District 13AA Tournament Bracket

GCPioneer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also like to say that games like this are what is going to implement the shot clock into Tennessee high school basketball. Imagine a state tournament game being played like this in front of thousands of people and several TSSAA representatives. Do you not think they're going to want to get rid of stall ball? I'm not knocking Westview with this post as this is the first time I've ever seen Westview do this. However, I see Single A schools in our area do this every game! It's a great game plan for now, however on down the road if a shot clock becomes involved, what's going to happen?

Thanks for the updates SLS. Keep them coming.

Holding the ball is horse%$^@! I understand its a big game but holding the ball is saying I can't beat the other team. Why am I not surprised that this is happening.

You know what's horse%$^@, CIM? Throwing a game like Obion did tonight. People missed church and had to pay money to see that mess. It was completely embarrassing. Westview's game plan was ingenious. Oh, I get it, maybe they need to recruit like the others??? Why don't you and sls figure a way to beat Gibson since all you want to do is hammer Westview. At least they were honest and played their hearts out tonight.

Holding the ball is horse%$^@! I understand its a big game but holding the ball is saying I can't beat the other team. Why am I not surprised that this is happening.

You know what's horse%$^@, CIM? Throwing a game like Obion did tonight. People missed church and had to pay money to see that mess. It was completely embarrassing. Westview's game plan was ingenious. Oh, I get it, maybe they need to recruit like the others??? Why don't you and sls figure a way to beat Gibson since all you want to do is hammer Westview. At least they were honest and played their hearts out tonight.

the way i see one team didnt want to win and the other didnt think they could win, either way i wouldnt say that either team was really deserving of praise. if your obion, you dont know who is going to win the championship, so why not try to gain some momentum and win tonight, and westview return basically the same team from the state semis and felkt they had to resort to stalling to have a chance to beat gc. all in all i think tonight proves that everybody in 13aa still feels that gc is the best team. that being said, any of these three teams have a legitamate shot at making a run and winning it all.

They were without Fussell (hurt ankle) and Pate...

Five dollars says that ankle is better Friday, lol. :evil:

GC you know it will be. ^_^

Something sure sounds "fishy" based on what I read here and hear from informed people who attended this game.

I would bet OBC is at 100% on Friday.

That strategy could come back to bite them.

Knowbody is questioning the effort of Westview, but when your best player only takes five or six shots the whole game and ends up with less than 5 points, your not going to win many games.

I listened to the OC and WV coaches on the radio after the game.

OC said that Fussell hurt her foot in December and has been wearing a boot most of the time between games anyway. The Dr's said she would be half speed both Wed and Fri if she played and full speed Fri if she didn't. Sounds reasonable. His coaching is suspicious to say the least. As close as they were to winning he called few timeouts and never got upset. It is my opinion, and only my opinion, he's happy as a clam today that he lost.

As for WV he said that nothing else had seemed to work over the last few years so he thought he'd try something different. Reasonable also. And as said earlier in this post a prime example of why the shot clock is coming. My outlook on his attempt is that if you think you're a championship team play like one. Don't play scared.

WV and OC are both great teams and give us (GC) fits no matter what the final score is. I have the utmost respect for both teams. As hard as they play us I hate that any team has to lose.

As for the coaches. Not so much.

Quit crying about paying your money to watch...nobody made you pay it!

It was only a matter of time before someone tried to hold the ball against Gibson Co. They are the BEST team in AA, hands down. Have they lost over 1 game in 2 years? I think that Coach Stephenson had a great game plan. You might can beat GC if each team has about 10-15 possessions, but if each team has it 75 times...you have no chance to beat them. If Westview had gotten ahead by 5 points, the ole noose on the neck would have tightened up a little.

The Obion Co game, who knows what happened, if she was only going to be 50% on Friday if she played last night, then the right choice was made. THIS GAME MEANT NOTHING! THE NEXT ONE WILL END SOMEONE'S SEASON! Until the TSSAA only takes 3 teams from the district to the regional tournament, people will continue to speculate as to what the truth is....had OC won that game, I gotta feeling that nobody would have really cared about winning the championship game :evil: Bottom line is, what is your program trying to win? Some are content with a district title, others want the big prize in March.

I like the idea of 3 from districts advancing....speculation like this happens at least 4-5 times every year. And certainly happens when you have 3 great teams in one district...Hopefully 2 of these 3 can play in the Boro against each other, and maybe Westview can hold the ball against GC and win 9-7 and steal a gold ball...that would get the states attention!

I have a few questions. Was the MVP Fussell got for the season or the tournament? If it was for the season, why was there no tournament MVP? And, if it was for the tournament, how could she win when she didn't even play in the last game, which was the consolation game, and they ended up 4th? I thought there was usually a tournament MVP. ^_^ Also, how does the 4th place team get coach of the year? :evil:

I have a few questions. Was the MVP Fussell got for the season or the tournament? If it was for the season, why was there no tournament MVP? And, if it was for the tournament, how could she win when she didn't even play in the last game, which was the consolation game, and they ended up 4th? I thought there was usually a tournament MVP. ^_^ Also, how does the 4th place team get coach of the year? :evil:

Fussell was chosen the MVP for the season. Voted on by the COACHES. Coach Larue was selected by his peers for the season, the COACHES from 13AA. If you have a problem, take it up with THEM, not the player or coach. Coaches are not allowed to vote for anyone on their own team.

First of all, congrats to GC for securing another District win. Well deserved!!! As far as the OC vs. Haywood game, not surprised really. I often wonder why high school sports seem to have unwritten rules that differ from sports on other levels. I am referring to the OC vs. Haywood game. If we all recall, we witnessed the Indianapolis Colts this year sit starters and give up a perfect season only to fall short of the main prize. But in the Colt's coaching staff's eyes, this was the best route for them to get to the Superbowl. That part worked. I am not sure if the OC coach threw this game, but if he did, should he be faulted for doing what he was hired to do and that is to get to the 'boro' any way he sees fit. Sure it may backfire, but it also may work. I am pretty sure the OC coach realizes his team is more likely to beat Westview (no easy task!!) on any given night than GC. We will have to wait until the tourneys unfold before those questions are answered.

One other issue. I can't believe the outstanding talent that we are witnessing in West Tennessee right now in girls basketball. Heather Butler (a class act!!!), Chassidy Fussell, and Amber Rechis. There will not be three of this caliber coming through at the same time for some time to come. I have a problem with the fan's reaction to Fussell. Everyone understands her demeanor on the court and it does rub some people the wrong way. But respect her basketball abilities and the time she puts in to practicing (I hear she is in the gym all the time). The BOO's are uncalled for players of this talent level. I couldn't believe I noticed an older gentleman wearing a Westview shirt last night at OC clapping and yelling comments toward Fussell as she walked in front of him. That was classless. I thank each of you talented players for allowing me to see your hard-earned talents. I hope you three I mentioned, as well as others I could mention, go on to be huge successes!!!!