biggest rule change in years

fblover

Keep in mind this rule is not from the umpires or TSSAA it is from the NATIONAL FEDERATION OF HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS. I have been a TSSAA umpire for 6 or 7 years and thinking back at no time would i have had to apply this rule to any coach. Most coaches handle themselves appropriatly when they disagree with a call and generally not an issue. So dont get yourselves all bent out of shape over this rule as you will see that it wont be an issue as most assistant coaches do not charge at umpires anyway

You must be one of the good ones that doesn't give anyone a reason to have an issue.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the sad thing about this rule is how will it be enforced? any one who has been to more than one baseball game in more than one town know that on Monday in Nashville an umpire will let an assistant talk to him about a call. The same assistant goes to a game on Tuesday in Jackson and as soon as he opens his mouth to say something, bang he is restricted along with the head coach.

I personally dont have a problem with the rule, my problem is it will be enforced differently at different games. This will be even more of a problem in postseason when the umps in your district allow some leeway and when you travel for a region game the umps call it stricter. I would hate to have this happen and a head coach and assistants have to let kids coach bases in a region final.

It goes back to the single most important thing a coach wants from umps: consistancy.

But, if the head coaches and assistants act the way they are supposed to, you don't have a problem of any kind.

In the post season, you will probably (hopefully) get the better umpires. They have probably called this rule consistantly for the entire season. The problem is that your mediocre umpires that the teams have played with probably were afraid to call it, so....

I am, in agreement about how coaches are supposed to act, but the way the rule is written, it leaves little room for interpretation, for example, if a 1st base coach takes a step out of the box to ask the base umpire if he can ask the plate umpire if the the first baseman pulled his foot off of the bag, both coaches are supposed to be confined. if he does this in a respectful manner, there has never been a problem in the past, but could be with some umpires who are more literal than others.

All the new rules they added this year is ruinin the game of baseball. Who cares if you argue calls throw the person out if it gets out of hand. Personally seeing a coach stand up for his team pumps the team up. All the umps are going to be different on the new rules especially the ones who are total a holes and make bad calls just cause he either has a grudge on the team or wants to see the other team win. The TSSAA should hire better umps if they are going to enforce these new rules.

All the new rules they added this year is ruinin the game of baseball. Who cares if you argue calls throw the person out if it gets out of hand. Personally seeing a coach stand up for his team pumps the team up. All the umps are going to be different on the new rules especially the ones who are total a holes and make bad calls just cause he either has a grudge on the team or wants to see the other team win. The TSSAA should hire better umps if they are going to enforce these new rules.

You may be an idiot.

1. Coaches can't argue judegment calls in high school baseball, it's against the rules.

2. Dumping the coach calls for a mandatory $250.00 fine for the coach and a 2-game suspension.

3. A coach "standing up for his team" is usually showing up the umpire. He should be dumped.

4. The umps won't be different on the new rule, just like fblover said, there is little room for interpretation, it's black and white.

5. Umpires don't hold grudges, they could care less who wins or loses.

6. Hiring better umps to enforce these new rules? That makes no sense.

if your an umpire and not good at your job then someone is going to get on you, I do agree some coaches do get out of hand, but it is usually due to a umpire with a attitude, caused either by past experiences or a lot of mouth that has been going most of the game, either from the parents or the players and it is almost always the team that is losing. but it is part of the game and always has been and it is part of the job if you cant take it then dont take on the job. if they are getting 60 and 70 a game then that is about 20 a hour I believe if you are making that much at a job and were not doing it well someone is going to get on you, I believe that the umps should be evaluated closer and directors should be a little more selective on who they use but in most cases they dont have the option to be selective, their is a shortage of quality umps. just because you call a few games in a 12 year old tourney in the summer does not qualify you to call varsity high school ball. you should have a minimum of 1 season at jv level and a evaluation before moving up, do your job well, build some experience, you get more money and a better position I believe that is how it works. as far as pitch count rule I agree with it because their are way too many kids getting surgery in high school compared to the past. some coaches will ride a quality pitcher way to long, have seen way too many pitchers as a freshman or sophomore with the chance to move to the next level by their senior year that cant throw as well as they did as a freshman, this would also give some of the less dominating pitchers a chance to develope as well.

Its hard to compare football officials to baseball. Try arguing balls and strikes in a baseball game and see what happens. Football officials, and basketball also, tend to listen to arguing more than baseball officials. MLB assistant coaches very rarely argue with an ump, its the managers job. Its been a unwritten rule for decades, now its in writing.

I disagree that MLB assistant coaches rarely argue with an ump. In almost all cases, the base coach initiates the arguement with the umpire and THEN the manager comes out of the dugout. It is very rare for an assistant to get in the face of an umpire and argue, but not to question.

Its hard to compare football officials to baseball. Try arguing balls and strikes in a baseball game and see what happens. Football officials, and basketball also, tend to listen to arguing more than baseball officials. MLB assistant coaches very rarely argue with an ump, its the managers job. Its been a unwritten rule for decades, now its in writing.

I disagree that MLB assistant coaches rarely argue with an ump. In almost all cases, the base coach initiates the arguement with the umpire and THEN the manager comes out of the dugout. It is very rare for an assistant to get in the face of an umpire and argue, but not to question.

First you disagree, then you say its very rare for them to argue? They may question but rarely argue.

Huge difference between questioning and argueing.

tnbigbear,

You said:

if your an umpire and not good at your job then someone is going to get on you, I do agree some coaches do get out of hand, but it is usually due to a umpire with a attitude, caused either by past experiences or a lot of mouth that has been going most of the game, either from the parents or the players and it is almost always the team that is losing. but it is part of the game and always has been and it is part of the job if you cant take it then dont take on the job.

You agree that some coaches get out of hand. Getting out of hand or arguing, on judgement calls, is against the rules. The umpires I have seen usually don't have a problem with the fans, it's a coach coming out to argue a judgement call, which violates the rules in all codes of baseball. The umps shouldn't have to take it, they should eject the coach. If the coach does enough to be restricted, he's done enough to be ejected in my opinion.

You said:

if they are getting 60 and 70 a game then that is about 20 a hour I believe if you are making that much at a job and were not doing it well someone is going to get on you

I don't know what you make, but I wouldn't work my regular job for only $20/hour.

You said:

I believe that the umps should be evaluated closer and directors should be a little more selective on who they use but in most cases they dont have the option to be selective, their is a shortage of quality umps.

You're kind of arguing with yourself. You stated why evaluators and directors can't be more selective, the talent pool of quality umps is too small.

You said:

as far as pitch count rule I agree with it because their are way too many kids getting surgery in high school compared to the past. some coaches will ride a quality pitcher way to long, have seen way too many pitchers as a freshman or sophomore with the chance to move to the next level by their senior year that cant throw as well as they did as a freshman, this would also give some of the less dominating pitchers a chance to develope as well.

Bull. How many kids are getting surgery due to throwing too much? Very few, I would say. And, there are dang few HS pitchers that can't throw better as seniors than they did as freshmen. That makes no sense. And as far as moving to the next level, less than 5% of HS pitchers move on to the next level anyway, so you're worrying about nothing.

The original topic was assistant coaches, along with their head coaches, being restricted for arguing a call. I think the actual rule is if the assistant leaves their coaches box to argue a call, or something to that effect. What's wrong with that rule? Assistants aren't supposed to do anything but tell the runner to go to 2nd, tell the runner to get back on a pickoff, and collect batting gloves. The assistant coaches arguing was obviously a problem or the rule wouldn't have been put in place.

• 4 weeks later...

About pitch count limits...

Sad to think that a few coaches (that don't "get" when their pitcher's had enough) have to be governed by a pitch count ruling because of the few that don't get it. I've seen both sides... If they have no prospect at making the Bigs, is it really worth their not being able to wipe their own noses (or butts) when they're over 30?

The coaches I know put it in perspective. I hate that the rest of them need a legal reminder