Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

It seems to me that the non conference schedules tell a tale. DB, by far has the most intimidating non-con schedule. Followed by a distant Science Hill. Then at a true third is South. A distant tie for fourth and fifth place is owned by the Vikings and the 'Blazers with possibly the Musketteers having the cuhiest schedule by the slightest margin. The Indians will be battle stained from the get go. South and Science Hill are at least trying to play big buy raising the stakes to run with Highland High. But a start for the Island with Soddy Daisy and week 0 for the Rebels with Knox West does not hold a candle to Farragut and Clinton back to back in week 0 and 1 for the Indians. As always I expect Clark and Stubbs to sandbag heavily in the Jamboree which is just around the corner.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me that the non conference schedules tell a tale. DB, by far has the most intimidating non-con schedule. Followed by a distant Science Hill. Then at a true third is South. A distant tie for fourth and fifth place is owned by the Vikings and the 'Blazers with possibly the Musketteers having the cuhiest schedule by the slightest margin. The Indians will be battle stained from the get go. South and Science Hill are at least trying to play big buy raising the stakes to run with Highland High. But a start for the Island with Soddy Daisy and week 0 for the Rebels with Knox West does not hold a candle to Farragut and Clinton back to back in week 0 and 1 for the Indians. As always I expect Clark and Stubbs to sandbag heavily in the Jamboree which is just around the corner.

I dunno about TN High's non conference. Aren't they playing Greenville one of those weeks? #1 team in 4A ain't too shabby of a game. Everything else seems about right. Cherokee will probably be the toughest pick up game, and while I think Boone will have them handedly this year, Cherokee will make some noise next year. I am with you on DB, they have the toughest schedule this year.

Can't really argue about the difficulty of the non-conference opponents. Tennessee prefers rivalries over competition, although one rival has never defeated them on the field and the other hasn't done so in about 13 years. East lost a lot of seniors and shouldn't give Tennessee too much of a problem, however; I was wrong last year in predicting that they would have a good year. One would think you would improve when you only lose about 5 or 6 players. It turns out that they ended up losing their best two players before Week 2; one changed schools while the other suffered a broken leg in Week 1. Virginia High should be better this year and we may get to see how good of a coach Thurman is. It didn't hurt that he had those great quarterbacks at Gretna. The Greeneville fans were pleased with their scrimmage against Mo'West and I recognize a few of the playmakers from last year that are returning. But looking at the roster, Greeneville will have a very small senior class coming up this season.

DB's non-conference schedule will be the toughest, but not as tough as it would normally be in my opinion. Farragut is expected to be down. Clinton had one their best teams in several years, but can they reload and have a great team again this year? In all likelihood, Sevier County will down as well. DB's opening game with Farragut will be one to see. Even if Farragut is worse than they've been in recent years, the Admirals usually field a tough football team. I believe DB should be able to handle their other opponents unless they lose in upset, possibly against a Big 8 foe.

• Upvote 1

The Hill will handle Central rather well in the jamboree. :rolleyes:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and ruffle some of the preseason Boone predictions on here by stating ->>> There is no way that Boone will be as good as last year. Most don't realize how much was lost on Boone's Defense when the Boone Middle Linebacker graduated along with his Defensive End and Running Back/Outside Linebacker teammates. NO player on their team will fill their shoes, period. Boone will be 6-4 at best this year. I will revisit this post for all to see at season end especially if they hit 5-5.

That's a pretty thick limb Plainwht in my opinion... and I have to agree that they have lost more than they realize with the graduation of that ML #58. He single-handedly leveled the playing field in several games for the Trail Blazers. Every team had to come up with a game plan and make adjustments to defend against him last year. Trail Blazers are well coached and played with allot of heart last year, but I believe the cards are stacked against them in every other category. My opening conference standings will have them no better than 4th this year. DB will be the team to beat and I believe Stacy Carter will have a good showing this year and possibly give the Indians a run for their money. The Vikings will compete but they will have a tough time with the 6A teams this year.

That's a pretty thick limb Plainwht in my opinion... and I have to agree that they have lost more than they realize with the graduation of that ML #58. He single-handedly leveled the playing field in several games for the Trail Blazers. Every team had to come up with a game plan and make adjustments to defend against him last year. Trail Blazers are well coached and played with allot of heart last year, but I believe the cards are stacked against them in every other category. My opening conference standings will have them no better than 4th this year. DB will be the team to beat and I believe Stacy Carter will have a good showing this year and possibly give the Indians a run for their money. The Vikings will compete but they will have a tough time with the 6A teams this year.

Cap, I heard THS will scrimmage Knox West @ Carson Newman on Friday. Have you heard of any other scrimmages they have planned?

Capitanno...Nice to have you back. How are the young men? Not many Vikings here anymore. '04 comes around just to pay child support otherwise he steers clear of all the posturing. Anyway, it's almost football time in Tennessee.

Until the season starts, I'm usually just here as a spectator for the ongoing feud between South and DB. How are the Rebels shaping up this year?

Cap, I heard THS will scrimmage Knox West @ Carson Newman on Friday. Have you heard of any other scrimmages they have planned?

THS Scrimmages Know West this Friday at 10:00AM at Carson Newman. Next Friday is at THS vs. Johnson County...Then Jamboree vs South, and Powell Valley at THS that Friday and the august 16 is vs Abingdon at THS