Best SP game ever

OLD PIRATE

I look it up on the high school football web site.It says TT 12-1 in 2006.Does not say anything about a forfeit season.Their record book says ya lost.

What web site? The TSSAA busted the snot out of them for various infractions which resulted in the decision to disband the program by TT board. We lost 1 game, they lost the whole program.

Edit: I am pretty sure they got the region title stripped, 3 forfeits and banned from playoffs for 2 seasons in football. They disbanded after 2007 season where the were thumped 69-6.

Old Temple thread

unfortunately, many of the newspaper links are now dead.

Edited by rlh

Been watching the Pirates for a long time (from a distance) Watched many games in the early to mid 80's because my dad said, "it's the only good HS ball in Chattanooga area" I went onto RB and after that started watching it again around 93 or so mostly post season. Well you all know that my best SP game was last year....duh! Well two teams played their butts off for four quarters and I expect the same this coming year!

Go Eagles!!:thumb:

Been watching the Pirates for a long time (from a distance) Watched many games in the early to mid 80's because my dad said, "it's the only good HS ball in Chattanooga area" I went onto RB and after that started watching it again around 93 or so mostly post season. Well you all know that my best SP game was last year....duh! Well two teams played their butts off for four quarters and I expect the same this coming year!

Go Eagles!!:thumb:

Tradition is are tough componant to deal with and South Pittsburg takes tremendous pride in their program. Old Pirate says not many programs around have been as successful over the long haul. SP folkes live for futeball and sometimes it appears folkes take success for granted. OP agrees the 2010 game was great game for any fan to watch. THere was a bunch of kids playing their guts out.. :thumb:

Edited by OLD PIRATE

Can someone help me out with this one. SP before 1993 was a ok team at best....after 1993 4 state titles and only 3 bad seasons in 17 years??

OK at best? 1969 State Champs. 1974 runner up. 1985 runner up. 1986 runner up. Only team in Tenn to play for a State title in every decade since the TSSAA started the playoff system. Before 69 we were pretty good too, winning a lot of SVC championships.

Edited by mj81870

Can someone help me out with this one. SP before 1993 was a ok team at best....after 1993 4 state titles and only 3 bad seasons in 17 years??

Feller, Old Pirate says the Pirates have played at a high level most years often losing to eventual state champions. The Pirates like every one else played in Bowl games prior to the 69 state championship. The Pirates oftened played teams much larger , 1 that readily comes to OP is Knox Powell in 1963 @ The Civitan Bowl. OP says the Pirates played a bunch from Cookville that had a couple of players you youngons may have heard about, Watson Brown-coach @ Tn. Tech and brother Mack Brown-coach @ the other "T" university-Texas.Prior to the state setting up the championship the Pirates were routinely successful winning SVC championships. Fact is the Pirates won more SVC championships than all the other schools combined. Not bad for a bunch of youngons the opposing coaches aften referred to as average talented players that weren't individually great but would put a whooping on you as a team. Teams & players often complained that the all black uniforms hid the futeball. Dad burnit, recon them fellers didn't knows the Pirates had maybe 5 plays and the famed 46 was run 90 %. Don't figure them DEs had much problem figuring out where the ball was a going even if they couldn't see it. :roflol:

The 68 Pirate team battled county rival Jasper in their annual season finally in the new Beene Stadium (now known as the SP Speedway). Both teams were undefeated coming in and the Warriors won giving the Pirates their 1st defeat on the new field.In the early 70's. the Pirates lost to Sweetwater 3 years in a row who finished runner-up in 70 to TPS( the team the Pirates 69 team beat) and state champs in 71 & 72. The Pirates again made it to the title game and lost @ home to Brentwood Academy. A pirate team led by Bo Haden lost to Stevenson, Ala for the 1st time in 12-14 years and eventually played Rockwood in a Bowl game. The 80s were successful with runner-up trophies with 1 game that should have been a win when Carl Lehr's 2 pt conversion as time expired was called wrongly short of the goal line. This game recieved a letter from the TSSAA regretfully saying the refs blew the call.

Recon you knows about the Pirates success in the 90s and that still continue to today. Hopefully OP has edu-kated yous a bit. :roflol:

Edited by OLD PIRATE

Feller, Old Pirate says the Pirates have played at a high level most years often losing to eventual state champions. The Pirates like every one else played in Bowl games prior to the 69 state championship. The Pirates oftened played teams much larger , 1 that readily comes to OP is Knox Powell in 1963 @ The Civitan Bowl. OP says the Pirates played a bunch from Cookville that had a couple of players you youngons may have heard about, Watson Brown-coach @ Tn. Tech and brother Mack Brown-coach @ the other "T" university-Texas.Prior to the state setting up the championship the Pirates were routinely successful winning SVC championships. Fact is the Pirates won more SVC championships than all the other schools combined. Not bad for a bunch of youngons the opposing coaches aften referred to as average talented players that weren't individually great but would put a whooping on you as a team. Teams & players often complained that the all black uniforms hid the futeball. Dad burnit, recon them fellers didn't knows the Pirates had maybe 5 plays and the famed 46 was run 90 %. Don't figure them DEs had much problem figuring out where the ball was a going even if they couldn't see it. :roflol:

The 68 Pirate team battled county rival Jasper in their annual season finally in the new Beene Stadium (now known as the SP Speedway). Both teams were undefeated coming in and the Warriors won giving the Pirates their 1st defeat on the new field.In the early 70's. the Pirates lost to Sweetwater 3 years in a row who finished runner-up in 70 to TPS( the team the Pirates 69 team beat) and state champs in 71 & 72. The Pirates again made it to the title game and lost @ home to Brentwood Academy. A pirate team led by Bo Haden lost to Stevenson, Ala for the 1st time in 12-14 years and eventually played Rockwood in a Bowl game. The 80s were successful with runner-up trophies with 1 game that should have been a win when Carl Lehr's 2 pt conversion as time expired was called wrongly short of the goal line. This game recieved a letter from the TSSAA regretfully saying the refs blew the call.

Recon you knows about the Pirates success in the 90s and that still continue to today. Hopefully OP has edu-kated yous a bit. :roflol:

Reckon that settled that! Moral: don't mess with OP. :roflol:

In 1976, SP lost to Rockwood 35-10 in a playoff game who moved up to AA the following year. Rockwood was the eventual 1976 State Champ in Class A. The '77 Team featuring Bo Haden at Tailback actually lost to Alcoa 17-0 in the semifinals of the Class A playoffs. The field at Alcoa was frozen like a block of ice. Alcoa was the eventual 1977 Class A state Champ. SP lost to Stevenson in 1976 13-0 and in 1977 11-9 according to my memory. Bo Haden played football at the University of Louisville. To my knowledge, SP never played a bowl game after the play-off system started. They were offered but SP declined in 1980.

Edited by rlh

In 1976, SP lost to Rockwood 35-10 in a playoff game who moved up to AA the following year. Rockwood was the eventual 1976 State Champ in Class A. The '77 Team featuring Bo Haden at Tailback actually lost to Alcoa 17-0 in the semifinals of the Class A playoffs. The field at Alcoa was frozen like a block of ice. Alcoa was the eventual 1977 Class A state Champ. SP lost to Stevenson in 1976 13-0 and in 1977 11-9 according to my memory. Bo Haden played football at the University of Louisville. To my knowledge, SP never played a bowl game after the play-off system started. They were offered but SP declined in 1980.

Dad burnit, Old Pirate says yous is bringing back some thinking, but bowl games were still around but eventually died off. The 70 or 71 Pirate team rejected a bowl appearance after missing the playoffs with 9-1 records (losses were to Sweetwater-staterunner up and state champs respectfully. OP remembers the 72 team that lost Bradley Green to a spinal cord injury and a little backup player by the name of Bruce Mitchell successfully replaced him. The 1972 team lost to Bridgeport Ala with Mississippi signee (David Coates) and yep you guessed it Sweetwater with Kippy Brown-former Tenn assistant coach and Anthony Oggs. Both went & played for Memphis State. The 72 team beat Ooltewah in a Bowl, but count remember the name. The Pirates finished 9-2 after the bowl win. The 72 team was coach Hale's senior year.

Recon yous were right about the Rockwood game being a playoff game and not a bowl but forgot about the 1977 Alcoa loss @ Alcoa. Leastways thats 2 more losses to eventual state champs. Both losses were cold but OP remembers the Rockwood game as the coldest game. OP never again went to a game without the jock again. :roflol:

Edited by OLD PIRATE

• 1 month later...