defense is tricked... It does make a good excuse for the defense though.

I cant wait to watch this game.

Maryville has a great all around quarterback in Philip Juhlin. 2 solid running backs in Buddy Jones and Jacob West. A young a talented OL. 3 SOPHS start. 2 very good receivers in Dez Horne and Stian Romberg. Offense has got better each and every week.

Defensively the strength is the secondary. Kody Harris is a sure tackler and good cover guy. Lee Bristol is the best cover guy I ever seen at Maryville.

Don't know much about White Station except I know they run the No huddle shotgun.

I cant wait to watch this game.

Maryville has a great all around quarterback in Philip Juhlin. 2 solid running backs in Buddy Jones and Jacob West. A young a talented OL. 3 SOPHS start. 2 very good receivers in Dez Horne and Stian Romberg. Offense has got better each and every week.

Defensively the strength is the secondary. Kody Harris is a sure tackler and good cover guy. Lee Bristol is the best cover guy I ever seen at Maryville.

Don't know much about White Station except I know they run the No huddle shotgun.

I will gaurantee you this, White Station's Band will blow out Maryville's easily. Now as far as the football game, it is probably going to boil down to one thing and that is coaching. Maryville will most likely have much better coaching and game plan than White Station. We have a pretty good QB as well, his first year of playing the position. We have a very talented running back/receiver and a very good linebacker. The rest of the team is pretty average. I think Maryville will win but I think we will put up a fight and will not give up if we get down early.