Whitehaven vs. MUS scrimmage 7/30/10

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MUS played their typical game. No apparent superstars. Good QB, huge o-line. The D is nothing spectacular but they read and pursue well. Small in size but they are in the right place at the right time which comes from good coaching. Not many mistakes. Whaven, huge offense and def line, athletic QB, quick running backs. They did fumble the snap a few times, fumble after the catch a couple of times. MUS caught them a couple of times with off snap count. When I left the score was 29-19. Whaven kicker missed extra points and they allowed MUS runback on an interception where the MUS kid was missed about five times on the tackle attempts. Whaven is full of talent although the little things kill them.

MUS played their typical game. No apparent superstars. Good QB, huge o-line. The D is nothing spectacular but they read and pursue well. Small in size but they are in the right place at the right time which comes from good coaching. Not many mistakes. Whaven, huge offense and def line, athletic QB, quick running backs. They did fumble the snap a few times, fumble after the catch a couple of times. MUS caught them a couple of times with off snap count. When I left the score was 29-19. Whaven kicker missed extra points and they allowed MUS runback on an interception where the MUS kid was missed about five times on the tackle attempts. Whaven is full of talent although the little things kill them.

No doubt about it!!! We have to get the small stuff in order so we can breakthourgh to the other side of the State Playoffs... that's the Semi-finals and beyond.

This years class of Seniors will get it done for us, but I just want to let some of u all who don't know but a lot of out top skill guys are 10th graders :lol:

Watched a few scrimmages this weekend, Both of the Southwind scrimmages, Saw Whitehaven and MUS briefly, and Hillcrest/Kingsbury.

Southwind "beat" Fairley, but White Station "beat" Southwind by a score of 9-0(Safety and TD), Both the Defenses looked killer, but I do think White Station secondary may be a weakness this year. Coach Rutherford loves to blitz so they should be alright against most teams. After the first drive White Station didn't do much, as Antonio Cheatam started getting hit a little bit harder and harder, and the Sophmore QB Jerry Thompson looked good running the read option, but his arm leaves something to be desired. As for Southwind they have alot of young, and new faces, but their defense looked good, Deadrick Jones and Chaz Powell made some nice plays in the secondaries. They have a kid from FLorida playing LB, man he's a missle. Their Offense struggled until the last drive.

The Hillcrest/Kingsbury game was somewhat sloppy, and I was surprised that Hillcrest basically ran away with the scrimmage, but it is just a scrimmage.

In other words I think Whitehaven's success will be determined by the coaching staff, White Station probably WON'T repeat as State Champs, this is Whitehaven's year in 6A honestly. I think Hillcrest and Kingsbury may be a little better than people think, and I'm positive Southwind will win more than 2 games this year.

Any word on other scrimmages coming up?

I was at the scrimmage between Fairley and Southwind. Southwind didn't beat Fairley. Both teams didn't score. Both teams defense were very agressive. I asked someone why Fairley didn't run Marcus Holliday but no one would respond. I also heard he didn't run against Ridgeway in scrimmage the next day as well. I was really looking foward to seeing him run. James Harmon from Fairley caught two beautiful interceptions. He has always been a good player. Even in his Southwind middle school playing days.

Southwind got a safety, only score of the game so yes they did "beat" Fairley and hence the quotation marks, but Holiday did run the ball for the few series, he had some fumbles and didn't play. I believe Harmon only had one INT, I honestly think Southwind was the better team, they had numerous oppurtunities to score in the redzone and with all the turnovers Fairley had, Southwind would've had more scoring chances in a real game, but both teams had alot of positives and negatives. I don't think Fairley showed their full arsenal, it was mostly Jet Sweeps, and Read Options. Why doesn't Harmon play more on Offense?

Southwind got a safety, only score of the game so yes they did "beat" Fairley and hence the quotation marks, but Holiday did run the ball for the few series, he had some fumbles and didn't play. I believe Harmon only had one INT, I honestly think Southwind was the better team, they had numerous oppurtunities to score in the redzone and with all the turnovers Fairley had, Southwind would've had more scoring chances in a real game, but both teams had alot of positives and negatives. I don't think Fairley showed their full arsenal, it was mostly Jet Sweeps, and Read Options. Why doesn't Harmon play more on Offense?

I have to correct you on this one my friend. Southwind didn't beat Fairley. Coach Miller is a good coach and will be successful at Southwind but they didn't "beat" Fairley. Marcus Holliday DID NOT scrimmage against Southwind or against Ridgeway and Kingsbury. The coaches decided to hold him out the entire weekend. Im not sure who you were looking at because Im his father and he was standing right next to me the entire weekend. As for James Harmon...he played extremely well and played great defense in addition to picking off a couple of passes during the course of the weekend. Coach Miller is doing a great job over at Southwind and Coach Slocum is doing an outstanding job as well. I wish both of my family members great success this upcoming season. And you're right...Fairley didn't display it's entire arsenal BUT they will soon enough. Good luck to everyone!!

1. I also thought Holiday played, so it sounds like a simple mistake.

2. To God1Football, Harmon only picked off one pass against Southwind.

3. Rasheed Raefer sacked Carnell Morgan in the endzone, thus a safety making the game 2-0.

4. Fairley fans notice JodyJoe put a quotation mark around the word BEAT, because this was just a scrimmage and the only points scored was a safety, once again if they didn't count safeties then it was tie..

5. I'm not on here trying to play a little peacekeeper, but this was just a scrimmage and both team's defenses looked playoff calibur and we all know the offenses weren't showing their big guns. Fairley's secondary probaby needs to work on some of the holes, as Southwind WRs got open, but couldn't make plays and its more of a mental and consistency thing with Southwind. Good game I wouldn't be surprised if the schools scheduled each other next year.