Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

We've already been through this FB. And I think it was in this thread. But IMO it is not a good thing. Jack has been crying forever for a city league to compare to the optimist league in the county. Well, this is the answer. It is set to destroy the county league. And will interfere with Middle School ball as well. The long term mentality of the purveyors of this league is to eventually dismantle the current organized football league as we know it. To create a traveling league for football that will more or less take football into a realm of AAU'ish type competition. That works fine for ALL other sports...except Football. I think we all understand why.

We've already been through this FB. And I think it was in this thread. But IMO it is not a good thing. Jack has been crying forever for a city league to compare to the optimist league in the county. Well, this is the answer. It is set to destroy the county league. And will interfere with Middle School ball as well. The long term mentality of the purveyors of this league is to eventually dismantle the current organized football league as we know it. To create a traveling league for football that will more or less take football into a realm of AAU'ish type competition. That works fine for ALL other sports...except Football. I think we all understand why.

tricitiessports brought it up in an article recently and I wanted to discuss it comp. It seems to me that something like this would leave open far too much of a chance to have some...how do we say it...recruiting to happen.

FB, I think it is much more far reaching than that. I am not opposed to more teams with more playing time for more players but I am opposed to diluting the the talent to where the level of competition is reduced. Their argument is the more opportunity the better the results. On the surface that is one thing. But it is in direct conflict with Optimist ball. And it is being pushed by powerful people with money. It will succeed. I don't like it and I'm glad my son is not in the 5th grade. Grahm Clark and Stacy have endorsed it and I understand why. Johnson City and Kingsport City do not have competitive elementary programs. But the Optimist program has been around for decades and is doing just fine. The coaches are wonderful and the finished product is amazing. I see no reason why these two cities could not endeavor into these programs. IMO they just want to reinvent the wheel. But there is a much larger mentality at work here. Keep digging and you will find what you want to know.

I was wondering what you all thought of that Tennessee Delta..whatever.. that seems to be going on at DB South SH and North? So seems like you have four programs where they are taking their pick of the best 6-12 year olds and funnelling them to whatever high school they represent? I am not totally sure about that but it sure seems like a way for everyone else who doesn't make those teams to really lose interest in football. Not really sure how I feel about it but I know you all have talked about that before.

former blazer,

Make no mistake they are coming after the Gray kids also. There isn't a kid, especially if he's talented, in the tri-cities area they won't try to recruit.

What bothers me the most is the funneling of kids to the cities schools that is almost certainly going to happen. I've already been told about how awesome the city school's facilities are compared to the county schools and will guarantee you more than a few county parents and players exposed to this will easily be recruited to the schools with the best facilities.

If I were thinking about signing my kid up for this team though, I'd do a little fact checking with some of the names listed as advisors and see just how much they are actually involved with it prior to jumping on board.

I still don't see it hurting the Optimist program in Colonial Heights though, (at least in the near future) as most of the parents I've spoken to realize it's the old Fordtown program with a new name and a much better advertising agency.

Actually I've been pushing for a city league to compair to the Maryville system, not the optimist league. The optimist league has never produced a state champion.

I am all for getting kids involved in new leagues, but I am just wondering if some of these "Great players" can even afford the $100 it will cost to play, plus travel, etc, etc. I heard that there is another league that is trying to get together some AAU travelling teams for high school players, which would make them not elligable to even play at high school.

Mast, you've already engraved your own tombstone. All you are doing now is shoveling dirt on yourself. Quit while you are ahead. Your choices are to quietly reevaluate or to come out swinging. Pride is one thing...finesse is another. Take note: There is only one Jack on this board

You have proven my point, Exactly. Loyalty beyond reason or common sense. This is what will send South football to the basement for years to come. You just don't see it. It will be the devout that will be yelling the loudest come about.............October. Too bad for the players. As far as giving me choices: Puleaseeeeeeeee!

well seeing as how this has turned into another drama fest and empty promises, I guess let me try to turn things back on the right course.

Word from the South camp is the conditioning and off-season workouts have picked up quite a bit with Coach Haynie out to prove everyone wrong.

The DB camp is looking to rebound back pretty strong as well. Good words from everyone thus far.

TN High has been quiet, but I would suspect that they will be competitive this year. South vs TN High should be a great game to watch week 10.

All is quiet in Boone as well, with the only words being that there is a lot of talent working round the clock to improve.

SH apparently has enough confidence to go around, so I am sure that the feeling with anyone around the JC crew is pretty positive.

Nothing at all from Central, Volunteer, or Crockett.

Overall words, conference will be up in 6A and about the same in 5A with some switching around. Good looks from the conference overall.

Confident is probably a good word for S-Hill this 2010 season. I will go ahead and say in 2011, S-Hill will be VERY CONFIDENT!

Wow, already looking at 2011? Might as well go ahead and tell us how the 7th graders do this next year and let us take a look at 2014.

Start with this season and have success first. If you don't have much success this year, you will be hard to even think about 2011 yet.

Confident is probably a good word for S-Hill this 2010 season. I will go ahead and say in 2011, S-Hill will be VERY CONFIDENT!

Wow, already looking at 2011? Might as well go ahead and tell us how the 7th graders do this next year and let us take a look at 2014.

Start with this season and have success first. If you don't have much success this year, you will be hard to even think about 2011 yet.

I was just giving my opinion! And you want to be a smart***! This is why I don't come here very often. Have a nice day :roflol:

I was just giving my opinion! And you want to be a smart***! This is why I don't come here very often. Have a nice day :wacko:

Ah let's call it lovingly jabbing at SH...somewhat like the South/DB relationship. I think you all should have some confidence, but the best confidence of all is results.