Gibson Co. v. CPA, quarterfinals

GCPioneer

All I can say right now folks is it's a 3 game tourney. Any arrogant posts you may be seeing on here about Gibson Co. are probably posters who don't know the history. I for one take nothing for granted, because I've seen it all first hand. Anything can happen and through my 15 some odd years following Gibson Co. I have seen it all!!! We have brought strong teams up there several times....including an undefeated team and went home after 1 game. Twice beaten on game winning shots..... At this point all 8 teams who are there have the ability to run the table. (my opinion)

We will see what happens Wednesday. I for one though will be pulling for Gibson Co. Let's lace 'em up and see what happens! :thumb:

Just one word CLASS :thumb:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not ony a very good thread but very informative. I would hope that somewhere on this site that all of the coaches on AA in the State will be identified and if appropriate the assistant coaches also.

Full disclosure: I am not associated with CPA as a coach in any form or fashion. Just a fan of girl's bball since the 6 on 6 days in the '70s and a fan of CPA in particular. I am a big fan of CPA Coach Ellison and his staff. They have done a great job and are deserving of the Coach of the Year award that he recently received in District 10AA. I hope my nickname did not mislead anyone.

Sorry. I guess you couldn't tell I had my tounge in my cheek!

Gibson has a great team I am sure, but CPA will play hard. Of the four losses, two were to AAA teams. Quality wins include Ensworth (DII state champs) and FRA (DII runner up - small division), Forrest-twice (ranked #2 in A), Ezell-Harding (ranked #4 in DII), Macon County (ranked in top 5 AA most of the year). Two losses in the district which includes Libscomb, East Literature and Hume-Fogg. Generally considered well coached with strong programs.

What I want to know is how Obion County beat Gibson County. If I remember correctly, it was double digits.

Obion Central would probably be the second or third best team in this field....They were #1 for a week, got bumped by McMinn without losing a game and then stayed around the #2 ranking the rest of the season...

To the person who said GC was 57-1 the last two years....Actually it is 67-1 and over the last three years they are 94-7 with three straight tournament appearances...

sorry you are correct on that, i wasnt completely sure and was to lazy to look it up :lol:

obion played an outstanding game and macy right could not miss a shot that night and gibson had a really off night. obion is a really good team and its sad that one of these three teams had to be eliminated so early. westview and gc just had the experience that i think made the difference. on to this game i think that gc will win but im nottreally sure about what kind of team cpa has. the way gc is playing right now i dont see anyone beating htem unless they help them out with mistakes. GC by 15

I will tell you one thing about CPA.. they are very well coached. There were teams in their district that probably had more athleticism and talent, but their coach had them prepared for every game with the perfect game plan to frustrate their opponents. They are very disciplined players that listen to their coach, and do not make many mistakes.

They have a balanced attack of strong inside play and reboundind, and are very productive from outside the arch. They are tough to defend. Man-to-man opens up the lane, and zone opens up the three point game.

I've always rooted for one of their arch-rivals, but I must say it is nice to see this group who has persevered and worked so hard to make it this far.

I've gotta pull for CPA! Make Nashville proud girls!!

This is probably the most interesting of the Round one matchups in 2A. CPA is well known for being a fundamentally sound program and is well coached and will make a tough foe for anyone in the field.

Gibson Co. are the defending state champs. Have 3 Division 1 players who've signed to continue their basketeball careers at UT-Martin (Butler,Griffin & Reedy) and haven't lost much from last year's undefeated team. :lol:

Yes- they do have one loss on the docket this season which was at home vs. Obion Central. I'd dare say that's the most complete game OC played the entire season as they had to vs. a Very good team.

It was tied at 34 at halftime and Sophomore Macy Wright had a career night with 28 points, most of which came in the 2nd half and the OC guards held Miss Basketball Finalist Heather Butler to just one field goal in the 2nd half after she had 15 points at halftime. It should also be noted that Aubrey Reedy was plagued with foul trouble in the game and picked up her fourth foul in the 3rd qtr. and sat until about the half way point of the fourth qtr. while OC increased the lead to double digits. Lady Rebs won 69-56 and this was in late January. :|

I say all of that- to say this- from that point on, Gibson County has been extremely focused and came in to the District 13AA tourney at OCCHS on a mission. Very buisnesslike in the first two wins and turned back Westview 39-32 in the district finals in a game that was dictated by tempo in the first half ,

ball control and GC leading Da View 3-0 after one on a Heather Butler 3-pointer from around 27 feet.

GC ran through the Regionals and again defeated Westview in the finals 64-44 . Had no problem in the sectional and are poised to make another run in the BORO this week. Coach David Russell, a legend in high school hoops, had taken over as head coach after spending two years as an assistant to Kevin McMillan who has now taken over the women's program at UT-Martin.

One thing is certain and the Lady Pioneers were great at this in last year's state tourney- they play excellent team defense. In the half court or that great full-court press that Coach Russell has been famous for from back in his days at Bradford High School. Butler is an excellent defender, extremely quick and runs the offense well. Griffin and Reedy are double trouble inside and both can step out and hit the outside shots as well. Courtney Haynes is a Sophomore who can also hit the 3's and can make big shots in big games if to much attention is focused on the other 3. (just ask Westview) -

They'll play a couple of players off the bench and just try to rare teams down with their pressure.

Again- it's going to take a complete effort to knock Gibson County out of the tournament as the opposition must play mistake free basketball. No doubt in my opinion, the Lady Pioneers are the favorites coming in to the Class 2A field. :D

I am not a Gibson County fan but see them and others play often as I love sports. If you look at my past posts, I generally do not make statements like I am fixing to...............

GIBSON COUNTY GIRLS WILL NOT LOSE ANOTHER GAME.

Not trying to discount the others, but these girls are the whole enchilada!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an outsider on this game. Haven't got to see CPA this year, but I know they're solid and well-coached cause they always are and their schedule and success affirm it. However, I have saw GC play several times, and my gosh, they are dang good!!!! They are also extremely well coached. Heather Butler is not only very talented, but dang she's a scrapper, and Reedy and the other post are just nasty (in a good way). The little shooter (can't remember her name) can drop it from anywhere! If GC doesn't win the gold ball, I'll be shocked!

i think what really seperates gc from other teams is the ability of three different players to take over a game. lately its been the heather butler show but if you remember last year at the state tourney it was heather GRIFFIN that recieved the mvp award. and reedy is about a guarentedd double double every night and some night will come out a drop 25 or so. the thing is, you cant just leave everyone else alone, just ask manasas what courtney haynes will do if you let her shoot. i believe she had 5 three in the first half the other night against them. but as i have said before, teams dont get this far because they are a scared and not any good, anybody that makes it this far has the ability to beat ANYONE. :lol:

Wow, everyone is pretty high on GC this year, huh? I know one thing for sure, it's been a priveledge for me to get to watch these girls play for the last four years! I knew that Butler was going to be for real when she was playing Middle School basketball at Medina. She has a very strong work ethic and she shows it out on the court. These girls know nothing except to win.

Wow, everyone is pretty high on GC this year, huh? I know one thing for sure, it's been a priveledge for me to get to watch these girls play for the last four years! I knew that Butler was going to be for real when she was playing Middle School basketball at Medina. She has a very strong work ethic and she shows it out on the court. These girls know nothing except to win.

i think they way gc ran through the postseason last year and seem to be doing it again this year everyone feels that they are the favorite in every game they play. its really hard to argue that but remember last year marshal county was in the same situation and everyone knws what happened to them