Best QB?

classof2002

I wanted to expand on an earlier debate that came up between some fans. In my view there were 4 QB's this season in the Knox. County and surrounding area that really had stand out seasons. They were Philip Juhlin (Maryville), Darion Stone (Clinton), Tanner Williams (Anderson County), and Reese Browning (Farragut). These four QB's all had incrediable seasons, but my question is where would you rank these 4 outstanding QB's? Who's the best out of the 4? If you were starting your own team, which one would you pick first and why? I thought this would be a great debate so voice your thoughts.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough question because all are very different styles of quarterbacks, and yes, I have seen all 4 play more than once.

The best athlete in the group, without question, is Stone. He can outrun the defense, or throw it over the defense. The only "knock", if you will is his height. That is what has kept him from being a big time QB recruit, from what I am told by those close to the Clinton program. He's just not big enough to see over the offensive linemen in a pro-style offense. He'll do well in a system that can roll him out, or some type of spread, in my opinion.

The best "quarterback", if you will, in my opinion is Juhlin. He runs the Maryville offense as well as any QB that the Rebels have had, and they have had some very good quarterbacks during this run. He knows how to win and he knows how to put his offense in a position to make plays.

Williams runs that Davey Gillum offense very well. He's not the most talented of that group, but he certainly is able to put up numbers. That's impressive.

I don't think we know for sure how good Browning really could have been because of the injury. He never played at 100% this year.

They're all very good high school QBs. Stone doesn't use all his talents to his full advantage because he doesn't want to be pigeonholed as a "running QB." That approach hurt his team against AC in the playoffs. When he did run he was very hard to stop for a small gain. I know Stone is a senior and I think Juhlin and Browning are as well. So I guess that leaves Williams as the sole junior in the bunch and he's still growing. If he does continue to grow, he'll make a nice college QB at a mid-major school that runs the spread.

I figured there would be more than 2 respones to this question! I guess most of the fans have gave up on Coach T's message board until next season! Well here is my take on the subject. I would list the four QB's as followed: Stone, Juhlin, Browning, Williams. I say this not because I'm a Clinton fan, but because stone brings so much to the table with his arm strengh and athletic ability. Although all 3 bring different things to the table I would still take Stone first. Juhlin brings his great leadership, and game mangement to the table, he is by far the best field generel that I have seen play, but I still feel like Williams that he benefits greatly from the awsome system he plays in. Browning is a pure pocket passer with great arm strengh and accuracy, but stone has similar skills but is a much better athlete. Williams runs Gilliams offense to a T, but watching him play, he struggles sometimes making some of the longer throws. I say this because he had Josh Wilson to throw to, and a lot of times his deep passes floated for a long time. If you really watched him, most of his throws were short throws, screens, bubbles ect. But he is only a junior so to be compared to the other 3 is very impressive, and he will once again have a monster year next year. All four are great players, but Stone is the best of the 4.

I figured there would be more than 2 respones to this question! I guess most of the fans have gave up on Coach T's message board until next season!

I think that's probably it. I didn't actually hazard a guess on how I'd rank them as I didn't see Juhlin or Browning play. I think you and HTV both make good points on their relative strengths and weaknesses.

It is significant, though, that Williams has another year to develop. His dad, who is around 6'-4," is about 2-3 inches taller than Tanner and I'm told that as a freshman Tanner really hadn't fully hit puberty. Also, his arm strength got exponentially better between his SO to JR year. So, his upside is pretty sweet.

Stone is an awfully good one. Is there any word about where he, Juhlin and Browning are going to go to college?

Personally, being in Middle Tn, I haven't heard of these guys. Are any of them getting looks from D1 programs? D2? I know Reid Gurchiek at Mount Juliet is getting some D2 looks and even some small D1's (Western KY). He's a heck of a QB and an even better LB. He isn't in East Tn but he is a godd player, too bad they lost in round 1, more people should have seen him play.

I figured there would be more than 2 respones to this question! I guess most of the fans have gave up on Coach T's message board until next season!

I think that's probably it. I didn't actually hazard a guess on how I'd rank them as I didn't see Juhlin or Browning play. I think you and HTV both make good points on their relative strengths and weaknesses.

It is significant, though, that Williams has another year to develop. His dad, who is around 6'-4," is about 2-3 inches taller than Tanner and I'm told that as a freshman Tanner really hadn't fully hit puberty. Also, his arm strength got exponentially better between his SO to JR year. So, his upside is pretty sweet.

Stone is an awfully good one. Is there any word about where he, Juhlin and Browning are going to go to college?

I think Stone is in the East/West game along with Parrott from Soddy who threw for over 5,000 yds and over 50 td's in two years. Should be alot of balls in the air in this game.

Here is the break down of the QB's in the Knoxville area.

Tyler Williams - Catholic 101-187 1412 5-TD 3-int with a 54% and had 45 running atts for 86 yards and 3-TD

Reese Browning- Farragut 116-171 1624 14-TD 4-int with a 68% and had 9 running atts for -24 yards and 0-TD

Darion Stone- Clinton 101-183 1684 17-TD 0-int with a 55% and had 90 running atts for 571 yards and 10-TD

Tanner Williams - Anderson County 204-323 3047 26-TD 11-int with a 63% and had 59 running atts for -43 yards 2-TD

Philip Juhlin - Maryville 113-155 1628 17-TD 1-int with a 73% and had 83 running atts for 384 yards and 4-TD

Tanner Williams is only a Jr. the rest are Sr.

I have watched Philip Juhlin, Reese Browning, Tyler Williams in live action and watched Darion Stone and Tanner Williams on TV. If I had to pick the best of these it would go something like this: Philip Juhlin, Darion Stone (is also a very good looking FS), Tanner Williams, Tyler Williams (is also a very good looking FS not afraid to hit you), Reese Browning. I would have loved to see Darion Stone play at Farragut with that spread offense and have Lee and the Allen kid to throw to plus with all Farragut's running backs they had with his speed and being able to move in the pocket.

Zach Tate of Columbia has the big time arm...he's not that tall though

definitely more talented than the Anderson Co qb...though the AC system

is certainly quarterback friendly cause they pass every play

It's pretty amazing watching a high school kid who has an NFL arm. Not saying he could ever play at that level, at 6', but I've seen plenty of 60 plus in the air passes this past season to know he has one of the best arms anywhere. When he cranks down on it, I've been told he can throw it 75 yards, during practice and so forth. Though only 6', he has extremely long fingers and wraps the ball up like a softball or something, which allows him to throw it even in the pouring down rain and cold. Hopefully we can keep the ball out of the Beach teams hands long enough to see some good throws.

Can't wait to hear which school takes him. I've heard 8 are looking close. Don't know the details.

Do