Best gym?

seriously

This thread can go in several different directions, but my vote for "best basketball gym" in the Mid-State is still Shelbyville Central. It was voted as one of the nation's top ten high school basketball venues by USA Today in 2004. For me - hard to top the days of "Rick's Grill," 110 straight wins and four consecutive state titles.

Forgot about Shelyville...it is a great venue.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackson County gym is 40 years old but very nice and been well maintained and refurbished a time or two.
Jackson Co. gym may be just fine on the home side. The visitor's seats are almost always filthy and not a very good place to watch a game from. Don't mean to start an argument or step on anyones toes. Just telling it like I see it.

senator wrote:Jackson County gym is 40 years old but very nice and been well maintained and refurbished a time or two.

rabbitranch wrote Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Jackson Co. gym may be just fine on the home side. The visitor's seats are almost always filthy and not a very good place to watch a game from. Don't mean to start an argument or step on anyones toes. Just telling it like I see it.

Agree. You cannot see the players and coaches from the visitors side and you are very far

away from the court. Other wise it's not too bad.

Summertown has the best high school setting. Sure it's an old facility, but the floor is kept so clean you could eat off it. The fans pack the gym for both the girls and boys games. It has the true

"Hoosiers" feel. I wish we played there every year.

It's nice if you enjoy playing "Rollerball" instead of Basketball. Out-of-Bounds is when you slam into a wall. Players on the bench have to keep their feet under their seats or they will trip players on the court.

I used to love playing in and still love going to games in some of the older gyms. They don't always have all of the comforts of some of the new ones, but you can't replace the character and atmoshphere of the old places. Summertown is definitely the first that comes to mind, also White County. Does Oak Ridge still play in its old gym? I haven't been up there in a few years but enjoyed it as well.