Can the Wing T win a title

diggerdog

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A message yesterday got me curious and thought it a good topic. Can the wing t win a state title at the 5a/6a? Does anyone have an opinion about it?

sure it can...there are so many 'options' that can be envisioned here; backside passes, reverses, cramming the ball down the defense's throat with some quick, big boys up front...its all there......the key is to have a defense that compliments the offense..if your defense cannot keep the other team from scoring, nothing works.....my .02

Sure it can although I am younger and happen to be a fan of more modern wide open offenses, but I do think it can win titles. Dont think it can consistently though. You have to be able to pass out of it. I have seen many teams breeze through the regular season running it, but then get in the playoffs and get hammered b/c they ran into a defensive team that could make them one dimensional. ONe thing is for certain it is hard to stop if a team runs it right. I would agree that teams that run it right win alot of games, but then lose in the playoffs.

If I am not mistaken Webb has won a state title with the Wing T.

You are correct, Webb won it in 2006 running strictly the wing-t. They are in the Championship game again this year and still run the wing-t but they also mix in some mid-line veer running plays and throw the ball out of the wing-t and veer formations.

HHS won the 4A State Championship in 2003 against Morristown West running the Wing-T. However, HHS lost to Maryville in 2001 and 2002 in the 4A State Championship game running the Wing-T.

So, it CAN, but it is certainly not the most potent offense, in my opinion. Teams who are the most successful running it have great running backs and a VERY good defense.