Greeneville vs Sullivan South Week 1

THSVikings2004

Guest footballfan100

pretty smart post there comp...putting that big guy (JC..i think) would def free up some space for the tailbacks. I just dont understand all the QB keepers. Why let your starting QB take such a beating...especially in the first game. Like him or not..ole Comp makes pretty good sense. wanna go to the sidelines and help a little with the play calling?

Guest footballfan100

pretty smart post there comp...putting that big guy (JC..i think)in the backfield would def free up some space for the tailbacks. I just dont understand all the QB keepers. Why let your starting QB take such a beating...especially in the first game. Like him or not..ole Comp makes pretty good sense. wanna go to the sidelines and help a little with the play calling?

Greeneville has it all. But most importantly they have Story. We won't run on them. They will run on us. Our only hope is to throw the ball. That didn't work too well last week. I would say Greenville would chew Knox West up and spit them out. They say the largest improvement is made between the first and second games. We will see. We have people out of position. I would put JC in the backfield. Either with Jordan or alone. If alone, I would put Jordan at slot. Get this guy in space. Why have a guy in the backfield and only give him the ball 6 carries? Story is one of the best LB's in the state. South is reputed to cause turnovers...not make them. It's only the second game. Only? This game tells the tale.

I here this "they say the largest improvement is made between the first and second games" alot on here. I heard it alot last year from DB fans. I suppose if it were true only for your team then it might be something to look forward to. But if its true then it would be true for all teams and that would make it a wash.

Greeneville has it all. But most importantly they have Story. We won't run on them. They will run on us. Our only hope is to throw the ball. That didn't work too well last week. I would say Greenville would chew Knox West up and spit them out. They say the largest improvement is made between the first and second games. We will see. We have people out of position. I would put JC in the backfield. Either with Jordan or alone. If alone, I would put Jordan at slot. Get this guy in space. Why have a guy in the backfield and only give him the ball 6 carries? Story is one of the best LB's in the state. South is reputed to cause turnovers...not make them. It's only the second game. Only? This game tells the tale.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment Comp. Garvin is a tall frame, not blessed with the quickest first step. He is the center of the passing attack. No passing, then no running in the spread. Unless some wideouts step up and challenge the D vertically, we will have problems.

If the QB has many carries compared to the RB,either he is scrambling alot and keeping to run because his WRs are covered on pass plays or that is his read on the called run. Against West it was a lot of both.

We would not even be discussing problems on offense were it not for 4 turnovers. I would "hide" JC at TE more and use Hub in the 2 back more.

• Upvote 1

I have a pair of the original Nike Vapor TD cleats. This is the lightest molded cleat ever made. The Dr. didn't like them. Only wore them in one game (8th grade championship). Only made them one year before they redesigned them. They are hot! A WR's dream. Somewhere around 7 oz. The next year when they redesigned them they added some graphics that took it to 10.5 ounces. That shoe is still in production. 10.5 is light but 7 ounces is just not there. 10.5 I think.

Anyway, Crawdad, you are correct. But, in high school you get the ball to your best athlete and however you have to do that is how you do it. When what you expect to work doesn't work then you have to go with a different plan. One thing I won't argue is until we get an air connection then we won't get respect in the box. Heath was taught by Curt and especially Bradley to throw the fade flag route to the corner. He knows the mechanics of that call. That is what practice should be concentrating on. It is most likely the toughest catch for a WR but impossible to defend against. And until we prove we can throw the long ball then the D is just going to hang out waiting for an easy kill.

I have a pair of the original Nike Vapor TD cleats. This is the lightest molded cleat ever made. The Dr. didn't like them. Only wore them in one game (8th grade championship). Only made them one year before they redesigned them. They are hot! A WR's dream. Somewhere around 7 oz. The next year when they redesigned them they added some graphics that took it to 10.5 ounces. That shoe is still in production. 10.5 is light but 7 ounces is just not there. 10.5 I think.

Anyway, Crawdad, you are correct. But, in high school you get the ball to your best athlete and however you have to do that is how you do it. When what you expect to work doesn't work then you have to go with a different plan. One thing I won't argue is until we get an air connection then we won't get respect in the box. Heath was taught by Curt and especially Bradley to throw the fade flag route to the corner. He knows the mechanics of that call. That is what practice should be concentrating on. It is most likely the toughest catch for a WR but impossible to defend against. And until we prove we can throw the long ball then the D is just going to hang out waiting for an easy kill.

I've wondered what cleats Greeneville,D-B,and SH's skill players would wear on those surfaces. Our kids seem to think standard cleats are fine. Seems like what you are describing would be the bomb (for the bomb). Maybe after Greeneville we could entice those interested to upgrade for the other two games on turf.

In regards to offensive diversity for the Rebels,we definitely need more playmakers to emerge. Bobby and Taylor were good reeivers out of the backfield. We have not seen that other than attempted screens. Also, I would nominate Steffey as the guy with speed that needs to make the field stretching catches.

I've wondered what cleats Greeneville,D-B,and SH's skill players would wear on those surfaces. Our kids seem to think standard cleats are fine. Seems like what you are describing would be the bomb (for the bomb). Maybe after Greeneville we could entice those interested to upgrade for the other two games on turf.

In regards to offensive diversity for the Rebels,we definitely need more playmakers to emerge. Bobby and Taylor were good reeivers out of the backfield. We have not seen that other than attempted screens. Also, I would nominate Steffey as the guy with speed that needs to make the field stretching catches.

I think you are both correct in certain parts, but you might be missing one important factor. The QB must have time to find recievers...and he hasn't had as much as he needs. Part of this is because we lack a little size and experience up front. The other factor is that it takes him too long to scan the field, that is why he finds the tight end. He's a big, easy target. We have the recievers, just need to put it all together and that will be a challenge this week. And Crawdad is right, our TE is a TE. You don't see Witten taking handoffs either...and there is a reason. Besides, the RBs didn't run bad last week. We just didn't incorporate them enough.

• Upvote 1

I watched the line last week. Their technique was fine on pass defense. Maybe they didn't hold their block as long as needed but there is a limit here. Wests' LB's were just always in the right place. The short route recievers were mostly covered with exceptions but the deep routes were open...all night. I know it takes time to throw the deep route but the corners and the OLB's were giving us the deep route. Heath understands the deep route as well as our best legacy QB's. If he is instructed to look to that route first then I see success. And if Steffey is the choice, then so be it. From my point of view we have a few choices for that scenerio. I like them all. I would like nothing more than for Jordan to have a break out Senior season but I see him understilyzed. Not privy to those reasons why and don't care, I just want it to click. But JC has power and I see that asset needed in many places and the backfield is one. As negative as I sound I think that they will present well this week. I have a good feeling about it.

pretty smart post there comp...putting that big guy (JC..i think) would def free up some space for the tailbacks. I just dont understand all the QB keepers. Why let your starting QB take such a beating...especially in the first game. Like him or not..ole Comp makes pretty good sense. wanna go to the sidelines and help a little with the play calling?

The two back set always in the past played havoc for the LB's. The Deuce, and the Dr. did not like the two back set...I would imagine most proprietary RB's would not however, out of this offense it causes total confusion in the middle and also allows the QB to pull a train.

In regard to turf, my son was not finicky. But watching Seabolt last week at J Fred i saw him slipping incessantly. Yes it was damp but he wears turf shoes which is what the Dr. wore last year. He did not like them. So I guess it's personal preference. I would think moulded would work better than detatchable but how would I know. What I would do is take their detatchable cleats and use standard 1/2" cleats and remove them and do a little grinding action on them. I always wanted to be an engineer.

If South scores 3 tds on this D they will have to throw it DOWN THE FIELD...and they have to stop Spradlin and Carmichael.

I agree that South will have to put it up more and limit their turnovers in the process.It will take a very fast team to run against the Devils.Once you get past the front,some yards can be gained.Getting past the line and backers is not that easy however.Stopping The Greene Devil running game will take some horses as well,and then you have to deal with a pretty good passing team.Nothing is a given,but I think South will have to play it's best and maybe get a break.From talking to my friends in the Kingsport area,that break will never come from the zebras .

In regard to turf, my son was not finicky. But watching Seabolt last week at J Fred i saw him slipping incessantly. Yes it was damp but he wears turf shoes which is what the Dr. wore last year. He did not like them. So I guess it's personal preference. I would think moulded would work better than detatchable but how would I know. What I would do is take their detatchable cleats and use standard 1/2" cleats and remove them and do a little grinding action on them. I always wanted to be an engineer.