Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

Comp,I can't dream of Steele or any other star going to another team this year.All of them knew last year would be a rebuilding team and this year could be back to normal for the Tribe. It would be like asking Bobby to come back to us last year after working so hard at South.The changes I'm sure are to try and level a very lopsided playing field when we meet the giants around Knoxville and beyond come playoff time.Maryville was young last year and nearly won the state in 6A,so we know it is going to be near impossible to line straight up with them this year and not have every weapon on both sides of the ball and try anything we can to get better.Now,if I had a kid that wasn't going to see much of the field for DB or South,I would send him to North in a heartbeat.

Batman, I was being facetious. But a bit serious in the same breath. Of course he would not leave. Nor would have the Deuce. But with CS, the Transfer, and Swafford waiting in the wings I just don't see Clark throwing the ball that much. If at all. Nor do I see he will need to. I only see one problem with this offense for DB and that is the QB. The QB is crutial in the triple option. And not for his ability to throw the ball. As far as teams on down the road the problem will be identical with all. Most (not all) kids these days have no experience with the triple option whatsoever...O or D. In the 60's & 70's (when i played) it was the status quo'. So every D was well schooled in it's mentality. Mostly because it's what you saw in practice every day. I personally hate the offense. But it is in fact the alter-ego of Stacy Carter's spread read option machine. Quick count, slow count, shifting...these are all part of the psychology of this offense. If I were an Indian I would be in anticipation of a record season. It definately raises the stakes for this season in the Big 8. Defense just became the name of the game.

Crystal Balls, Pipe Dreams, Wishfull Thinking, Ifs, Ands & Buts are making up these last few pages. And Batman please stop making these schools to the west out to be "God-Like". DB is capable of beating anybody in the state most years. We're not out of their league by any means.

Batman, I was being facetious. But a bit serious in the same breath. Of course he would not leave. Nor would have the Deuce. But with CS, the Transfer, and Swafford waiting in the wings I just don't see Clark throwing the ball that much. If at all. Nor do I see he will need to. I only see one problem with this offense for DB and that is the QB. The QB is crutial in the triple option. And not for his ability to throw the ball. As far as teams on down the road the problem will be identical with all. Most (not all) kids these days have no experience with the triple option whatsoever...O or D. In the 60's & 70's (when i played) it was the status quo'. So every D was well schooled in it's mentality. Mostly because it's what you saw in practice every day. I personally hate the offense. But it is in fact the alter-ego of Stacy Carter's spread read option machine. Quick count, slow count, shifting...these are all part of the psychology of this offense. If I were an Indian I would be in anticipation of a record season. It definately raises the stakes for this season in the Big 8. Defense just became the name of the game.

The Real Deal Derick Steele will make all kinds of plays this year for the Indians... on both sides of the ball. DB won a Passing Tournament this weekend, a 7 on 7 and that is not the offensive strength. Science Hill showed up, why would the pass happy Rebels not play? Just Curious about that... trying not to show everybody what they have? DB won't throw the ball 10 time a game on average this year, but Sean Seabolt will be a very good QB for the Indians, passing or not. He can run the option and he is fast. 8 weeks, 4 days.

Roll Tribe Roll

The Real Deal Derick Steele will make all kinds of plays this year for the Indians... on both sides of the ball. DB won a Passing Tournament this weekend, a 7 on 7 and that is not the offensive strength. Science Hill showed up, why would the pass happy Rebels not play? Just Curious about that... trying not to show everybody what they have? DB won't throw the ball 10 time a game on average this year, but Sean Seabolt will be a very good QB for the Indians, passing or not. He can run the option and he is fast. 8 weeks, 4 days.

Roll Tribe Roll

Art, you are correct, Steele will be a playmaker this year. But, I'd be tempted to get Foreman some touches at QB if I were GC if you're going to commit to run an option style offense in the future. If not, get Cook some touches and move Foreman to wideout.

Crystal Balls, Pipe Dreams, Wishfull Thinking, Ifs, Ands & Buts are making up these last few pages. And Batman please stop making these schools to the west out to be "God-Like". DB is capable of beating anybody in the state most years. We're not out of their league by any means.

DB very well could have beat anyone several years and nearly done it three of them since the playoff system begain.However,we don't need to look very far west to find a "Demigod-Like" team this year,they live in the little town of Maryville.They have fine athletes and without question one of the best coaches in the state.I ''all to well'' know the quality of athletes and coaches that DB has,but allso know it will take some "good luck" along with a great team to do what hasn't been done in nearly forty years in this area.Comp,Derick has been greatest on the defensive side, but I can see his speed being used in so many ways with our offense this year.He can take the quick "out pass " anytime or run the ball coming around in a misdirection play,plus he can spread the field like very few.

Batman, I agree with Art and you that Steele is a playmaker. But, I recall in the past what has happened when Clark got a new transfer that was heavily hyped. I think back to Marchez Barnes and watched two other qualified DB skill players take a back seat while he carried the torch. All I'm saying is this new offense is definately not designed to quantify Steele's offensive prowess. Hence my conclusion.