Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

Other than Murfreesboro schools beating up on each other and apparently WS, 6A was definately down this year. From what I could tell from all 6 title games, overall talent/coaching/scheming/gameplay I would rank it 4a, 5a, 3a, 6a, 2a, 1a.

You're kidding, aren't you?

Your 4A and 5A champs had losses to 6A schools in the regular season that either didn't make the playoffs or were mercy-ruled in the playoffs.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on that Huge " Mismatch " win of yours . 37-27 ..... mismatch , easy win ... funny thing Is the more that you and Volunteercoach disrespect your opponent , the more you disrespect your own team . The more you put Maryville down , the cheaper your victory becomes . If your opponent was that terrible , I guess it's no big deal that you won ... right ? Enjoy your huge 10 point " Mismatch " win , maybe next time you can "Act Like You've Been There Before" .

To the majority of the Classy White Station fans , I congratulate you , and hope you all enjoy your historical win .

I agree, there was NO mismatch. I don't see how anyone can look at Maryville's season and say a single thing against the way the got to the finals. They went trhough the "best of the best" by most people's account. BTY, looks like the poster you were referring to is out of Jackson......

I agree with you. We appreciate the congrats from the Maryville fans, you guys have been Champs over a long period of time, and your courteous remarks are appreciated. Trust me when I say that the vast majority of WSHS fans that Spartansfan and I know do know how to win, ( and lose ) , with class.

Congratulations to White Station!

Based on history -- both Maryville's incredible track record, and the champion usually coming from the "east" side of the bracket -- I fully expected the Rebels to win. White Station was undaunted by that history and played with tremendous confidence. So, again, congrats to the Spartans!

As for Maryville, I know their players and coaches are disappointed, but they had a tremendous season. Great job, and good luck to the seniors as they move forward to the next stage.

I don't condone negative comments, but in fairness, the first one from VolunteerCoach WAS a response to a disrespectful "first stone thrown" post by somebody with a "Maryville" address that Maryville would win 9 more games if they were played. JohnandJimmy replied that the poster wasn't a Maryville fan, i.e., just a Maryville resident. That makes it OK? (Wow, you really have a tight knit community when you know so much about a poster's background!) J&J, I would reverse your assertion and say, don't fool yourself into thinking that Maryville WOULD beat the "elite" D2 teams on a regular basis.

While I will not say that White Station will defeat Maryville, I will say that this is an intriguing matchup and a verrrrry tricky game for Maryville!

---------------------------------------------------------

Maryville is NOT a physically overpowering team, not by any stretch of the imagination. They are definitely no South Panola! Therefore, they will not be able to just line up and physically maul White Station all up and down the field, on both sides of the ball! Maryville's strength is execution, not muscle mass and beef. It is much easier, IMO, to overwhelm a team when you can just out-muscle them vs out-executing them.

White Station is no small, weak or sloppy team. Sure, they are widely considered to be the heavy underdog. Regardless on what one thinks of WS' opponents, WS did not get elected into the 6A Finals; they earned their (improbable) way into the Championship game by out-executing their 4 previous playoff opponents, when it mattered most--in the fourth quarter... White Station actually has a solid football team and is fully equipped and capable of defeating this Goliath of a team, Maryville.

Forget about all that comparative-score, "West Tennessee football" vs "East Tennessee football" crap. Football is all about matchups.

---------------------------------------------------

CAUTION #1: White Station actually matches up very well with Maryville! Anything can happen in this game. Don't be surprised....

CAUTION #2: Upsets happen in sports all the time. There are numerous examples...

-- I suggest that a large percentage of those "upsets" are the result of the so-called "heavy underdog" actually matching-up more favorably, with the "overwhelming favorite."

CAUTION #3: ( see "caution #1")

As a Memphis-area/West Tennessee fan, I'm just thankful that these Championship games are ultimately decided on the field, via playoff games, and not like that "BCS" nonsense of the (D1) College ranks! Here, underdogs get the chance to prove themselves.

--------------------------------------------------

White Station's upset victory over Maryville was a perfect illustration, IMO, of how one team's attributes can cause nightmares for another team. So, while I did not expect WS to actually defeat Maryville, I'm certainly not shocked.

Despite White Station's 10-point victory over Maryville, the difference between the disciplined play of Maryville and oft-undisciplined play of White Station shows that our Memphis teams (this type of stuff is typical of our Public teams, sadly) still have a lot of work to do, in that area....A WHOLE LOT! As a direct result of this differential, this game was much closer than it should have been! Thankfully for White Station, its superior talent, athleticism and speed combined to allow them to score enough points to offset the negative discipline issues.

At the end of the day, White Station was clearly....just way, way too much for Maryville to handle! Talent, athleticism and speed advantages can not be relied upon to consistently overcome undisciplined play, however, especially in Championship games.

Hopefully our Memphis area Coaches will aggressively deal with this key issue, going forward. If so, our teams will likely be able to win more Championships, consistently.

Great win by Memphis White Station, but there is clearly more detail work that needs to be done. Now is not the time for complacency!

I don't know that Maryville would win 9 times out of 10. I do think they could beat White Station if they played again. I don't think either team really outmatched the other. It was just that White Station stepped it up yesterday and Maryville did not. That was the worst game of Juhlin's (Maryville's QB) year. He was not accurate and threw 2 interceptions (he had only thrown 5 all year). In 9 games out of 10 Maryville will be clean and will not beat themselves. This game Maryville beat themselves with interceptions (and a fumble after an interception). White Station took advantage of those mistakes and won this game fair and square. They played great defense and their offense was something Maryville could not stop. White Station had what it took to win the game and they went out and did it. There really isn't much sense in speculating who would win if they played again. I know I did it, but that was just to say that Maryville was not outmatched. These teams were very evenly matched. It was a good game. A little frustrating for Maryville fans because we didn't play like ourselves, but all the credit goes to White Station. I applaud them. Congrats on your first gold ball!!

Hey let me say congrats to the White Station team....Not really an upset in my mind....I heard the MUS coach said they couldn't tackle #11 either.....I think they scored 35 on them....We were simply "out-athleted" as GQ said....

Now as to the WB poster......We all know he was pulling for WS because he had so many relatives on their team...... :popcorneater:....

Now as for Mairvul, this was a great year.....This "TEAM" came farther than any other I can remember....I congratulate these seniors on great careers and their future endeavors....But honestly this was one of the youngest Rebel teams in recent memory......I think 7 starters return on offense (5 sophs) and 6 on defense....And undefeated freshman and middle school teams are on the way.....The "machine" is getting ready to get restocked with more great young players......Most people did view this as a transition year....But these seniors just refused to believe that....57-3, 2 Gold balls and playin' every first weekend in December durin' your careers.....So guys we are proud of you....And underclassmen next season starts now!!!!

Go Rebs!!!!!

WS Rusing 390 Mville 155

Possession Time 28:55 19:05

1st Quarter 5:32 6:28

2nd Quarter 8:22 3:38

3rd Quarter 8:46 3:14

4th Quarter 6:15 5:45

The score was 37 to 20 late in he 4th. At that point the game was over even though Mville scored again. Mville has nice passing stats. However, look at the TOM not to mention one player gaining about 300 yards on the ground. It looked like WS would say, lets just give the ball to Burton because no matter what Mville does or tries he is still going to do whatever he wants and score.

Again, WS made it look easy.

Hey let me say congrats to the White Station team....Not really an upset in my mind....I heard the MUS coach said they couldn't tackle #11 either.....I think they scored 35 on them....We were simply "out-athleted" as GQ said....

Now as to the WB poster......We all know he was pulling for WS because he had so many relatives on their team...... :thumb:....

Now as for Mairvul, this was a great year.....This "TEAM" came farther than any other I can remember....I congratulate these seniors on great careers and their future endeavors....But honestly this was one of the youngest Rebel teams in recent memory......I think 7 starters return on offense (5 sophs) and 6 on defense....And undefeated freshman and middle school teams are on the way.....The "machine" is getting ready to get restocked with more great young players......Most people did view this as a transition year....But these seniors just refused to believe that....57-3, 2 Gold balls and playin' every first weekend in December durin' your careers.....So guys we are proud of you....And underclassmen next season starts now!!!!

Go Rebs!!!!!

Pretty crazy that 13-2 and a state-runner up is a rebuilding year.

I underestimated White Station. I knew they'd be athletic, but their coaches had a simple, but very effective game plan. I tip my visor to the White Station coaching staff. They came up with a gameplan that worked and adjusted when need be.

And, they caught every break....and you can never discount the importance of that in championship games. The bad snap on the punt that turned into a first down, the fumble on the int, the onside kick going 4 and a half yards.....at some point you just have to say "it ain't our night" and it definitely was White Station's.

As an "outsider" looking in, I'm going to put in my 2cents' worth:

Congratulations for both teams for making it to the championship game. I know that noone thought Murvul would make it that far; I'm assuming it was the same for WS.

Watching the game on tv last night, MHS definitely did not look like the Murvul we've seen before. From where I was sitting, it did appear that WS dominated. MHS had a really, really hard time tackling #11 & #4. I was yelling at the tv, willing MHS to tackle them, but I guess they couldn't hear me!

WS had some talented players that were amazing to watch. Something just didn't appear to be clicking with MHS. I was proud of the MHS players when they held up the silver ball just like it was the gold. You guys went a lot farther than most people thought you would. I was hoping GQ would be able to pull it off, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Congratulations again to both teams for a remarkable season!